Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time Congestion Hits Hardest for Broadband ISP Plusnet

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Peak Time Congestion Hits Hardest for Broadband ISP Plusnet

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/peak-time-congestion-hits-hardest-for-broadband-isp-pl...

A new study into the impact on broadband ISP download speeds of peak (afternoon) vs off-peak (morning/daytime) internet usage at the largest six broadband providers in the United Kingdom has revealed that Plusnet suffers the biggest proportional drop in performance, while oddly TalkTalk got faster.

Speeds.png

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
10 REPLIES 10
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: OFCOM: Plusnet have worst peak time congestion of any ISP

Rubbish!

They are faster than Sky & Talktalk but only had a higher proportional drop in performance leading to your clickbait subject line.

Your Anti-Plusnet agenda is getting tedious now.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

OK - too keep you happy I will change the title from "OFCOM: Plusnet have worst peak time congestion of any ISP".

I'll use the title ISPreview used instead.

Happy now?

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Also from same article 

Broadly speaking the impact tends to be fairly small and it’s arguably going to be less noticeable this year because more ISPs will be upgrading their capacity in order to cope with future / faster technologies, such as G.fast and FTTP/H.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

It's still clickbait and the article overall is pure nonsense.

They try to explain TalkTalk's increase in speed from off-peak to peak as "migration of users to a faster package or an upgrade in overall network capacity"

Really?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Browni I'm not anti-Plusnet, in fact I still think there are a lot of very good people at Plusnet and I would really like to see them return to being the ISP that struck a sensible balance between quality of service, speeds and price that they were before BT took over. It appears now they are run entirely by accountants with an objective set by BT to match the cheapest offers from any ISP usually TalkTalk. I've noticed complaints about speeds recently and now there is an official report from a reputable source that supports my impression that not all is well. Hopefully highlighting reports such as this will stir up Plusnet to take complaints of such issues seriously and do something about it.

When my need for a totally reliable premium ISP reduces, hopefully Plusnet will be back in the frame as a cheaper alternative and I can return. At the moment that is not the case.

Edit: If I were just anti-Plusnet as you seem to assume, would I be posting constructive suggestions such as this? https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Email-Archive-failure/m-p/1533449#M23375

Browni
Aspiring Hero

No point in me replying any more as post #1 is constantly changing and I'm pretty sure the linked to article is as well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Browni Only the subject was changed (directly as a result of your post) - the body was not changed at all.

(BTW: your objection is a bit ripe coming from someone who moans about Plusnet using Lithium for their forums on every single post they make!)

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@jelv wrote:

now there is an official report from a reputable source that supports my impression that not all is well.

I'd say that most of the articles on ISPReview are "clickbait" with deliberately inflammatory headlines. This entire ISPReview article is largely just re-arranging some numbers from ThinkBroadband combined with a graph from some older Ofcom report.

The results can also be impacted by the proportion of people choosing to test their connections at different times of date [sic]

So the apparent differences between peak and off-peak speeds could be due to people with different line speeds running speedtests at different times. If more people with faster lines run speedtests at peak times, then that makes the peak time average higher.

I think the actual TBB numbers were supposed to be measuring congestion by the difference between the 1x and 6x tests, not so much by looking at the difference between peak and off peak speedtests.

daveplus
Pro

I would say that the only really important statistic is the download/upload rate in which the only superior ISP of those listed is better than BT or Plusnet is Virgin, which is hardly surprising.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

it's all a nonsense, in the broadband game the only speeds that matter are the ones we get not the averages.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'