cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New broadband activation and authentication query

sabayon
Grafter

New broadband activation and authentication query

I ordered a line, broadband and calls package on 23rd. August. The line was fitted on 21st. September and became active on 22nd. September.  My router arrived yesterday. I have set up the router which shows broadband is there but no authentication. I also note that I cannot log in to webmail as there is no authentication there either. I have had no email giving an activation date. Can someone give me an idea of how long I will have to wait?
Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14
et0
Grafter

Re: New broadband activation and authentication query

Log into the member portal and check the "account summary" to see the status of your order, and also look in the help section under "your questions" for specific details of what's going on (it's used as a log of sorts).
What was the date they estimated you'd have broadband?  Don't expect it to be instantaneous, it takes BT a week to do anything even if there's no physical operation needed...
If you haven't had any email from them at all, check your spam folder carefully, that's where mine was.
sabayon
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. I've checked the "account summary" which states that the order is complete. The only thing that is "pending" is the "deferred setup" and I have no idea what that is but it carries a charge of £25 upon cancellation. The last service notice, for 28th September, is that a "router has been created" and, as stated previously, the router arrived yesterday. I was advised, by phone call in answer to a question, that the broadband should be active in 5 to 7 days. I regularly check my spam folder and my original emails from Plusnet were all there so I created a filter and nothing from them should now go into that folder.
What has surprised me is that the broadband appears to be active on the line but there is no authentication and that I cannot login to Plusnet webmail as there is no authentication there either. Perhaps I'm just being impatient. Smiley
et0
Grafter

OK, if the "order has been placed with the supplier" and it's BT, then it does seem to take that long.
The fact that you have DSL on the line means that the other end is plugged into a modem, so that's good, but the actual login isn't set up yet (which can only be a couple of mouse clicks or keyboard strokes, if even that, but they seem to make you wait for it).
sabayon
Grafter

Thank you et0. I shall give it a couple of days and then raise a ticket.
sabayon
Grafter

Broadband up and running OK.  Smiley
Still can't login to webmail.  Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try sending an email to the new account from elsewhere- sometimes it needs that to 'wake up' the mailbox.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sabayon
Grafter

An email sent to my new Plusnet address just bounced back. Either something has gone wrong in the system or my username is taking a long time to propagate.
et0
Grafter

Have you set up a mailbox?  I don't think it's done automatically.  Have a look in my account-> email settings.
sabayon
Grafter

I haven't set up a mail box. As far as I know I automatically have "anything@usename.plus.com" and should only have to set up extra mailboxes if I need them. However, I may well be wrong so will give it a try. Smiley
Edit: Just created one and received a confirmation saying it will take 4 hours before I can us it. I shall try logging into webmail in a few hours time to see if it's OK.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It says 4 four hours, but I find it is usually a matter of minutes. Give it a try.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sabayon
Grafter

I can certainly send email to myself now but have trouble logging into webmail still. I can login and read email (not every time though) but cannot reply as it then comes up with the unknown user/password error. I have also tried sending an email to a different name but with my username.plus.com domain. That was rejected. I think that I need to give it more time to propagate throughout the system.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
sabayon
Grafter

Update:
Although my broadband is running well there is definitely a problem with webmail but this is not the correct forum to post about that. (Edit: I see there is a general problem with webmail at the moment which probably accounts for my problems)
Here is my feedback on the Plusnet service this time (I have been a PN customer twice before):
Everything happened in the time I expected but there is a definite lack of progress information when it gets closer to the going live date and time. It would help if all the  "questions"  and "notifications" were automatically sent to a new customer by default.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sabayon,
Thanks for giving us a frank account of your experience followign signup and some very helpful feedback.
Let us know what problems you are having with webmail at the moment, this would be the best place to raise any feedback about that:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,65.0.html
Please bear in mind if you are looking for support you'd be best contacting our tech support team on 0845 1400 200 or raise a ticket.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sabayon
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. I shall start a thread on the email forum if the problem doesn't resolve. It's not urgent as I use Thunderbird and don't actually use my PN address for email. Actually I hijacked my own thread as all I really wanted was an idea as to how long I would need to wait for activation. Smiley