cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No extension cable provided

rodlong

No extension cable provided

The Openreach engineer came yesterday and installed my fibre broadband upgrade. He eventually announced it was finished, but the modem/ router had been installed in the hall by my front door, and I said I didn't want them there and I had ordered a data extension with my order so the modem/router could be installed in the front room where all my wired ethernet cables for printer, computer and ip camera terminated. He denied that a data extension had been ordered and there was nothing he could about it. I immediately phoned Plusnet Support, and the support agent confirmed that I had ordered the data extension (the Openreach guy now beat a hasty retreat). However the agent then said that it was only a longer ethernet cable that would go between the router and the modem and the modem had to stay by the master socket. I thought that sounded wrong, but replied in that case I'll have to make an ethernet cable myself to at least get the router in the right location to have my network working again until I could sort it out. Then, when I could use my computer again, I checked Plusnet site regarding the location of the modem and router. Quote 'If your master socket isn't in a handy place (e.g. if there are no nearby power points, or it's in a garage or attic), the engineer can fit a data extension cable. This will let you install the fibre modem up to 30 metres away from your master socket. If you're thinking about this, try to pick the new location before the engineer arrives.' It's really been a pain not to get what I had ordered and then to be told wrong information about it. My 'Question' was 85645587.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: No extension cable provided

Was it an actual OpenReach engineer or a sub-contractor?
Sad that not only did you get a engineer that lied to avoid doing extra work but you were also fobbed off with lies from the Plusnet rep!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rodlong

I have to be honest and say I don't know whether it was an Openreach engineer or sub contractor because I didn't ask - I confess that I just assumed! I had also gone to the effort of emptying and moving all the furniture in the room to make it easy for access for the new extension cable.
I want the modem and router together because I'm away quite a lot, and like remote access of slingbox, IP camera etc, and my experience is that my old modem/router would occasionally freeze and a reboot would be required. So when I'm  away I plugged it into a timeswitch that just turned it off and on for 5 minutes in the middle of the night. I suppose I'll have to get a 10 metre RJ11 data cable myself from Ebay and install it when I'm back from my next trip.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No need - if it was clear that you ordered the extension Plusnet will insist on OpenReach coming back to correct the error. You just need to push Plusnet to get it done.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi rodlong,
Thank you for your time on the phone, as discussed an engineer will be attending tomorrow to install your data extension kit.
Please let me know us you have any issues getting this done tomorrow.
ddsabre2011
Grafter

Dear Sir, you have just described exactly the same thing that happened to myself. It does seem strange that customers are ordering extra cabelling but not getting it....Hope all works out for.