cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over My Download Limit and now no FTP????

WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Over My Download Limit and now no FTP????

As I am typing this I am listening to 80s music being piped down the phone being interupted by someone saying periodically "all our agents are bysy at the moment" It's nearly midnight.
Okay, I am a little bit of numpty as I went over my download limit a few days ago. Be warned, not only do you get throttled back to a measly 128K which is next to useless, they also block your ftp ports. Nothing mentioned, that I can see, anywhere. I had opened up two tickets two days ago about this but go NO response. When I joined Plusnet over a year ago I used to get a text response within hours telling me that they have updated my ticket. I have recommended plusnet as a result of their quick service.
So what's happened?
I have just got through to a very dispondent analyst called Kevin, who was polite, but I suspect he's had a night of it. When asked if he thought it may be an idea to let people know that when they go over their download limit ,not only will they get a geriatric connection speed, but if you support anyone else's website then don't expect to be able to update them as ftp is barred, he just said "yes that would be a good idea" in a sort of dismissive  "next call please" kind of way.
Come on PlusNet, what's happened to your service? I don't mind being punished a little for going over my download limit, but tell me what the punishment is BEFORE it happens.
AJ
dick:green Title fixed.
8 REPLIES 8
sea138
Dabbler

Re: Over My Download Limit and now no FTP???? [url=http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=2

Sound like plusnet staff that I have come acustomed to over the past 5 years. Be careful if you piss them off, as I have known them to hang up on me in the past. SO rude.
WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Re: Over My Download Limit and now no FTP???? [url=http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=2

Sea138,
I have to say that all analysts I have managed to get through to have been polite and helpful. It's just this time it took a lot longer than when I last had to phone one over a year ago. The ticket response is a lot, lot slower than it was a year or so ago and my experience is based on something which was actually my fault I guess. But I was a little miffed that they barred ftp and the email that informed me that my speed will be throttled to 128k makes no mention of blocking any ports.
AJ
tihson
Grafter

I have been in here ranting and raving about my own broadband problem, when i spotted yours
? has like mine your bandwidth usage gone up dramatically this month hence going over your limit
Seems odd its not happened before, and you have not mentioned having added a couple of gb for £2.00 to your account to over come it
My usage has more than doubled From 8 Jan Till Now, and for no apparent reason, i am sure its an error on plusnets part
My usage graff shows 40% other usage, which plusnet cannot really explain what it has been used on.
Not sure if above makes sense, but its worth checking the graffs to see if usage actually agrees with what you think you are using
David_W
Rising Star

If you look here it'll tell you that once you reach the limits PlusNet limit your total bandwidth available to 128k download 100k upload, they also block totally binary usenet, peer to peer and external FTP.
WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Re: Over My Download Limit and now no FTP????

dgwebb,
Fair cop, but hunting around for that page at 128K would be a right pain. I just wish it was mentioned in the email which tells you that you have exceeded your limit, but perhaps I missed that as well. I no longer have a copy.
AJ
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WatchBatterycouk,
The email is on a service notice on your account - if you log in to http://contactus.plus.net and view closed tickets you should be able to see it. I can see that Kevin changed your usage from fixed to flex (in order that extra bandwidth is added when you exceed your limit rather than the connection being slowed) so the same issue won't happen again.
WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Matt,
Thanks for that. Can you also confirm that my request to be moved from the 2Gb download limit to the 10Gb download package is going to go ahead on 11/2/2010. I went through the "Change Package" process and have just assumed that this is in hand?
AJ
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Matt's on the phone at the moment, but I've taken a look and can see an account change is scheduled for tomorrow to Plusnet Value.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.