cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line tester does not warn users that the test is intrusive!

PlusnetLiam
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Phone line tester does not warn users that the test is intrusive!

@bobpullen I've heard whispers of some issues in the past but you're right, nothing massive. 

RE the point @Townman has raised I don't believe it's designed to work in that way & shouldn't impact BB connectivity (or at least no one has ever flagged that...) 

Let me see if someone can dig into it.

Liam

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Running a copper line test or intrusive KBD will often cause the line to drop, I have seen on 20CN lines this doesn't happen and FTTC doesn't drop them either but on 21CN this does kick most times.

The phone troubleshooter we can easily test, just need a 21CN line and a willing person.

*edit*

Running a phone line test for a noisy line does drop the connection based on our sample test of 1 person.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If you need help / a line to test then please use mine if it helps.

I suggest there are a number of angles here...

Is the phone test supposed to be non-intrusive?

If it cannot be assured to be non-intrusive then users need to be warned at the time of starting the test.

If intrusion is unavoidable the test needs to be assured that it can pick up the user dialogue when the BB link is restored - IRRESPECTIVE of the possibility that the IP address might have changed.

Whatever the outcome there ought to be a traceable footprint (ticket?) indicating that a test was attempted.

Sorry if I've opened a can of worms ... again!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PlusnetLiam
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're not sorry in the slightest Kevin Wink

I've raised it & I've also asked my Analytics team to see what data we have on these - to be frank, I think the answer will be very little but we'll see. 

Can't promise an action or update immediately but will keep pushing it through to see what's happening - it's inherited capability so may take a bit of digging.

Cheers!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Liam,

I'm sorry that is me who keeps finding these issues - it might make me seem like a pain - again. It rather appears that I just keep finding issues for you guys rather than solutions. You've got enough to address without the additions I champion!

Cheers, Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ScottStorey
Pro

IIRC it's as Chris said. Sort of sometimes intrusive.

The drop down shouldn't matter. It should be dropping a ticket on the account with the contents of the drop down. From what I remember, the original design was that no matter the outcome of the test it dropped a ticket on the account with either an auto fault reported or NFF and usual faults checks took place.

Bob/Chris/Liam - You know how to get hold of me, I can point you in the direction of one of the Devs who worked on it, save you some running around.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@PlusnetLiam@bobpullen (copy @LouisaMartin)

This seems to be a recurrent issue which is not supporting the business nor users. There are multiple references to the phone fault reporter giving unexpected / unhelpful / incomplete responses to users which leads to a support work load ... when in some cases a fault report has already been raised on BTOR.

For example https://community.plus.net/t5/Phone/One-leg-DIS-fault/m-p/1457718#M24105 - user got indeterminate results, leading to calls upon support, who directed the user back to the phone fault reporter (noting that sometimes the answers are not helpful) ... only to later find that the issue had been reported to BTOR ... and the fixed it!

User confusion, wasting support time for something already in progress (but not clearly reported) is not proficient for any one.

Can this issue please be moved in to the Superuser discussion space?

Thanks.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Townman wrote:
Can this issue please be moved in to the Superuser discussion space?

Bit out of the loop so I'm not familiar with the agreed process for this Huh

Hopefully @PlusnetLiam or @LouisaMartin can help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen - understand that - I tagged you for your technical contribution / knowledge in this space ... in the absence of other (departees) who had knowledge.

Move to the SU space can be taken figuratively as opposed to actually moving the topic ... depending on how Liam / Louisa what to use the forum space.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@Townman
Without the likes of yourself and many others, we might not be aware of such issues. If we want to absolutely keep our products as being the best on the market (which we do), then this kind of feedback is hugely important!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Pettitto - Chris, thank you for your words of encouragement ... just need someone in PN to offer some indication of what's happening please.

Another example of failure reported to the user when the functionality appears to have been successful ... but still fails its purpose of reducing contact with support services - https://community.plus.net/t5/Phone/Reporting-a-phone-fault-is-ridiculously-difficult/m-p/1458724#M2...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Another report of the phone tester (apparently) not supporting the business / delivering the right impression to the user - https://community.plus.net/t5/Phone/No-incoming-and-outgoing-calls/m-p/1466228#M24277

I appreciate the interest shown here by some of the known heavy-weights ... but is anything being progressed please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

And another https://community.plus.net/t5/Phone/All-Numbers-Unobtainable/m-p/1468043/highlight/false#M24308

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

And another - https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Customer-service/m-p/1468179#M78210

Which coupled with long waits on the phone lines is driving a user to consider leaving - more brand damage!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Another report of the phone line tester failing ... giving rise to 4 fault tickets.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Perhaps-this-belongs-in-quot-Feedback-quot/m-p/147801...