cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTP Install

AndyH
Grafter

New FTTP Install

Just thought I would start a thread of my FTTP install.
Firstly had to sign up to PN on any ADSL package to get on the FTTP trial. Seemed fairly simple as this was a new install and not a migration. Unfortunately an ISP (who I have never been a customer of) had a 'tag' on the line, preventing PN from placing the order. After lots of phone calls to PN and the ISP, the tag was eventually removed after my persistence - I counted nearly 50 phone calls in 5 days. The ADSL order was then progressed with a 5 working day connection date. Unfortunately on the connection date, nothing worked. I phoned PN and BT had moved the order back another 5 days. Disappointing that PN failed to communicate this with me.
Finally the ADSL was up and running. The FTTP order was then placed with a 2 week install date. 2 days later, the first BT fibre engineer arrived to do a survey. A nice guy who was very chatty and knowledgeable about BT and FTTP. He explained the install would take two stages - external and internal work. He realised it would be slightly complicated to feed the fibre tubing (which needs to be run before the fibre is blown to my property) given the length of driveway. So he arranged for another engineer to come and determine whether the ductwork has any blockages. The second engineer arrived today and spent an hour of so chiselling where BT ductwork had been concreted over on the inside of my property (everything is run inside). Once done, he fed rods down the ductwork and found a blockage around halfway or 30m. The external contractors are due to come over the next few days to dig up the driveway, unblock the ductwork and feed a rope from both ends of the ductwork so fibre tubing can be pulled though.
This is where I am so far...
So far, getting the ADSL was a bit of a pain. Not the best of communication from PN at times, but been pleased with how my FTTP order has progressed since then! Despite the negative comments on here about some installs, I cannot fault BT on mine so far. They have turned up quickly and seem to be eager to get me set up and running. Even once a problem has been found, they have been straight on the case and pushing to get it fixed asap.
Will update this thread as things progress!
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New FTTP Install

That sounds like it's going really well Smiley Thanks for the update, look forward to the next installment and hope it keeps going this smoothly.
gunsmoke
Grafter

Sounds good.
Which exchange are you?
I and a few firends in the village are still waiting to hear if we can join the FTTP trial
GunSmoke
AndyH
Grafter

Bradwell Abbey
I believe other exchanges in Milton Keynes might possibly get FTTP too - best guide is MKBAG.
Very few ISPs actually offer a FTTP service, and Plus Net has been the most attractive for me based on pricing/download limits etc.
I can't stress how good BT have been with the FTTP install so far. As I am around at home 24/7 at the moment, it's ideal as engineers keep turning up (unannounced!) but they are trying really hard to get me set up and running. Very impressed that they have arranged for an external contractor to dig up a collapsed duct in my drive less than 48 hrs after discovering it! I can kind of understand though with problems like blocked ducts, how this kind of technology is expensive.
AndyH
Grafter

Well I am finally up and running (to an extent)  Smiley
After some problems with BT's contractors not turning up/then turning up and leaving, my FTTP line has finally been installed.
The external work was completed on Friday. Two OpenReach engineers came and fed the fibre tubing from the manhole cover at the top of our drive. The fibre was then blown 250m from a near splitter point and spliced in two locations. The fibre was then terminated in the external fibre termination point and ready for the second part of the installation. Less than 2 hours work in total!
The internal work was completed this morning. The engineer turned up, installed the ONT and power backup and spliced the external fibre with the pre-made internal fibre cable. He has some trouble splicing the cable as their machines don't work too well in the cold (even though mine was done indoors) and after 5 or 6 attempts, the fibre was finally spliced. The installation was complete. Pic attached of the external termination point and ONT Smiley
After powering up the ONT, the connection worked first time. It took me a little while to configure my new Asus N66U router, but I was up and running after that. The only problem appears to be my speed profile - I should be on a 100/15 product, but I am barely downloading beyond my old ADSL speeds. The BT Speed Tester shows a download speed of 5.5mbps and upload speed on 0.95mbps. Technical Support are not too sure how to put me on the correct trial profile (one guy told me I had to wait 10 days for the line speed to settle down so it finds the best synch rate), and my Member Centre says "Estimated line speed:36Mb (This may vary between 34Mb and 38Mb) - Checked on 2012-11-19 12:06:01". Hopefully someone within the trials team can work out what is wrong as it looks like I have some form of a cap at the moment!  Cry
Very impressed with the speed the actual fibre was installed. I read some interesting installation stories when this product was first introduced and it seems to have improved vastly since then. Also a big thanks to Stephen Wilkinson at PN - he's been on the case with BT over the problems and delays with the external contractors getting the ducting unblocked.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I *think* the profile is the 20Mb one.  I've moved it to that now.  You might need to disconnect and reconnect to see the through put.  (Dave would usually look after this bit, but he's on hols today!)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

Thanks for the response - unfortunately that seems to have slowed it down (if anything). Tried to reconnect the router and ONT.

adie:quote
AndyH
Grafter

Up to 80-85mbps now  Smiley
Thanks to Kelly/Stephen Wilkinson. Will play around with it this evening a bit and see if I can get closer to 100mbps  Wink