Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Openreach 5C Master Socket

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

New Openreach 5C Master Socket

I am not sure where this should be posted so please move if appropriate.

I have a friend who has needed to move his master socket. He contacted PN who dutifully arranged for a Kelly technician to do the necessary for the exorbitant sum of £160. Having inspected the job I note that he has fitted one of the new 5C types but despite being fully aware that there is broadband in the house it is fitted with a standard telephone only faceplate rather than the filtered type.

I note that this new design is incompatible with the earlier type as the test socket is now located centrally rather than on one side.

So: Should the technician have fitted a filtered faceplate and if so will PN be in a position to get him to return and do the job properly if the necessary request is made or are filtered faceplates available at reasonable cost for me to fit?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

3 REPLIES 3
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: New Openreach 5C Master Socket

Do telecoms engineers need to be made aware that there is broadband in a property?  Surely there most likely is, or very soon will be.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Fix

I suppose it depends on who has ownership and responsibility for the filtering faceplate. It may have been installed by Openreach as part of a managed-install (perhaps before they did self-install FTTC) or whenever an Openreach person visited to fix a fault. But Openreach's responsibility generally only goes as far as the test socket, and so the filtering faceplate, if originally supplied by Openreach, probably became your responsibility after some length of time.

If it were a new FTTC self-install, you don't get a filtering faceplate provided.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Thanks @ejs that answers it. There wasn't a filtered faceplate originally. When I upgraded to fibre it was an engineer install so one was fitted and I expected the same in this case. I would have thought that seeing how much it cost one would have been fitted but I guess that's life.

Having done a bit more research I assume that what I need is a Mk4 faceplate.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'