cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overnight broadband

vivsos

Overnight broadband

Hi,
From what I've read it looks as if broadband usage overnight does not count towards your limit (I'm on 10Gb). Is this correct? And is this why I can rarely connect overnight?
Unfortunately, I tend to go over my limit 1 or 2 days before the end of the month so have to pay £5 for 1 or 2 day's usage. I've emailed about this but am still waiting for a reply - from what I've read on here I'll be lucky to get one! My mobile phone keeps trying to download a 50Mb update and I've been trying for a couple of weeks to download it after midnight. Think I'll just have to pay the £5 again this month.
I'm just waiting out my year's contract then going back to TalkTalk. I know they've got a bad rep but I never had any trouble with them, I just thought (erroneously) that PlusNet would be cheaper.
Would be interested to know if anyone else has trouble connecting to wi-fi overnight.
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Overnight broadband

Why don't you upgrade to Unlimited which will work out cheaper than paying the extra usage charge?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

You could do as I did and set the "extra spend" to zero and put up with near zero speed (256k) at the end of the accounting period Roll_eyes It rarely happens for me - just twice in the last year Smiley
I do make full use of the "midnight to 08:00" un-metered service, though, for large downloads Cheesy
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: vivsos
From what I've read it looks as if broadband usage overnight does not count towards your limit (I'm on 10Gb). Is this correct? And is this why I can rarely connect overnight?

Yes, it is correct that usage between midnight and 8am does not count against the monthly allowance. However that *does not* mean that connection problems overnight are to be expected. Such problems should, at worst, be very rare.
Are the overnight connection problems just with wirelessly connecting to the router, or does the router lose synchronisation with the exchange? The former is likely to be related to the local environment, the latter to a connection fault.
If the router does not lose sync, problems with wireless connectivity overnight that do not occur during the day suggest additional electronic interference occurs during the overnight period. Are you aware of any appliances/machines that run overnight but not during the day?
David