cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Nightmare - problem solved by Plusnet

sticksman
Grafter

Newbie Nightmare - problem solved by Plusnet

I have just "transferred" from Tesconet and got my "welcome you are now connected to Plusnet" e-mail this morning.  BUT I AM NOT CONNECTED - no DSL light at all. They have confirmed that the problem is not my end, (after much mucking about). They say that checks will now be carried out over the next 24 to 48 hours to trace the fault.  What a cock-up, I wish I had never bothered.  Until yesterday, and for 5 years, Tesco were reliable and fast up to 2mb - but I wanted faster so I decided to switch.  I chose between O2 and Plusnet on the feedback from reviews - in the end Plusnet seemed to meet my needs the best. But oh how I wished I hadn't bothered. You realise just how much you rely on your broadband connection when it goes missing, particularly at weekends, and now I'm well stuffed.
I find that the Plusnet support lines are far less responsive than their sales lines!! I have raised the issue of paying for a service I am not getting (and have never had) with the accounts people. They put up a right old argument which got very heated, but they finally conceded I was making a fair point.
With hindsight I should have read some of the other posts here before choosing Plusnet - lesson learned - I hope I eventually do get a connection and that the 12 months contract goes better than the switchover.
This e-mail comes via a new dongle that I have bought from Vodaphone as a stop-gap solution - £39!! - but at least it does work, if slowly.
Be warned................
~Sticks~
8 REPLIES 8
scootie
Grafter

Re: Newbie Nightmare

1. there wont be a 12month or 18month contracts from the think 22nd oct thats bein dumped if youve taken a free router accatvation or use a house move in the 12 month period and u decide to leave one or all will have to be settled but not the full 12 months subs i think the new notice period will be 10 days
and am sure a certain well knowen chap will be along to restore your faith in the CS here
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As you were asking about MSR in a previous post that would mean you were with one of the Tesconet LLU offerings.
This means that the change to Plusnet would require BT Openreach to rejumper the exchange. The fact that you don't have an ADSL signal would indicate that they messed it up.
This isn't anything Plusnet have control over and the fixing is also out of their direct control.
I am afraid this means you can only wait impatiently for BT Openreach to get their fingers out.
James
Grafter

Hi Sticksman,
Thanks for your time on the phone just now.
As promised, I've raised your fault and will chase it again before the end of the day.
I'm very sorry that your migration didn't go to plan.
sticksman
Grafter

Jameseh - thanks for the call and the promise of help - that really was impressive and you have restored my faith a little - here's hoping you can restore my connection!
Oldjim- my query re MSR was unrelated to my Tesco account and came from reading the Plusnet notes on the first 10 days after switchover. There is no LLU issue here - I have a BT line.
Like I said to J on the phone - the BT guys from my local exchange are probably busy haymaking just now - this is dairy country! The cider doesn't help them to press the right keys either.
See, my spirits are somewhat lifted now - but please make it work quickly 'cos this dongle widget is sooooo slow.....
Cheers.
~Sticks~
sticksman
Grafter

Jameseh - the BT engineer was on the case as you arranged at 0800 this morning and I am now (at 0930) connected.  The speedchecker says I'm getting nearly 6mb which is better than predicted so I am well chuffed.  The BT engineer said not to re-boot the router over the next 9 days as a re-set could affect the linespeed - any comments?Huh
Thanks for sorting this out with such tenacity, feel free to pull this thread from the forum if you like as my initial comments were very negative about Plusnet when BT was clearly at fault.
Thanks again,
~Sticks~
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If it holds sync I would leave well alone.
It is unlikely to improve and may get worse
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Sticksman.
go to your first posting, click modify at top right, you (and only you or a Mod) can then alter the title,  just add problem solved to what was there  Smiley
forum posting are not deleted here, unless really bad, they are then archived as a copy
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Newbie Nightmare - problem solved by Plusnet

As has been said, we rarely delete posts here.
I'd rather threads like this were kept available, to highlight the support that Plusnet can provide.
B.