cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please sort my broadband issues

HILARYHANDLEY

Please sort my broadband issues

We've had broadband issues since the beginning of February - briefly, at around 4pm each day we're still connected to the Internet but websites etc. won't load properly, we can't connect to a company VPN, can't use Sky On Demand etc. We've opened "questions" on the help and support section of the Plusnet website and it's taken all this time to get absolutely nowhere.
We're paying for a service we're not receiving so we'll be expecting some sort of refund when this is finally sorted out.
We're heartily sick of it and if someone doesn't sort this within the next couple of days, we'll be changing our ISP.
Someone with some knowhow and authority - SORT THIS OUT.
jim:red All caps in title corrected as per Forum Rule mod:end
16 REPLIES 16
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Please sort my broadband issues

Hi HILARYHANDLEY,
Really sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced.
We will wait until 4pm today as you mentioned this is when the problems seem to happen and we'll try to replicate this from our end.
I can see you've started to raise a fault today, however, you've not finished going through the troubleshooter. Please complete this at your earliest convenience so that this is raised to our Faults team.
We'll post an update after 4pm once we've investigated this further.
HILARYHANDLEY

I didn't realise what the troubleshooter was when I started it ( at the suggestion of someone on your tech support who couldn't help me). We're way beyond that sort of messing about and I don't know how many more times I have to say it.
The issue will start between 4 and 5pm so don't just look at 4pm and think it's ok like some of your colleagues have.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not a problem, we will monitor this between 4pm and 5pm today.
We do require that you finish the troubleshooter as this will need to be completed should our Faults team need to send an engineer out to you or investigate this further. I can appreciate that this has been ongoing for some time but the troubleshooter will still need to be completed in order for us to have a chance to resolve this issue for you.
HILARYHANDLEY

This becomes more of a joke by the minute! Why has it taken this long to get this far - ie nowhere???????????????
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

You've mentioned that the problem appears between 4pm-5pm.
We;'re going to use one of our testing machines in the office to try and replicate the problem. Without replicating the problem it's going to be very, very difficult for us to put our finger what the cause of the problem is.
I appreciate the issue is frustrating, we just need to try and replicate the issue to get to the bottom of it.
picbits
Rising Star

Just to put some input in, I had an issue with my server dropping connections at certain times of the day (normally around lunchtime and early evening) and it took me ages to work it out.
Turned out to be that every time we used the Microwave oven, it interfered with the wireless and the server would drop it's connection.
A friend of mine had a similar issue but it wasn't wireless related - his connection would drop at a certain time every evening but the time moved by a few minutes every evening. Turned out to be a faulty street light and this messed about with the connection until it heated up.
The procedures Plusnet are asking you to do for the fault checker appear to be there to rule out the normal customer generated issues which could result in a charge by BT Openreach if an engineer is called out and the fault is found to have been caused by the customer (i.e. wrongly configured wireless or dodgy telephone extension wiring).
Out of curiosity, does the fault happen on both the wired and wireless connections ?
HILARYHANDLEY

This issue starts between 4 and 5 every day and lasts the whole of the rest of the evening/night so it's not a microwave or anything like that.
As an aside, I have no idea why the row of angry question marks I put turned into a row of smiley faces.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The bb code for that smiley is  Huh
abstruse21
Grafter

Last time I had an internet issue that started around 4-5pm and lasted the rest of the night.. turned out it was the local school kids coming home followed by their parents returning from work and clogging all the exchange capacity (high ratio of users on the exchange modems 50:1 at that time I believe) browsing, chatting & gaming all evening.. may have been a problem with the actual hardware in the exchange that tripped up when traffic got high.. cant remember the full issue now but def traffic related)
This was 2 ISP's ago and a different address to where I am now however.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi HILARYHANDLEY,
We've tested your connection to replicate any of the issues you've detailed and we couldn't find any of the issues. I would advise finishing the troubleshooter so that this is raised to our Faults team so that they can investigate further.
Sorry we couldn't find the issue.
HILARYHANDLEY

I have finished the troubleshooter.
I can't tell you how sick of all this I am - I will be telling your CEO though.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi HILARYHANDLEY,
I'm picking up the fault ticket that you raised yesterday.
Any ideas when you might be available for an engineers visit? Our suppliers operate Monday - Friday and offer two different timeslots which are 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm.
If you could let me know, I'll get an engineer booked in for you.
DoughPea
Dabbler

Mine was my neighbour from the upstairs flat.
They had a kitchen light from the ark, and each night when they got in from work it was turned on and not turned off.
We only got to the bottom of it once they went on holiday, and our wireless connection became unbelievably stable for 2 weeks xD
The question about it being a wired or wireless connection would rule alot out if the computer in question was wired.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just to check the bleeding obvious - this isn't a user on an account where peak time starts at 4pm and they've gone over their allowance?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)