cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customers are ignored by plusnet

barrytfoster
Dabbler

New customers are ignored by plusnet

We cancelled our BT connection when we moved into a new build house. Instead we signed with plusnet, believing the hype about awards etc. They immediately took £75 from me, £50 of which was for installation of a new line. They gave me an installation date which was about 3 weeks wait.
Then got a message saying I was on hold because they wanted £50 for installation of a new line! Tried to ring numerous times - queue is always 45 mins +.
Replied to the online message instead; no response. Eventually got through on the phone. Lots of apologies etc. Confirmed I had already paid new connection fee and re-arranged installation. I then got another message saying the install was cancelled. Then a message saying it was going ahead again. Then one saying it was delayed and on hold.
Rang again - 45 minute queue (on my mobile). More apologies. This time blamed BT for not knowing my house had no phone line (even though I ticked the box saying I had no line when I signed up) etc. Said they would sort it out and let me have a date.
Then had NUMEROUS messages saying its delayed, on hold and going ahead. After 3 weeks, I am still completely clueless about what they are doing. They have shown no interest in sorting anything out - just keep sending automated messages saying it's delayed.
I think they must be VERY short staffed and don't care at all about their customers. Not even a courtesy phone call or email to update me.
The last time I rang them, I was advised not to raise new tickets because they place the question on hold, which actually slows down your enquiry - which I took to mean "stop contacting us and go away". I was told a week ago that someone would update me on the 6th October (i.e. today) with a installation date, so have waited until today. Guess what - nobody has contacted me.
Absolutely pathetic.
Come back BT all is forgiven. Plusnet might be slightly cheaper, but not worth the grief. Zero customer care.
Is there anyone at plusnet willing to tell me anything, other than empty apologies?
43 REPLIES 43
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New customers are ignored by plusnet

Hi barrytfoster,
I'll get in touch with BT Openreach this morning to see what the latest update is on this. I'll pop any further information on Ticket: 91925279 on your account.
Sorry for the delay and for the inconvenience caused.
barrytfoster
Dabbler

I did receive a text saying "An engineer will install your phone line on AM, AM. Any problems? Call us on 0345 140 0200, choosing 'Ask about a recent order'."
Unhelpfully though, no DATE was provided! Yet more frustrating inefficiency from plusnet. Why send me a message asking me to be available in the "AM" without actually telling me WHICH DAY!?!
I have since had 2 further messages to say installation has been delayed.
Utter incompetence. Can't speak to anyone about it because nobody answering the phones. You don't reply to emails, don't respond to "tickets".
All I'm left with is communicating with yourself on a public forum. At least you've answered - even if it was to offer another apology.
Can someone PLEASE provide me with a date (I.e day, month, year) for installation?!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi barrytfoster,
I'm very sorry about the SMS going out to you, it looks as though this may be missing the date as there hasn't been any date set by the supplier due to the ongoing construction work in order to pull the copper lines to your address. Given the stage that we're at awaiting BT Openreach to update install the base network, this SMS shouldn't have been sent so please accept our apologies.
As for confirming the date that the service can be provided, we're still waiting to find out when this will be completed based on the work that they need to complete before the orders we've placed can progress. As soon as we have this information it will be placed on the support ticket for you.
barrytfoster
Dabbler

Neighbours of mine who are on the same box seem to have had no problem with any hardware. One is with Sky, who turned up and connected him within 1 week of sign up. Do Sky have more influence with OpenReach than plusnet? Seriously, why is it impossible to get an installation date?
I'm beginning to think that the problem is that plusnet can't keep up with the volume of sales.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi barrytfoster,
I'm sorry that we've still not been able to confirm an installation date.
Having looked over the notes on your order Openreach have stated that an engineer attended on 09/10/2014 and found that there are no spare connections in your cab and it's been passed to the line plant planning team who have scheduled engineers to attend tomorrow to assess this.
Once we have any further information we'll update the ticket on your account.
Again, apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There are two things that come to mind when reading all the above. First, not for the first time, one is left with the impression that Openreach are giving priority to other CPs. the last one I read was TalkTalk. Secondly, WHY are Openreach's records in that much disarray that they don't know at the outset that there is insufficient capacity to complete an order?
IF Openreach did know there was insufficient capacity, WHY didn't they communicate that to Plusnet so that the customer could be given an informative response rather than the bland "your order has been delayed"?
IF Openreach did communicate that to Plusnet, then WHY are Plusnet sending out such bland and uninformative messages to customers about their orders?
It strikes me that IF the issues are at Openreach - the impression we get from repeated problems we read about is that they are - then it seems that someone at the top needs to be addressing them. However, as the original order was put on hold because "they wanted £50 for installation of a new line!" which had already been paid, then I suspect that this might be one almighty cock-up by Plusnet Provisioning!
barrytfoster
Dabbler

...and it's still ongoing!
Plusnet seem to have no influence over OpenReach despite being owned by BT. How do Sky customers get a better service!?
Anotherone
Champion

That's a question I would like answering, you could try asking OFCOM!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Ownership confers no favours!
There is no string pulling.
There are no old boy's communication channels - not even apparently at CEO level! See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128873.msg1142873.html#msg1142873
Although they have the same 'badge' they are independent companies... so it helps lower the collective blood pressure if we all recognise that and stop thinking that there should be 'unfair' preferences within the group.  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

louialive
Grafter

Its' the same old story BT Openreach are answerable to nobody. Where else are you going to go unless you are able to get Virgin direct!!
Anotherone
Champion

That's precisely why I keep suggesting people complain to OFCOM when it's obvious that Openretch are the fly in the ointment! And always ask for a reference number.
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Ownership confers no favours!

In fact I would suggest the opposite is true!
Openreach are, effectively, a sub-contractor to all of the ISPs - to which the ISPs have no choice over using.
In reality, the only "clout" that an ISP has over Openreach is to make a formal representation to OFCOM.
Because of their "ownership" can you imagine the respective Directors of either PN or BT Retail sanctioning a fullscale complaint to OFCOM?

@Anotherone
That's precisely why I keep suggesting people complain to OFCOM

Sorry, but individuals don't have anything to complain about!!
Firstly, an individual has NO contract (or contact) with Openreach, therefore on what basis can the individual raise a complaint about non-service?
Secondly, just precisely what firm evidence does PN provide about their "subbie", that is not vague & inconclusive? As we have seen here, many times, the Individual ONLY gets to hear of alleged Openreach problems after multiple chases onto PN - how would the individual demonstrate that it WAS an Openreach problem & not simply PN covering up (I make NO comments on who is actually to blame, just identifying the "anomalies" in the "evidence").
Ultimately, an Individual can ONLY complain about the lack of Service received from their ISP (regardless of whether that may be a consequence of the poor service of the "subbie") which, in turn, would require PN to explain how they have failed to manage their "subbie"!
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: JohnJ
Sorry, but individuals don't have anything to complain about!!

Absolute rubbish.
People have complained to OFCOM before and they have recorded the complaints and they have acted in the past when they have had sufficient complaints (not this issue). However unless sufficient people complain about a particular problem, of course they won't do anything.
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone

Absolute rubbish.

I seem to recall that my post made it quite clear why it is NOT practical/realistic to make a complaint to OFCOM.
Your response does NOT provide any realist rebuttal to the points that I made!
Perhaps the Complaint Letter should be like this:-
Dear Mr OFCOM,
I would like to raise a complaint about Openreach!
I've attempted to obtain Broadband/Phone service via an ISP.
Everything went wrong, although I was NEVER kept fully informed by my ISP about what was happening to the Order.
I had to contact my ISP multiple times (mostly being given NO information and/or misleading information), usually involving very lengthy waits on the phone.
After much effort my ISP told me that it was ALL the fault of Openreach & that there was nothing they could do about it!
I realise that my ISP is whiter-than-white & would not have any reason to not provide me with completely honest information, hence my complaint about Openreach.
Obviously I expect OFCOM to investigate & find in my favour.
Yours,
A very confused User
ps
I did also contact my ISP's Forum & the helpful people there assured me that it was ALWAYS Openreach's fault!

Cheesy  Lips_are_sealed