cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone support and their computers

Shutty666
Dabbler

Phone support and their computers

Well that was an interesting experience. I just got through to someone at plusnet in record time. Less then 5 minutes in fact. Problem was they couldn't help me at all.
All I want to do is get my bill down and take advantage of one of the lovely new offers. However I was told that the computers are not working and they couldn't do anything right now and that I was to call back in a couple of hours. I was then told that I 'might' be able to have my broadband provided for £10.99 per month for 24 months but that depended on whether I was in Market 2 or Market 3. What the hell does that mean? I can accept that computers go wrong but surely you can call me back not the other way around? What does this Market 2/3 thing actually mean? Are you really only offering deals to particular areas?
I have only ever had good customer service from plusnet in the past but having looked around on this forum in the last few minutes it would appear that I'm now in for a rough ride. Can anyone out there give me enough good reasons to stay with plusnet? Some of the deals elsewhere are starting to look tempting....
15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Phone support and their computers

Hi there,
Sorry you weren't able to get the answer you were looking for on the phone this morning. This page should give you the information about market areas: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/uk-area-cost-guide.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Shutty666
Dabbler

Thanks for that Chris. However that still doesn't answer any of my other queries and it also doesn't actually answer whether I'm in Market  2/3 or not.
To say I'm feeling like plusnet has gone down the pan after reading some of the things on here this morning is an understatement. Can someone (not from plusnet) give me any kind of reassurance that I'm going to do the right thing here by staying?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You should be able to confirm your exchange classification be entering details here: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search once you identify the exchange it should give the Ofcom Classifiction on the bottom right of the exchange information page.
[Edit] Oldjim's suggestion below is simpler and more direct.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Put your phone number in http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and if you are in Market B or Market 2/3 then you will get the cheaper deals
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Simples; put your number in here and see Market Classification
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
If there's competition in your exchange (ie LLU providers) they'll offer better deal. Kiss
Shutty666
Dabbler

Thanks to all 3 of you for posting those links. I am in a cheaper BB area. At least there's that....
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Nice to know that after EIGHTEEN MONTHS,. Plusnet staff still do not know that there is no such thing as Markets 1/2/3
"Ofcom’s recent review of the UK’s Wholesale Broadband Access (WBA) markets (final statement) took account of this and other changes to produce a new definition, which the regulator told us came into effect during late June 2014.
Without getting too technical, under the new definition Market 2 and 3 effectively became known as Market B (accounting for 89.7% of UK premises) and the more expensive and tightly regulated Market 1 became known as Market A" 
source http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/uk-isp-plusnet-tackle-broadband-price-confusion-low-cos...
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Nice to know that after EIGHTEEN MONTHS,. Plusnet staff still do not know that there is no such thing as Markets 1/2/3

I'm not sure where that assertion has come from? I'm more than aware of the market split now being called A/B. However as our systems still refer to 1/2/3 that's how we would generally talk about it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

OP said Plusnet staff talked about market 1/2/3 today 17th December 2015, OFCOM said changed in June 2014 as per ispreview article, hence 18 months.
Sorry Chris but it does read that way to me.
But I'm not really wanting to be in a name calling exercise , my issue is that Plusnet staff need to use the correct market terms to customers so that customers can understand what is being said. What terms are used internally doesn't matter, it is the published terms that do matter.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

FWIW Samknows (supposedly a 'partner' of OFCOM) are still using the 'old' market 1/2/3 classification, e.g. my local exchange is listed as 'Market 3': https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMWESTO
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What it does demonstrate is that Plusnet are absolutely dire at getting updates to their systems in a timely manner. That the change from Market 1/2/3 to Market A/B was coming was known a lot longer than 18 months ago.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav
Fixes: 515

It can get very confusing;
My exchange, Minster, still shows as Market 1 although TT and Sky have been there at least a couple of years as far as I can remember.
Also, when I re contracted around a year or so ago I was offered a better discount as the COT agent said that his system showed that my exchange was due to be changed to Market 2 (B).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

tonycollinet
Grafter

Is plusnet the only ISP that charges more for market A?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: tonyAtplus
Is plusnet the only ISP that charges more less for market A B ?

Shocked
That said, of recent times they have been paying users to take broadband... 12 months free plus £75 Cashback tied only for 12 months.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.