Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line fault & open Retch job requirement

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Phone line fault & open Retch job requirement

Minor history: my Phone and ADSL is PN supplied and I had/have a noisy phone line since last Friday when i reported it.  I had the same fault in January when the engineer replaced my master socket and checked the pole outside and went no further with any checks.  Ok its been fine since then too last Friday but still was a fault at the cabinet he missed.
So just had the Open Retch engineer and he was detailed to only check for noise, nothing more.  If I hadn't pushed and explained the history of the fault, which happened in January this year he would have done the noise test with his machine and left, as his machine do not catch any fault or did he hear it via 17070/2.
He was about to leave and as he was leaving he did a 17070/2 test and finally heard the noise.
So seeing as a phone fault is a ADSL fault why was he tasked to only do a noise test and not investigate from the pole and the cabinet.  The fault he found lay at the cabinet to the exchange which his machine is suppose to catch but didn't.
So when sending out a jobs worth Open Retch for a phone fault they need to be tasked to investigate, man made test machines get it wrong a Ear doesn't.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Phone line fault & open Retch job requirement

Hi Gus,
Sorry for the late reply. I appreciate the fault might have affected your ADSL connection but it was logged and handled as a phone fault.
I'm not 100% familiar with all the checks they should be carrying out as part of a fault investigation but I would assume checks like that would be done in circumstances such as yours.
I'm glad to see that your fault has been resolved and it looks IMHO that an SNR reset will help with the reduced speeds you've mentioned on the new ticket you've opened.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

They now have a new piece of kit that tests the quality of the line, it does 5 tests and unless any show as amber they will do nothing further and leave.  My engineer was going rely on it as 100% accurate.  That new kit failed to catch the higher readings from the cabinet to the exchange when it is suppose to.
He was packing up and did a 17070/2 as he was leaving as I had been stating all along while he was there it was intermittent fault.  If not for that final test and if he had left relying on that new kit, it would have meant another call out, with you being charged twice and me possibly once for a supposed wasted call out with no fault.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for raising that concern Gus, I'm going to have a chat with a member of our faults team about that to see if that is a hard and fast rule that Openreach are following for all PSTN faults or if a level of disgression should be applied by engineers.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team