cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom usage, is this post worthwhile?

fishrow
Grafter

Phantom usage, is this post worthwhile?

I sporadically check for new emails and today I saw one from PN about approaching usage limit.
It so happens that late yesterday and after midnight I attempted some software updates but, noticing the d/ld was 1/5th the usual rate, I abandoned them thinking probably some network congestion.
Going back to the email I recollected people being speed restricted so I logged in to my account and looked up my usage.
Only 10 days into the period and it says I have 1Gb left...huh?
I have been experimenting and got a couple of iso files, 1Gb, some drivers and about 7 or 8 software updates around 3-400Mb - during the day -, so ballpark there 4Gb. This being in my head I have done a couple big d/lds after midnight.
Looking at the breakdown for those last 10 days seems about right for the above, but then, I look at Monday 1st and it says I got 4.3Gb What???
It's 6 months from panto season but:
OH NO, I DIDN'T.
I might be able to look at my backup drive and see dates against files but that day as far as I'm concerned involved only 2 or perhaps 3 update runs so if anything, around 1.5Gb maybe 2Gb tops.
The point is I am well aware of the 10Gb monthly limit. By yesterday my mind's ballpark  figure was about 4-5Gb and aside from another 2-300Mb update I intended to do major stuff after midnight.
So this "extra" 4Gb.
How can I prove I didn't get it.
Unless the data retention Act is employed by PN and I ask for my data detail breakdown for that specific day, even under a Freedom of Information order, is this even worthwhile?
8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Phantom usage, is this post worthwhile?

I can provide you a hourly breakdown on a question on your account if that helps?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi fishrow,
One thing to consider is that usage is the measure of total bits transmitted and received - not the USABLE data transmitted and received.
If for some reason there are high levels of errors on your line (download was 1/5th of normal) it is possible that your usage has been "inflated" by the need to perform error recovery.  CRC and HEC error recovery requires the retransmission of the data, such retransmissions count towards your usage.
That said, there is another report around here (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140231.0.html) suspecting incorrect usage reporting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think hourly breakdown would be helpful.
picbits
Rising Star

Also, you you use any Apple products ?
There have been cases where the sync between Apples services and a customers PC has been stuck in a loop and it just accumulated large amounts of downloads.
fishrow
Grafter

Well  for the next 3 weeks this is the time I'll be powering up my modem and when I've finished power it off. Mind you, I've always left it on,  _but_ I only ever logged in when necessary.
So, last post DOM...
  proverbial barge pole wrt A**** products.
Town... 
I understand about the error thing. My mention of the 1/5th speed, that only happened yesterday and is probably PN restriction for those close to their limit.  It's some time since I looked at line stats but I don't think there's a problem there.
If there were errors causing re-transmission, would that increase the time for a known file size? I ask because the times for downloads seemed correct.
Matt...
Are you talking about the breakdown being sent by email?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As I'm sure you know some types of traffic are restricted at certain times of day dependant on the package you are on, and AFAIK, unless you are on one of the very old legacy products - Broadband Premier is the only one to restrict speeds close to the limit.
This doesn't account for extra usage of course.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are on a very old product there is a good chance you could save money by switching to one of the current products AND get unlimited usage.
What account type are you on, how much are you paying and is your exchange market 1, 2 or 3?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Hognose
Hooked

Food for thought
How many people are using your internet.
Kids and YouTube can eat data fast+ gaming ie xbox wii ps3 then (mobile phones with WiFi)
Do you have WiFi and  is it secured.
log in to your router and look at your connected devices. Are all the devises yours.
Just some things to look at