cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Broadband Faults - Our Experience

theFlash
Grafter

PlusNet Broadband Faults - Our Experience

I am the first to admit that our initial broadband problem was down to a local telephone socket issue and was quickly rectified. However, what has happened since has caused some concern.
We were unaware that a socket had been inadvertantly knocked and overnight had affected the broadband connection. Once we noticed a connection issue, we called PlusNet to see if there were any service issues (we've experienced a few of theses since wee joined a few months ago). As there were none, we double checked everything and found the issue within minutes, and let PlusNet know by way of the support messaging system. Once rectified the router connected reliably as it had done before, except for the fact that our download speed had now been limited to approximately 0.3 mb/s.
We notified PlusNet support and they informed us that BT set a cap on the speed when there has been a connection issue and this automatically resolves within 24 hours.
24 hours later and the speed is still 0.3 mb/s, so we call PlusNet again. At the same time we received several engineer messages saying either the line was now up to speed (which it wasn't) or that another person has changed several settings to make our connection more reliable (which it was anyway, and we didn't want the settings changed). The new faults advisor said he couldn't see any cap but decided he'd lower our PlusNet profile to 6mb instead! This was against our wishes, achieved nothing,  and now we have a broadband capped by both PlusNet and BT which we didn't want, resulting in a very stable 0.4 Mb/s!
I know it says "up to 20mb", but we were at least getting speeds 7-9mb up until this all happened. Our questions to PlusNet are:
- Why don't the engineers read the latest messages before messing with the settings (i.e. this is not now a connection issue but a speed/capping one)?
- Why change our PlusNet profile to a speed lower than what we were obtaining when we specifically asked him not to and it has no beneficial affect on this issue?
- Why can't all your representatives see the limit imposed by BT on the loca exchange? It took me 5 minutes using the BT Speedchecker to see the words "IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps".
- Why can't you remove the BT cap?? (and yours for that matter).
I have to say I've been happy with PlusNet, despite some very annoying broaband outages that affected many of us. However, this issue has gone from bad to worse and it appears no one reads the customers notes. We're not on contract so there is always that option, but we remain in hope over the next few hours that someone will flick the right switch and return our settings to what they were a few days ago.
😞
27 REPLIES 27
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: PlusNet Broadband Faults - Our Experience

First, if all the points you have mentioned have been contained in the same ticket, this is yet another example of CSC agents failing to read ticket history properly. This has long been a big thorn which we've moaned about many many times, and here we are, it's still an issue.
As far as your "fault" itself, if you can post the following information, we may be able to give some constructive advice.
The latest complete results from the BT speedtester.
The Current Line speed at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (login required)
Your current modem/router ADSL line stats. If you are not sure how to get these, try http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php or http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/ for guidance. In the latter link select your modem/router and goto section 5 after selecting your hardware..
theFlash
Grafter

Hi,
Yes all the points were logged in the same ticket - the replies seem to totally ignore what we've written like they can't see it. They're causing me and themselves a lot mroe work by not doing so.
A. The BT Speedchecker Results:
-------------------------------------------
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed:
0.39 Mbps

Max Achievable Speed
0.5 Mbps
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.39 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.36 Mbps

Max Achievable Speed 
0.45 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

B. Current Line Speed According to PlusNet
------------------------------------------------------------
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    6.1 Mb
C. ADSL Line Stats
------------------------- 
ATM Statistics
TX Cells: 507505
RX Cells: 3993538
TX CRC errs: 0
RX CRC errs: 0
Uptime: 6:00:27  (we reset the conneciton ourselves 6 hours ago)
ADSL Status
Mode:ADSL2+(G.992.5)
State: SHOWTIME
Up Speed: 440000
Down Speed : 574315
SNR Margin: 20
Loop Att.: 35

Note that we beleive the SNR Margin got higher (it was 7 we think) since PlusNet started fiddling with the settings. Some of the representatives seem to see the cap apparently imposed by BT of 0.5MB but other say its not there so try changing other settings. We have made it abundantly clear in the notes to look at the bt capping.
Thank you for your help. Its a shame PlusNet haven't responded.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As you say - it has been banded and needs fixing
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'll make sure the issue of the ticket history is raised and addressed with the agents who picked the ticket up. I'm happy to say though that an order to remove the modified fault rate calculation has been placed and should complete on Monday for you, which should improve the speeds and I've also requested another SNR reset which should remove the 0.5Mb profile on there currently.
Hope that does help, I'll make sure to check things for you first thing on Monday to make sure the order is complete and that things have improved.
Anotherone
Champion

Concur with Jim there, if you don't have a line fault you should be able to get sync speeds of around 11Mbps, throughput around 10Mbps.
Also that current Downstream sync speed must surely be well below the Fault Threshold, so let's hope Matt's action will resolve things for you.
theFlash
Grafter

Sorry Matt but I heard that today and again 24 hours ago - please read the notes.
We're going round in circles here. As you will see when looking at the notes a request to reset the line (i.e. remove the cap) was already sent and should have happened. I am not happy about now waiting until Monday when I've already been told twice over to wait 24 hours, with no results.
Someone needs to take a closer look as its not worked twice over.
Any why impose the 6 MB plusnet profile - can you remove that please?Huh
theFlash
Grafter

I eat my words. Matt has obvioulsy pushed the correct buttons. Download speed is now 7.5 MB, SNR 5.
Thank you.
Wish I didn't have to publicly display my displeasure to get it fixed (or maybe that was a cooincidence).
Ronski
Rising Star

I have to agree with you about going around in circles, and also the agent clearly not reading the notes, although in our case it's not all down to PN, a lot is down to BT OR, but I do feel the CS agents could do far better. Glad you problem's sorted.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

TBH failure to read notes and similar is not a problem confined to Plusnet. IMO it is the fruit of the performance driven systems. Those encourage a "get it off the desk, so I keep my performance up" mind set. That way difficult cases get the worst outcomes.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
theFlash
Grafter

I have to say that I eat my words again. The broadband service we are experiencing is very poor. The service was great for about one day, then it reduces to a terrible speed once more.  We now have this:
BT Speedchecker Data
-----------------------------------
Download  Speed
0.31 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.31 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.86 Mbps
ADSL Stats
---------------
TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
6825 158275 0 0
Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 444937 6648000 6 35
Firstly the IP profile for the line has reduced to below that we used to get, and look at that download speed.
Rebooting the rooter works for while (the download was 5.5mb after rebooting - still slower than previously, but at least usable).There are also some RX CRC errors that creep in after a while - which weren't as numerous previously.
Our connection is 'stable', just eventually gets very slow. Before I ask PlusNet, can anyone suggest what may have been changed at the PlusNet end to cause this?
I ask because it was fine until various engineers changed settings that we didn't want them to which may be a coincidence.
After rebooting the router, the RX CRC errors stay stable at zero for a while and the download speed is as follows:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.46 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 5.86 Mbps
Thanks in advance.
Anotherone
Champion

The IP profile for your line as reported by the BT speedtester is correct for the sync speed you currently have, the question is why is that sync speed now slower? You say your line is stable, but your sync speed keeps changing.
Do you keep the modem/router on 24/7 or do you turn it off when not in use? - if so and you turn it on in the evening, noise levels are generally higher and you will get a slower sync speed.
When posting line stats from the modem/router a fuller report similar to that in reply #2 is more informative.
Do you have any extension sockets and is everything plugged in via filters including such things as Sky boxes?
theFlash
Grafter

Hi there,
Sorry the stats are as below. The RX CRC Errors suddenly start increasing from a stable zero about 9 minutes after connecting, and the download speed then gradually reduces.  I had to reboot the router several times this evening or I'd hardly be able to load a page. Otherwise it is left on. The only other items connected to the sockets are 2 telephones and they are both using filters. There are extension sockets, but they have not changed. The set up is exactly as before when it was working ok, but now things grind to a halt. When I say the line is 'stable' I mean it doesn't disconnect. I only mention this because the PlusNet engineers seem to be fixating on a connection issue which never existed as opposed to a speed issue, which this appears to be? (allbeit a rather large speed issue).
The below result were taken some 20 minutes after a router reboot, when download speeds were variable but ok, and the RX CRC errors were gradulally creeping up.
ADSL STATISTICS
--------------------------
TX Cells
RX Cells
TX CRC errs
RX CRC errs
Mode
ADSL2+(G.992.5)
State
SHOWTIME
Up Speed
Down Speed
SNR Margin
Loop Att.
Uptime
0:21:52

BT Speedchecker
-----------------------
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.27 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.35 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.35Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

ACCORDING TO PLUSNET
--------------------------------------
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
    7.1 Mb
Anotherone
Champion

I'm suspecting that the Plusnet faults people thought your reboots were drops. I suggest from now on, keep a record of what you do & when.
I wouldn't reboot for a while either for 2 reasons - the exchange DLM will see too many as a dropping connection and raise the Target SNRM with resultant slower speed, and we also need to see how quickly these errors are building up. It could get frustrating if your throughput speed slows but bear with it a little bit. I'll post a bit more in a moment.
Anotherone
Champion

Can you check the Current Line speed in case it's changed. Check which Gateway you are on.
Also check your Exchange VP Status . Now throughput can slow down when there is congestion so don't rush to change something just because you get a one off slow speed test. Speed throughput results can vary by the second.
If things get consistently bad over the next couple of hours, try a Gateway hop by logging into your modem/router interface. You should see a button marked "Disconnect" next to where it says 'Connected'. Click on "Disconnect"  - this drops the 'ppp' session (not the sync). When the 'Connected' changes to 'Disconnected' the button should become "Connect". Check which Gateway you are now on.
Can you post some more stats so we can see how things have changed.