cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach visit property on self install

nadger
Rising Star

Openreach visit property on self install

My self install fibre upgrade from adsl went well yesterday and, not being speed freak, am happy so far with speeds.
I was however surprised when Openreach engineer phoned to say he was on way to property. Could see this being a problem
Could have saved money on latest Openreach filter plate I'd installed as he would have automatically fitted one for free.
Confirmed I'd done everything correctly ( playing it safe with 80 year old  Wink ) did line checks, got signature, used loo and was on his way to next job.
I was surprised at area he had to cover but he was good  Smiley
13 REPLIES 13
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Openreach visit property on self install

@Nadger
You may need to update your signature as it says you are only getting 7Mbps. 
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
nadger
Rising Star

@georgelnx
Thanks for that - I have sigs turned off,
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although engineers shouldn't need to visit the property on self installs, I have heard of engineers finding problems when carrying out the work at the cabinet and giving the customer a call to see if they can resolve it there and then. As opposed to marking the job complete and then having to go in to it as a fault when the customer realises it's not actually working as it should/at all.
Maybe he was just being thorough Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

used loo
or maybe he just needed a 'comfort break' Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nadger
Rising Star

@HarryB
There was a problem at the cabinet as first connection would have given fibre but no phone
Personally I was happy with call but would someone be charged if not in?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If the order came back to us (As opposed to completing and us raising a fault) advising an appointment would now be required due to whatever reason, we certainly wouldn't charge you.
I'd be pretty annoyed if we were charged for a missed appointment that wasn't booked in advance. But if we were, we wouldn't pass the charge on to the customer as it wasn't pre-arranged/agreed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
g4jnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Im pleased i read this, i am upgrading to fibre (fttc) around the 22nd (I think)
When i agreed the initial change I received an email to say they were coming on the 22nd then another in a couple of minutes to say the 25th then a few minutes later to say there had been a problem with the order please ring in which i did, after half an hour waiting I was told that the engineer won't need to come to the property, then an email confirming that.
Im 63 years old so can quickly get confused so all the emails etc didn't help.
I now presume it would be best to be in on the 22nd and the 25th JUST in case?
My username is; [removed]  
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Username removed from a public forum
nadger
Rising Star

I found that using https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html prior to install gave a date
I think if one can be at home it's still best as one can play straight away.
ps: On this forum you're a mere youngster  Wink
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: HarryB
If the order came back to us (As opposed to completing and us raising a fault) advising an appointment would now be required due to whatever reason, we certainly wouldn't charge you.
I'd be pretty annoyed if we were charged for a missed appointment that wasn't booked in advance. But if we were, we wouldn't pass the charge on to the customer as it wasn't pre-arranged/agreed.

I believe that they wouldn't be able to charge us, if there was no tentative appointment offered out in the first place. It's not part of the service agreement etc
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Nadger,
I don't quite follow you - that link goes to the BT Broadband availability checker - how does that relate to installation appointment (or non-appointment) dates please?  Is there something additional reported if self install is viable on the line?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: g4jnw
I now presume it would be best to be in on the 22nd and the 25th JUST in case?
My username is; [mremoved]

Thanks for your time on the phone.
As discussed, it looks like automation has placed your order with an appointment, as opposed to a self install.
You're appointment has been confirmed and as you've said you're happy to wait in for this appointment, I've left it as is to avoid any delays with the upgrade Smiley
dick:green Username removed from a public forum
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
nadger
Rising Star

@Townman
When I used link I gave prior to upgrade it stated in text below that there was an order on line to be completed by 5th Jan.
Switch to fibre was due that day and completed on time.
Maybe it was a coincidence but I took it as indicator that order had been placed.
I no longer see the line I referred to.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: nadger
When I used link I gave prior to upgrade it stated in text below that there was an order on line to be completed by 5th Jan.

Hi John,
That is a very useful piece of intelligence - need to add that to the 'knowledge tool kit' and explore its use with others.
Thanks,
Kevin