cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No BT Modem??

TrevorLikely

No BT Modem??

I have been a customer for less than one day and my first impressions are very poor.  Switching from BT Infinity to PN Fibre.  My (BT) broadband stopped working this morning.  Around the same time I received an SMS telling me that my PN broadband has "successfully completed. I tried setting up by PN router only to find that it needs a BT modem which I don't have.  I had BT hub 5, so no modem.  No-one at PlusNet has attempted to check this at any stage.  I rang PN, entered my phone number and got a recorded message saying "your broadband is not ready yet".  Rang again, did not enter my number and got a recording saying a one-hour wait time to speak to someone.  Rang a few more times over the day to get wait times upwards of 30 mins.  Tried the webchat and that had a long wait time too.  Finally got through to someone just before 9pm, who 'looked in to it' and came back to me just after 9pm telling me I need to speak to 'provisioning' between 9am and 9pm.  Uttely shambolic service, and I am now wondering what the hell I have let myself in for.
I have just managed to configure my BT hub to use as a workaround, (hence I can now leave this post) but really what an appalling way to welcome a new customer.  To quote your own marketing spiel "Some providers offer cheap broadband…but not everyone can offer great customer service too. At Plusnet we take pride in delivering low priced broadband with great service, going that extra mile to look after our customers. It’s broadband that loves you back." These feel like very empty words. What is your response to me?
12 REPLIES 12
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: No BT Modem??

since you have the hh5 if you like it you can continue using it rather than the plusnet router, it should be as simple as login to the router and changing the username /password for the changeover, the reason for the engineer visit would primarily be to give you the BT modem,
there might be a couple of other things that need tweaking but your plusnet account page should have a link (main site) to router setup page which you can check to confirm the details you need to enter.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Really sorry for the problems you've experienced early on with us.
I'm really glad to see you've managed to set the HH5 up to get online, I'll also get you an Openreach modem dispatched so you've got one just in case .
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
janlongworth1

I switched from TalkTalk to PlusNet as my personal information had been hacked in to plus I was getting loads of Spam Emails. My experience so far with PlusNet has been very unsatisfactory.
1. The Engineer never turned up despite having an appointment. Waited in all afternoon without even a phone call.
2. No Router arrived until I telephoned ( Kept waiting 30 minutes for a response listening to some godawful music?).
3. No BT Open Reach hub arrived until I telephoned ( Kept waiting 45 minutes for a response listening to godawful music?)
Appalling customer service. I can only hope that my negative feelings improve soon. I certainly won't be recommending PlusNet

Chris
Legend

Again I'm very sorry to hear of the problems. It's a similar situation to the original post on this thread, as the order was a fibre migration in to us the engineer generally gets cancelled by BTWholesale. We've fixed this for new customers now since last week with a change in process and hardware from our side, but I am sorry that it left you in this position.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A slightly disingenuous reply Chris?  The problem with fibre migrations has been around for months and is largely down to:
a)  Plusnet send out emails stating that an engineer will attend.  There has been no process put in place by PN to stop this erroneous communication
b)  There is no process (PN or BTO seemingly) to provide a modem when a customer is migrating from a provider that uses a combined modem/router
You haven't actually 'fixed' either of these problems, they've merely gone away as you're now using the self-install product.  You had to do this as BT withdraw supply of the BTO modem in January anyway so the 'fix' is more by accident than design!
Chris
Legend

Not disingenious at all, we have made changes to our process and as a result this situation should no longer happen. Yes the changes weren't soley put in place to rectify this, but they do.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I f an issue has been made to go away as a result of a change in process and supplied hardware, most people would be happy to describe it as a fix!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Daynig

We migrated from standard to fibre when we moved 7 weeks ago. The whole process wa s apig's ear BUT we did get a new BT modem automatically when the engineer arrived as promised - so some bits of the process DO work.
Not many though...
TrevorLikely

Chris, thanks for your response to the modem question (though I note you haven't commented on your shocking call wait times - please don't say that is normal). I don't understand why you don't just send me the combined modem/hub I should have received in the first place - It seems a bit odd that you are entirely happy for me to use the BT hub rather than your supplied equipment.  Anyway, it is day two and I have a new problem to add to the list.  My upload speed has dropped from ~10Mbps with BT down to less than 2Mbps.  The BTW performance test results seem to indicate that my upload speed is configured to be capped at 2Mbps.  Surely that is not the case?  If it is, why have done you this??  Please advise asap.

Quote from: Chris
Really sorry for the problems you've experienced early on with us.
I'm really glad to see you've managed to set the HH5 up to get online, I'll also get you an Openreach modem dispatched so you've got one just in case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre is up to 40Mbps down and up to 2Mbps up. If you want faster upload you have to opt for Unlimited Fibre Extra which is 80/20 (they do not sell the 40/10 option). There is one gotcha: if the low estimate for your line is less than 40Mbps they won't sell you Unlimited Fibre Extra so you'd be stuck with 40/2.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: TrevorLikely
My upload speed has dropped from ~10Mbps with BT down to less than 2Mbps.

Were you led to believe different?  I know someone in the same boat, and he's been unable to put his finger on anything in writing that promised a better upload speed, but like you he found it difficult to accept.  They clearly don't draw peoples attention to this limitation clearly enough.  Did they give you an estimated line speed at time of order?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Unlike a lot of ISPs the upload speed for the standard Unlimited Fibre product is very clearly shown - see attached.