cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN's future

Anon
Pro

PN's future

I detected a change of mood in the fora I frequent, ie that Pn were starting  to fall apart, it matches my experience and wondered what others felt and had noticed
Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
95 REPLIES 95
picbits
Rising Star

Re: PN's future

I've seen a bit of a dip recently as they expanded, took on a lot more custom and struggled somewhat.
It does feel like we're slowly on the way back up though. As long as BT don't screw them over I think they are here to stay.
P.s. should be beginning Wink
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

How can it be the beginning of the end again?
You know the vocal few that post on forums aren't really representative of the customer base?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Not only have they stopped listening to the customers they have now started arguing with them if these fora are anything to go by  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

The big issue at present is a lack of transparency on what are the business drivers...
There is a clear focus on expanding the customer base - the current cash back offers are clearly commercially silly effectively taking next to zero revenue for the duration of the broadband initial contract, after which the user can elect to go elsewhere. To do all of this in the face of other issues (the inability to process cash backs) is commercial stupidity.
Irrespective of the commercial deals to get new customers, PlusNet's suppliers are not capable of fulfilling the end user business contracted for in either a consistently timely or professional manner.  Supplier caused issues are legion around here and there is no visibility on these forums or any where in the "public space" of what Andy Baker is doing (if anything) to fix those issues.  No organisation can prosper whilst their sole (only available) supplier is so abysmally bad.  Sadly whilst there are so many naïve users out there who really think that PlusNet them selves go out and install / repair telephone circuits and broadband equipment and it is directly their fault when things go wrong, PlusNet's reputation is not going to be overly good.
Being honest and transparent about the real issues (as is RevK from A&A) is the only way to ensure that blame is placed where it belongs and those who are in a position to make a difference are clear where improvements are required.
At present even the organisations who champion consumer concerns - Which? - appear to believe that users not getting the "published" (up to ) broadband speed is the fault of the ISPs - if they do not comprehend the problem, what hope is there for improvement?
PN's internal problems will hopefully be addressed by the many internal systems developments... when they eventually arrive!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Townman
ensure that blame is placed where it belongs

So long as that's not at plusnet, right?
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

They had these problems years ago, when I was at F9, a minor hiccup when MetroNet joined the group and then again when they acquired MAAF. The answer then was to bring more pipes online and to "refine" the Ellacoyas. I left the PN empire not long after the MAAF acquisition as I didn't want to go through it all again. I find myself back again some years later and the first couple of months were fine. It does seem to be a little shaky at the moment and the forum seems to be a much better place to get any support than any of the official routes.
I'm sure they will bounce out the other side again, but in what timescale?It is always the same though, denying any issues for a while, then flat out PR trying to make it right again.
Mark
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: ejs
Quote from: Townman
ensure that blame is placed where it belongs

So long as that's not at plusnet, right?

No, wherever actual blame lays.  I do not believe that I have been inconsistent on that matter - if PlusNet are the blame worthy party then they are to blame.  In respect to the link you've posted, PlusNet are clearly somewhere along the way are to "blame" for the leaked email addresses, but that is not what that thread was about.  The OP wanted PN to some how stop the consequences of the error.
I really do not see what point you are trying to make.  You seem to have some snide comment to make around a lot of my posts, seeking to make some less than clear points by referring to other of my old posts.  It is becoming tiresome and does not help anyone, so please stop it - if you cannot make constructive comments please make none.  You used to be a really positive contributor around here, it would be good to see you return to your old self.
Your post has been referred to the mods.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I may be totally wrong here - and I bet no-one from PN will confirm or deny it - but I reckon they've got some new 'whizz-kid' middle management who have decided to make their presence felt by 'improving' what didn't need 'improving'.
Like I said - I could be wrong, but this is reminicent of the times we had new people at that level where I worked for 30 years. Our new 'experts' never seemed to last long after fouling things up, and we eventually got back to an even keel. It was painful whilst they held sway, though.
John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

John,
Looking around Facebook, one will realise that PlusNet does have a rather young middle management team.  Some are really very good and have remained around and are keeping the front line on an even keel; some have gone on to greater things to fix the causes of in-balance and some have simply gone on or even just gone!
So long as the engineers can hold fast to what is right, the organisation has some chance of coming through this.
I have a similar drawer of tee shirts too from my 35+ years working in a large UK based IT provider.
Kevin

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I see the level of bias on these forums has reached a new height then. Obviously these are plusnet's forums so they are always going to be somewhat biased, but it gets a bit ridiculous if it's nothing but constant criticism of "plusnet's suppliers" yet if some other ISP is ever mentioned that uses less of plusnet's suppliers, suddenly plusnet's suppliers are just as good as anyone else.
hillyfields123
Grafter

Plusnet just seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they change too much then it aggravates existing customers (e.g. recent tickets issues) but without changes (like cashback) they fail to grow and cannot compete with other ISPs.
They also don't have BT's (or TalkTalk's, etc..) privileged position of being a large, popular provider who already have millions of customers.
leader
Grafter

Just think what it will be like when all those EE broadband users come aboard  .. Those poor mx960's  :)))
Things changed last May , those of us who been round the block since  97 have seen it all before  with the dark , dark dpi days .......
Zen & aaisp are the clear  alternatives for those who remember the days when plusnet could be mentioned in the same breath.
Surprised jelv and other users  who've also "seen it all before"  are not with aaisp ?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Sorry i have to say but PN have lost their way ,,,,  maybe trying to get more customers they have forgotten their way  Embarrassed
even on this forum now all you get is OK customers your opinions are ESCALATED !! to them up high , but only to be forgotten
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
AndyH
Grafter

Too much potential revenue will be lost if Plusnet are not involved in triple or quad play.
I still suspect eventually that there will be consolidation into one entity for all BT consumer users.