cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned maintenance info - if Zen can do it why can't Plusnet?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Planned maintenance info - if Zen can do it why can't Plusnet?

No losses of sync reported Sat night/Sun morning, but router reports 13 losses of sync overnight Sun/Mon, the earliest of which was at 2143 - another unwelcome first, and no planned maintenance currently reported by the Zen website.
Sun 22/02 loss of sync 2143, 2341
Mon 23/02 loss of sync 0022, 0038, 0041, 0049, 0057, 0117, 0128, 0152, 0336, 0408, 0438
This his been on-going since 28/1 and is getting worse - would someone from CRT PLEASE advise whether this is due to maintenance at or affecting SHARROW exchange customers (it is in PlusNet's 'home city' after all.  ::))
If it isn't could you please look at my line stats - if necessary I will raise a ticket, although there are still no drops I'm aware of other than at the times listed in this thread.
AndyH
Grafter

Do you have any electrical devices that might be going on/off during these times?
JayG
Pro

A group of 4 nearby street lamps have been on 24/7 for several months (apart from a short spell when they failed entirely) but given that they are a permanent 'feature' of any background noise I am assuming they can be discounted.
Apart from that, everything that could be thought of as potentially suspicious is shut down and/or unplugged - it ought to be the quietest time of the day as far as electrically-induced noise is concerned (I can only speak for my immediate surroundings of course, although it would be fair to say there are very few 'nocturnal' types of people round these parts!)
JayG
Pro

Quote from: JayG
This his been on-going since 28/1 and is getting worse - would someone from CRT PLEASE advise whether this is due to maintenance at or affecting SHARROW exchange customers (it is in PlusNet's 'home city' after all.  ::))
If it isn't could you please look at my line stats - if necessary I will raise a ticket, although there are still no drops I'm aware of other than at the times listed in this thread.

Well, a deafening silence from CRT, one further single loss of sync at 0602 on Tues 24th Feb, none since (now Fri 27th Feb.)
Zen status checker reported maintenance possibly affecting my connection in the early hours of 26th Feb, but no apparent drops here.
I think it's fair to conclude that you are basically on your own if suffering repeated overnight losses of sync, and can only look for a pattern to them and hope they are due to prolonged maintenance work. The Zen broadband status checker is better than nothing, but certainly hasn't accounted for the entire sequence of drops I have experienced.
Yours, nervously, JayG.  Undecided
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

If you want help looking at repeated disconnects, can you please gather and post the information requested in the speed issues thread under ADSL.  Alternatively raise a fault report here - http://faults.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JayG
Pro

Not in poor Jem16's league, but had my username rung a bell you would probably recall that I have done a great deal of monitoring for one reason or another over the last 4 months, but thanks anyway!  Cheesy
1 loss of sync and 1 PPP drop early this morning (Sun) - the first since Tuesday (at any time of day or night.)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

JayG,
You post a lot in many threads, so no your username did not ring any particular belles, but since you've prompted me, I have looked back and found that you discontinued posting here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133845.msg1194122.html#msg1194122 and moved on to this new thread which appears to seek to imply that your disconnections can be explained away by un-forecast BT engineering activity... which you are not happy that PlusNet do not make public.
It appears that the other thread did not reach any particular conclusion, but some of the graphs there look grim - those problems need to be resolved.  I see that you've had help from one of the best forum members around here for these problems - Anotherone - seems like you gave up on that activity?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JayG
Pro

The title suggests otherwise, but the thread you have linked to turned out to be about the tsunami of CRC errors which almost swept away my connection on 2 separate occasions, and with two separate TG582n's (I'd been using a Netgear 834v4 for several years with no problems up until that point.)
As you say, Anotherone was a great help, but in the end the cause of the errors was never established and the connection settled down, albeit with slightly inferior stats (namely U/S interleaving and banding,) which is how it remains to this day.
This thread was started because of a completely new issue, that of regular sync drops, almost exclusively in the early hours of the morning, and yes, I did and still do find it frustrating that an ISP can regularly interrupt your service (even if it's at night) without having to make any serious effort to warn you about it (imagine the same thing happening with your gas, electricity, or phone service.)
Without that information no-one is in a position to rule anything either in or out as a possible cause, and until I see similar drops occurring during daytime/evenings, and/or anything untoward in the DSL stats, I don't feel I have a technical fault I can realistically raise a ticket for.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think it's likely that the number and kind of drops you experienced could possibly be attributed to night time work at your exchange. Drops due to maintenance don't usually drop the DSL connection, usually it's just the PPP session. It could be just a single PPP disconnection, but rarely there might be half an hour or so during which you get re-directed to a BTWholesale holding page.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

JayG,
There is no evidence that these drops are due to maintenance... but you seem to know best. Good luck!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I have spent sometime re-reading this thread in an attempt to make some constructive response - that is going to be difficult.
I feel there is a number of unfair comments made in this thread by various parties which a small amount of research may have avoided!
Quote from: AndyH
Do you have any electrical devices that might be going on/off during these times?

All that was considered in his other very long thread.
Quote from: Townman
It appears that the other thread did not reach any particular conclusion, but some of the graphs there look grim - those problems need to be resolved.  I see that you've had help from one of the best forum members around here for these problems - Anotherone - seems like you gave up on that activity?

I don't think JayG gave upon that thread, neither come to that did I. It was still on my list to go back to, to see if anything new had come up that could help pin-point the causes. This thread clearly shows that there is something new.
Quote from: ejs
I don't think it's likely that the number and kind of drops you experienced could possibly be attributed to night time work at your exchange.

There is no evidence that these drops are due to maintenance... but you seem to know best. Good luck!

Not entirely true, I agree it's unlikely that all the drops are down to local exchange maintenance. JayG's list shows only some may be accounted for by such work. The Zen status checker suggests that local exchange maintenance might be responsible for some drops
Unfortunately, the document that you get from the link given by CP3 in reply #11 is 2 years out of date. Whilst it's disappointing that no-one has found out whether BTw work may have affected JayG's connection, there have been cases where it's been more certain that possibility exists, yet getting information out of BTw can be like getting blood out of a stone and so no-one bothers to check.
As mentioned by CP1 in his first response to this thread, the PEW issue has been raised several times before, whilst some of his own SS notices have been more informative of late (thanks for that Chris), I have seen some SS notices in the past with more exchange detail, but they are very rare.
Without that information no-one is in a position to rule anything either in or out as a possible cause, and until I see similar drops occurring during daytime/evenings, and/or anything untoward in the DSL stats, I don't feel I have a technical fault I can realistically raise a ticket for.

If you want help looking at repeated disconnects, can you please gather and post the information requested in the speed issues thread under ADSL.  Alternatively raise a fault report here - http://faults.plus.net

That, as you ought to know, particularly as you had posted in his long thread and should have re-read, would likely be a complete waste of time especially as it has been done previously and there was nothing further that could be done. In cases like this where on the face of it there isn't any obvious explanation for the issues, the frustration leads one to blame what might seem to be anything reasonable. JayG is no doubt tearing his hair out, as would I be if I had a similar problem, I suggest you recall your issues at Tunnel Top before you discovered the true cause.
I think it's fair to conclude that you are basically on your own if suffering repeated overnight losses of sync, and can only look for a pattern to them and hope they are due to prolonged maintenance work. The Zen broadband status checker is better than nothing, but certainly hasn't accounted for the entire sequence of drops I have experienced.

Probably a reasonable hope for something new that has arisen where there is some evidence that local exchange work may be going on, but otherwise .........................................but a thread on here means you aren't entirely on your own Wink
@JayG
To be perfectly honest, I don't think there is any point in pursuing this thread any further. The topic of the thread title has been raised a few times before and putting my cynics hat on, I don't think Plusnet have any intention of improving the reporting of PEWs and we will have to continue to rely on the likes of Zen and Andrews & Arnold. Even BT Business status information can be helpful on occasions.
As far as your issues are concerned, perhaps post a brief summary of the recent & latest incidents on your thread where all the history is there. Maybe something that hasn't been looked at or thought of, or a different way of looking at it, may come up to help find the cause of the issues.
JayG
Pro

JayG,

Well, at least you've got it half right, although I could have done without the dismissive sarcasm!
The point is I don't 'know best', in fact the more I find out the less I actually know!
As Anotherone has very supportively pointed out, I had the line checked out during the previous 'CRC tsunami saga', and despite the drops the line parameters have remained stable throughout this latest saga.
The timing of the drops, which with the odd late evening exception have ONLY been in the early hours of the mornings, luckily doesn't impact on my usage of the connection, and are likely to be caused by something extremely difficult to track down, so I've had to make a judgement, all things considered, as to whether raising a ticket is likely to pay dividends.
In the meantime of course, I can only hope that, like the massive CRC bursts, the sync drops just go away.  Undecided
Agree with AO that there is little point pursuing the subject of the publishing of planned maintenance information, because it clearly isn’t going to happen, and because there is a possibility there is some relationship between the previous problems and the current ones, I shall update my previous thread as suggested.
Current DSL stats (12 days router uptime but further overnight drops, so FEC/CRC/HEC errors reset):
Uptime: 0 days, 4:27:32

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 12,003

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 198.49 / 3.41

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.7 / 37.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 7.3

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 326 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 37 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 8,489 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 129 / 61,200

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 230

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3,750
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

JayG / Anitherone,
There are thousands of threads across these forums.  Do you honestly expect people to research individual's postings before posting? If you do, sorry I did not, for as Anotherone is fond if saying I have other things to spend such time on.
This thread as Anotherone suggests is going nowhere.  It is a litany of repeated night time disconnects which JayG seeks to suggest are related to unpublished (by PN) PEWs.  As pointed out by others, the symptoms being reported do not match the profile of PEW related disconnections.  Therefore the cause must be something else.
Only at the point of seeking to offer help in THIS thread to profile the issue using standard methods was it disclosed that this path has been followed before, albeit reaching no conclusions.  That thread did not achive any closure on the issue and had unanswered responses, hence abandonment is accurate.
To reject the suggestion that what has been started should be concluded leaves no avenue to afford assistance - forgive me, but that does come across as a drowning man rejecting a helping hand.
Fragmentation of long standing issues across multiple threads - certainly without cross linking - helps no one; neither the person with the problem nor those seeking to offer assistance.  I note that there has been limited inout from CRT on thus issue - could that be because a formal fault report has not been raised?

JayG
Pro

Only at the point of seeking to offer help in THIS thread to profile the issue using standard methods was it disclosed that this path has been followed before, albeit reaching no conclusions.  That thread did not achive any closure on the issue and had unanswered responses, hence abandonment is accurate.
To reject the suggestion that what has been started should be concluded leaves no avenue to afford assistance - forgive me, but that does come across as a drowning man rejecting a helping hand.

'Abandonment' implies that I simply walked away from it, having given up co-operating and answering the questions of those trying to help, whereas what actually happened, after a lengthy and detailed investigation, was that no-one was able to explain what caused the problems in the first place, or indeed why they went away.
The thread was going nowhere, and you might like to note that it was my last post that actually posed questions which weren't, and still haven't been, answered.
Fragmentation of long standing issues across multiple threads - certainly without cross linking - helps no one; neither the person with the problem nor those seeking to offer assistance.  I note that there has been limited inout from CRT on thus issue - could that be because a formal fault report has not been raised?

As far as I was concerned this was a new issue, on the face of it having nothing in common with the previous one and therefore not 'a long standing issue' - you should know as well as anyone that topics often finish up in a very different place from where they started.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

5 paragraphs to say all that should have been needed in a couple of sentences.
Do you honestly expect people to research individual's postings before posting? If you do, sorry I did not, for as Anotherone is fond if saying I have other things to spend such time on.

I don't recall having ever said anything remotely like that last comment in relation to checking peoples previous posts.
As we have both done on many occasions, a brief look at the poster's previous posts is always wise, which I usually do - especially having posted in their threads.
This thread as Anotherone suggests is going nowhere. It is a litany of repeated night time disconnects which JayG seeks to suggest are related to unpublished (by PN) PEWs.  As pointed out by others, the symptoms being reported do not match the profile of PEW related disconnections.  Therefore the cause must be something else.

WRONG, I said completely the opposite
Quote from: Anotherone
The Zen status checker suggests that local exchange maintenance might be responsible for some drops

Unless you can prove otherwise, don't make unequivocal statements to the contrary.
Only at the point of seeking to offer help in THIS thread to profile the issue using standard methods was it disclosed that this path has been followed before, albeit reaching no conclusions.  That thread did not achive any closure on the issue and had unanswered responses, hence abandonment is accurate.

Cobblers. Just because a thread hasn't been posted in for a while doesn't mean it's been abandoned, it means no-one has anything germane to add that can progress it further at the time.

My immediate reaction to that remark is what the hell are you on about - don't bother answering though - I don't really have the time to read a load of unnecessarily verbose waffle.
I note that there has been limited inout from CRT on thus issue - could that be because a formal fault report has not been raised?

I doubt it very much, as I stated
......putting my cynics hat on, I don't think Plusnet have any intention of improving the reporting of PEWs......

Chris Parr had already responded in this thread and there's been nothing new or different in relation to the title of the thread that is going to change Plusnet's view on this.
And finally,
I don't feel I have a technical fault I can realistically raise a ticket for.
with which I agreed
....... as you ought to know, particularly as you had posted in his long thread and should have re-read, would likely be a complete waste of time ....

especially when you see posts like
Quote from: scotland731
I have today reported an ongoing issue with my ADSL where Plusnet can see 2 -3 disconnections, however I have been told this is an acceptable number of drops.

I think continuing to post in this thread is just wasting everyone's time.
Endof.