cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 Connection Problems (2 months ongoing problem)

Nutsarino

PS3 Connection Problems (2 months ongoing problem)

have plusnet premium broadband and I cannot connect to my friends in my local area for co-op missions on cod and 1 on 1 matches with fifa 10. My connection to multiplayer games on cod is generally awful. I am always the one with one red bar and the lag makes the game unplayable, weekends and very early weekday mornings generally seem to be a lot better with multiplayer matches but still terrible lag when trying to connect to friends for co-op missions. And when I get home from work at 4pm until i go to bed at about 11pm, online multiplayer is impossible.
I have been trying to sort this out with plusnet since the beginning of the year and still no joy.
I was asked to do a wire shark data capture, this proved a problem because I am using Mac OSX Snow Leopard and the installation read me files asked me to move some files to destination folders that did not appear on my system, this was required to successfully install.
I phoned Sony and they recommend that I open some ports on my router for the playstation network. I phoned plusnet and they assisted me in doing this, although I have been doing some more research and apparently in order to forward ports you need a static IP address applied to the application you are using. Does this mean I need to make my PS3 have a static IP? Do I also need to forward the port numbers for the particular games I am using?
I have a Thomson TG585 v7 supplied by Plusnet.
Interleaving has apparently been disabled from my line, although who knows for sure apart from the BT man.
I was told someone would contact me when using the ps3 to monitor the line, no one called and plusnet then seemed to go off the idea.
Plusnet ran some more tests and came back to me and told me thats something is blocking my line, possible a dodgy micro-filter, extension cable, sky box etc etc. I have then moved my router downstairs straight into the master BT socket behind the plate socket. I also bought a new micro-filter. And so now my ps3 is wireless rather than wired using an ethernet cable. (I'm not taking my 40" LCD off the wall and lugging it downstairs to run the ps3 wired). And good job I didn't as it the same again with the connection lagging all over the place.
Plusnet then asked me to run a test using a specific site (speedtester.bt.com), done and submitted the results, I enquired if they would also like me to run this test on the ps3's browser but not possible because it requires java.
I dont know what do do any more can someone please help?
2 REPLIES 2
thongngo
Grafter

Re: PS3 Connection Problems (2 months ongoing problem)

You got high ping! No if PN cant do it/ improve your ping you might have to move to a better broadband provider. I had the same problem with plusnet, but now everything is good. well goodish 3 bar.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PS3 Connection Problems (2 months ongoing problem)

Hi nutsarino,
The static IP referred to for port forwarding will be on your internal network - you can specify that certain devices are always given the same internal IP address when they connect, and will then be able to forward ports to them. There are a couple of options however:
1) Specify the PS3 as a default DMZ server (I've done this with my Xbox 360 for the same reasons) - this will mean that all ports pointing to the PS3 are open.
2) Enable UPnP - this will open any port requested by the software (i.e. if the outgoing traffic through the router requests information back on a specific port, the router will then open that port automatically). This is less secure however as I believe if it's on it's on for all connected devices - you can't specify that it's enabled for a single device AFAIK.
Hope that helps, please post back if you'd like any more information.