cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet and Safe Surfing/Web Filtering

Kevin4President

PlusNet and Safe Surfing/Web Filtering

I have two PCs, a laptop, a notebook and several smartphones all on our home network. I would like to be able to activate Safe Surfing/Web Filtering/Parental Controls on what sites are accessible. With so many devices I don't want to do this on each device - I just want to switch it on on the router or at PlusNet. But unlike some ISP's, PlusNet does not have a Safe Surfing setting. I have the default PlusNet router. This does have some filtering, but I have to manually setup permitted and banned websites - and given the hundreds that I use, I can't possibly do that manually. So come on PlusNet, please let's have a Safe Surfing option that we can switch on your end. Any plans for one? Would any other users want this? Please let me know. I appreciate this won't be 100% effective. But something is better than nothing.
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PlusNet and Safe Surfing/Web Filtering

Hi there,
While there are no plans currently I've made sure that this idea will received internal visibility, we'll certainly update you as and when we get any progress. Please don't expect anything particularly soon though, I'm afraid the development of new tools can take a long time. The more support that's added here though the more likely it is that something will happen Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can have a look at OpenDNS, change your DNS on your router and you can filter out a lot of sites.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

... which can be very, very easily bypassed by changing the DNS settings on the PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Several devices / services have been tested in the past - but none of them (sadly  Embarrassed )  were deemed good enough to put into service.
Perhaps there is now a better product that CAN  defeat the very Savvy teenagers AND be easy to manage AND not dominated by USA based data?
I remain optimistic  Cheesy
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samo
Dabbler

Hi
Can I just add my vote here for any tools / functions to do a central parental control. Like others here we have a plethora of devices (none of which have Windows O/S) and it's not feasible to block the "savvies"
I appreciate that nothing's coming soon but the more voices....
Cheers
Samo