cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a great start. im really angry!!!

philliplewisuk

Not a great start. im really angry!!!

Just wanted to give some feedback on your service.
The message system before i joined was great, The person really was helpful and i cant fault that. (I expect that would be the case)
When i joined the emails was all wrong is was for a different service ie the basic package without any discounts etc and 18 month contact etc. a lot of wrong info
It then took me 45 minutes to get someone on the phone and guess what the chat system cant help with account info so you have to phone.
they then told me on the phone my account is fine and it will take 5 days.
I joined Wed 21/10/2009 13:05 so i should have it all working for tommorow right! however the system didnt place my order. it was stuck!
The prob is that im with adsl24 and im now going to be charged for another month! after 4 calls in 5 days no one picked this up??????????Huh
not a great start to be honest!
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: Not a great start. im really angry!!!

Phillip,
Could you possibly PM me a contact telephone number for yourself, so we can have a quick chat about your initial setup?
If the delay is due to what I think it may be, I don't think we've done anything wrong.
philliplewisuk

Please take a look at this.
Welcome to our Live Chat service. A member of our sales team will be with you shortly.
You're now chatting to Kirsty.
Kirsty: Hi, my name is Kirsty. I'm here to help you with your broadband order.
You: do any of your packages allow u more then 1 ip address?
Kirsty: Yes , but  you will only be able to set up one here online once connected  you can set up the rest
Kirsty: Please keep the chat window open while you are ordering, I'll be happy to help if you have any questions or problems.
You: how much do they cost?
You: i need 10 as all my pcs and that use there own ip address etc and appletv ps3 etc
Kirsty: Yes ,you will be able to set up unlimited address
You: so if i wanted to have 20 ip address i pay no extra for it?
Kirsty: No , no extra
You: great!
You: plusnet is bt right?
Kirsty: No it isnt
Kirsty: It is a subsidiary of bt
You: ok
You: is unlimited really unlimited at night?
Kirsty: Yes it is unlimited , we do not have fair usage policy
You: is it the 10.99 package u get unlimited ip address? or both

So today I asked for this and this is what I got

Dear Mr Lewis, I'm afraid such a block of IP addresses would not get authorised for your account

So not only did they mess up and get me a extra month charge with adsl24 now i lose the ip address that I asked for at the signup stage!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

where is the live chat sign up? its not PN is it?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have to ask the basic question - why do all your PC's, PS3, AppleTV,  etc. need individual IP addresses from Plusnet
philliplewisuk

Because thats how i like to set it up and I asked this at the time of signing up and was told i could. I have had it for 4 years with adsl24 and asked plus.net and was told i can
so now it seems im being lied to.
This is how i like my setup and thats how i want it.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: philliplewisuk
Because thats how i like to set it up and I asked this at the time of signing up and was told i could. I have had it for 4 years with adsl24 and asked plus.net and was told i can

Easy tiger -
Jim has good reason to ask - using NAT is a much more sensible way to do things without exposing each item to the internet in turn.
Now, as far as im aware when you sign up you will get one IP then afterwards you can have as many as you want (i remember PN offer at least 16) but you have to justify that...
Just wanting each device to have an IP probably isnt just cause, there must be a reason you want to do it this way, If you dont want to use port forwarding you could always use a DMZ.

I am sure Jameseh will be able to help if nothing else Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It's not entirely up to Plusnet.
RFC 2050  Internet Registry IP Allocation Guidelines  November 1996
3.  ISPs are required to utilize address space in an efficient
      manner.  To this end, ISPs should have documented
      justification available for each assignment.  The regional
      registry may, at any time, ask for this information.  If the
      information is not available, future allocations may be impacted.
      In extreme cases, existing loans may be impacted.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
James
Grafter

Re:Not a great start. im really angry!!!

Hi,
Unfortunately the information that you were given is incorrect, assuming that you were referring to one of our residential broadband products.
Also, for a block of IP Addresses, we ask our customers to fill in a RIPE form, to justify a block of IP Addresses and for your use, it is unlikely that your request would have been aproved.
I'd definitely listen to the advice that you are being offered here - it would be far more sensible to have private IP addresses assigned via NAT.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

an unanswered question, the OP said he signed up via a live chat session with Kirsty, was this on PN or one of those cheapy agencies
paulby
Grafter

It'll have been on PN.  There used to be a "Live Chat" link on the home page IIRC and also a pop-up asking if you wanted to chat with an agent. 
Doesn't seem to be there now though.
Mand
Grafter

Re:Not a great start. im really angry!!!

It's only there if you 'linger' in signup for a while. Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: philliplewisuk
This is how i like my setup and thats how i want it.

Unfortunately, this is a Very Bad Idea (tm)
There is a global 'shortage' of IP addresses, and as has been mentioned before, you need a decent justification to be able to be allocated anything more than a small block.
That being said, the information given was not correct.
The best way to do this is to use NAT translation and a router.  This gives every device access to the internet, but protects them from most outside interference.
Just as a FYI - I was reading an article on 'life expectancy' of an unfirewalled and *fully patched* Windows machine connected directly on the internet.  Apparently, expect your machine to be infected with a botnet/virus within 43 minutes.  I'll see if I can find the link.
B.
Mark
Grafter

Hi philliplewisuk
I'm sorry youseem to have been given somewhat incorrect information by our Live Chat team. We can provide multiple IP's on request and free of charge, however whether us or another ISP you will (or at least should) have to fill in a ripe form to justify more than an 8 block and explain why you could not achieve this via NAT.
In essence we would give you these, provided you can justify them and this is the element our Live Chat agent failed to identify and ultimately failed to set the correct expectation.
To acheive what you have asked for we would refuse the additional IP's and expect you to use NAT, RIPE's rules and not ours but perfectly sensible nonetheless.
As Barry has mentioned, IP addresses must be allocated sensibly they are finite.