cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online backup

morgan2476
Grafter

Online backup

It would be good if plusnet would add an online backup service to add to their variety of existing services.  I certainly wouldn't mind paying extra for this service.
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Online backup

there are plenty of other providers that can probably do it cheaper than pn, have you looked at those?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to my main (non PN) email provider, I have 3 online email accounts.
Fairly regularly, I email these accounts ( to myself ) with my precious data, in chunks of up to 25mb, around 500mb total, just in case.
Folders on my iMac separated and labelled into up to 25mb chunks.
ie   f Financial, h Holidays, i iMac.
Virtually everything apart from family Photo's and Videos, these are just too large for such storage. 200gb+
So should I need to, such as catastrophic fire at home, I can access my date from elsewhere in the future.
Obviously all the usual backups too, Time Machine, other external HDD's, DVD's, USB flash etc in different locations, inc fireproof safe.

I am looking at online storage for 250gb storage, but even at my upload speed, this would take quite a while. approx 70 hours ?

In my ideal world, just one hour upload time.

gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
there are plenty of other providers that can probably do it cheaper than pn, have you looked at those?

However can they do such a deal so that it is excluded from your usage allowance as per some ISPs?
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Surely you could schedule backups overnight with the right software?
gswindale
Grafter

you can, but there's the whole leaving the PC on wasting electricity argument to be had there 🙂
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Mine's on 24/7 anyway - it's not wasted for 8 months of the year since it offsets the heating need.