Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a happy customer

oldbaldeagle
Grafter

Not a happy customer

The router is garbage
The internet connection keeps dropping out.
The customer service is poor; apparently complaints have to be registered online - hard when you have no internet connection.
'We'll do you proud' - still waiting
Still, only another 51 weeks & I can go; I might even go back to TalkTalk!! Angry
17 REPLIES 17
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Not a happy customer

Hi oldbaldeagle,
I'm really sorry for the problems that you're experiencing at the moment. We really want to help get this issue sorted out for you.
Would you be able to raise a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net so that we can fully investigate and resolve the issue for you?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Oldbaldegale,
Welcome to the forums and PlueNet - sorry to hear that you are having problems.
The forums here are supported by PlusNet's Digital Care Team (DCT) who have access to the services and test tools and a bunch of motley users (such as myself) who try to offer self assistance based on our varying experience with PN and indeed commercial IT.
It sounds like you have a number of problems - can you please provide a few more details.
What is wrong with the router - "garbage" is not overly descriptive of a particular issue.  I have used a number of TG582n routers, they are not the most expensive nor super best devices, but generally I have found that they do their job and indeed of recent experience, perform much better than what one would have though as been a 'decent' NetGear router.  so some detail would be helpful please.
Internet connection drops.  Is there noise on your phone line?  If yes, BB is not going to be very stable until that noise is rectified.  can you please do a quite line test - dial 17070 option 2 - if the line is noisy, raise a falus call with your voice service provider - if it is PN carry on...
Is the router in the master socket?  Do you have any extension sockets?  If yes are all phones connected to the line by filters?  Are you able to try the modem in the test socket behind the master socket faceplate?  Can you try a different filter?  If doing any of these improves matters then there is likely to be a fault with your internal wiring, which is your responsibility.
If none of the above improve matters, then raise a line fault issue at http://faults.plus.net
Detailed guidance on the above can be found under the speed / connections issues posts on the router and broadband forum.
If you need more detailed guidance, please just ask.  Hopefully someone from DCT will see this and do some remote inspection.
Edit: Chris beat me to it whilst I was writing lots of words!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

oldbaldeagle
Grafter

Towman
I will try to answer the points you have raised in the order you have raised them
The router; Plusnet and other ISP's provide these 'free' so I do not expect anything other than a bargain basement model.  However, the DLink router I had from TalkTalk, also free, was infinitely superior.  Apparently it may be locked to talktalk as it no longer connects to the internet.  I have a Netgear router I bought myself a few years ago & may try to set up again. 
I don't know what 'noise' on the phone line is.  I presume you mean spurious noise over & above the dial tone, in which case, there is no noise. I do not understand the rest of your comments regarding noise.
I am aware that internal wiring is my responsibility which is why the router is plugged into the main socket, which was replaced by BT a few weeks ago.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to be aware that problems with wiring to other telephone extensions, the extension sockets themselves and anything plugged in to them can cause problems with broadband; these are all your responsibility. That's why you should remove the lower half of the master socket and plug the router in to the test socket inside as this should eliminate all these. If that improves things you need to start investigating yourself - we can give you advice.
If you have extension sockets one thing to check is that when the router is in the test socket all the extension sockets should be dead with no dial tone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

Guys it all worked before changing to Plusnet; the only change is the router!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

But when you changed from TalkTalk to Plusnet your connection in the exchange was rewired to a different board
NedLudd
Grafter

As the OP has already said, nothing else other than the router has changed in his area. Therefore he is not the cause of the problem!
Geoff,
York.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I didn't suggest otherwise
I was pointing out that moving from TalkTalk involved a change at the exchange which he didn't appear to be aware of
Devonian
Grafter

I could say the same... my broadband was working perfectly.
I changed to Fibre, and suddenly I have issues.
Nothing at home has changed, Plusnet hasn't changed.
BUT some of the wires my service comes down have changed.
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

No 'he' doesn't know about telephone exchanges but 'he' does recognise poor customer experience. Calling it quits now.  See ya!
Devonian
Grafter

You're leaving without even trying to fix the problem?
You do realise you will be just taking your issue with you when you migrate?
I'm not sure what bad service you have had, but you have completely ignored the fact that Chris Petit, an excellent member of staff that has helped many customers, including myself, has offered you his help.
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

For clarity Devonian I have followed Chris Pettit's advice. I am merely walking away from this discussion; I am aware that I have entered a 12 month contract.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: oldbaldeagle
No 'he' doesn't know about telephone exchanges but 'he' does recognise poor customer experience. Calling it quits now.  See ya!

Well now is the ideal to learn something new then!
Plenty of advice here available.
It does require you interact positively with us the other subscribers on this forum.
Oh yes  - noise on the line.
When you dial 17070 and chose quiet line test option 2........
The line should be totally silent.  In particular there should be no crackles, pops, hisses,whistles on the line.
If there are, this is evidence of a fault on the line and it will play havoc with your internet connection
do it with a wired phone to the test socket - not a DECT portable
Have you considered the possibility that a fault occurred on the line at the point in time when the line was being switched over to plusnet and quite independent from the switch over?
Devonian
Grafter

+1