Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom Upload uncapper is back

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Phantom Upload uncapper is back

I had opted out of it happening due to my slow connection, which hovers around 4-4.5mbit and drops to under 4mbit on bad days making on-demand painful.  So lost 0.5mbit from my speed during a good connection period due to the uncapping, hate to think of it when the weather turns bad.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
44 REPLIES 44
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Phantom Upload uncapper is back

As I was constantly reminded some time back - you shouldn't lose any download speed with an uncapped upstream unless you are on a business package with Annex M.  Maybe it just happened at a bad time and a resync at a good time will cure it.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Odd.  My upstream has also been mysteriously uncapped as well....
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Dave has been running a program for uncapping the 21CN base where their lines are above a certain tolerance.  May be you've been sucked into that.  He can check tomorrow.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks kelly, be interesting to know if this is the case, and its not the dlm having a moment
Luzern
Hero

Me too!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
CX
Grafter

I noticed that mine was uncapped yesterday. Currently synced with 660kbps up (no impact on downstream), and it seems stable so far, so I'm sort of regretting not asking to have it uncapped sooner.  Smiley I just assumed that it wouldn't be worth it on my 67dB line.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Anotherone
As I was constantly reminded some time back - you shouldn't lose any download speed with an uncapped upstream unless you are on a business package with Annex M.  Maybe it just happened at a bad time and a resync at a good time will cure it.

Not totally true. On some lines performing at the lower end (probably at a level where the ADSL2+/ADSL2 performance is no better than ADSL1) there have been observed small drops is download throughput (possibly due to an increased error rate on the upload).
That's the reason for (my bold):
Quote from: Kelly
Dave has been running a program for uncapping the 21CN base where their lines are above a certain tolerance.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Razer
Grafter

Wish mine would hurry up and get uncapped.
Quote from: Anotherone
As I was constantly reminded some time back - you shouldn't lose any download speed with an uncapped upstream unless you are on a business package with Annex M.

Why does the Plusnet email tell us we'll lose some down speed after requesting uncapping, then?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

To cover their backs!
Really the email should say 'may' not 'will'.
Razer
Grafter

Definitely says 'will'. I'm also disappointed to see it saying the uncap will be for an upload speed of 1Mbps, when as I understand it, ADSL2+ is supposed to be an upload speed of 1.5Mbps on my line.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

They are required to say the speed achieved by a certain percentage of users which is why they quote the lower figure. If you are really close to the exchange you may see better than that.
Razer
Grafter

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. Yes, I am a touch under 1/4 mile from the exchange, ACF. My line is supposed to be a touch under 3/4 mile (though I'm not sure how accurate that is). I'm not hopeful though as my DL speed is slower than a previous account elsewhere and when on a longer line - though I understand that may have something to do with my line quality.
Kelly
Hero

Gus:  Just confirming, Dave did upgrade you.  Sorry about that!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

If I want the 448 kbps upstream rate cap reinstated on my connection, do I have to go through the long winded procedure of raising a fault ticket, or can I raise a normal ticket for someone's direct attention?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-