cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer..

Devonian
Grafter

New Customer..

Hi all, I have just signed up to the top phone/broadband pro tariff, and I am really hoping I can leave the awful service I have been getting from BT since November, where it belongs... my distant nightmares!!
Currently I pay £62 per month to BT for option 3 broadband, anytime phone, and Gold TV.
My line should be giving me around 19meg, but for the past 5 months I have been lucky to get 3meg.
BT really dont care at all about anybody.
I ring the tech line and get the same office in India telling me to give the connection 24 - 48 hrs to stabilise... even though the router has an up time of 29 days, and I have been giving the connection time to stabilise since November 2010!!
I dont understand a word they say to me, they dont listen to anything I say, they ask the same simple, basic questions every time I ring them, then say they cant find a fault!!
Today I have no connection at all, I rang BT and was told to wait 2 to 3 days the call them back!!
That was the final straw, I got my MAC code, and signed up to PlusNet.
I have heard good things about you, and am hoping all my troubles are where they belong, with BT!!!
10 REPLIES 10
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: New Customer..

Welcome to the forum Devonian Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Devonian
Grafter

Many thanks Strat.  Wink
Epyon
Grafter

I originally came from BT to plusnet and wow the difference is speed is great at all times and never any slow downs at peak times.
Devonian
Grafter

That's good to know.
Mind you I don't have any connection at all now, so a speed improvement won't be hard Haha.
BT told me there is a major outage at the exchange, when I asked why my neighbour, who is also with BT, is getting his usual service, BT said he must be mistaken! 
How do Plusnet handle the change over?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Normally it would require the new realm (the part of your broadband username after the @) to be entered into BT Wholesale's systems, might or might not involve changing things at the exchange. Once that is done you should be connected to Plusnet's door (so to speak) and Plusnet activate your connection to let you in.
Does the fault you have prevent synchronisation with the exchange (broadband light red)? That might require Plusnet provisioning team to raise a fault to get you connected, but they will do this. Hopefully, however, all will be well.
David
Devonian
Grafter

SPRAXYT the 'fault' as BT call it, is not a fault at all.
What happened was BT disconnected my broadband mistakenly.  They finally admitted it to me an hour ago.
If I list the amount of fault I have had the past few months I'd be here all night... but the thing is, none of these faults have been 'actual' faults, they have all been down to BT fiddling with settings on the line.
I have a report from 5 different O.R engineers confirming it to... I went 6 weeks with dozens of disconnections every day, every time I rang BT India, they diagnosed a new fault and sent out an engineer.
He would arrive and after a hour or 2 of thorough testing, he would diagnose the isp (bt) to be at fault, due to settings on my line.
I now have a completely new line from my home right to the exchange (its 3/4 a mile up the road) that shows ZERO errors.
It performs perfectly with the SNR set to 3/3 and gives me 18meg sync and no disconnections....  however... BT seem to think the low snr and interleaving being switched off could POSSIBLY cause stability issues, and after I have spent an hour arguing with India to get the snr reduced, BT tech RAISE the snr to 9/9 to make sure I get a stable line... even though I get no disconnections...
Moving on... BT have for the past month placed a cap on my line restricting me to 10meg.
I ring and complain, they say there is no cap, send open reach, who says there IS a cap and requests it is removed.
This has happened 3 times in April.

Yesterday, I was online with the Xbox at 1pm, and I get a disconnected message.
I checked the router, to find the dsl light has gone out completely.
I checked all cables, plugged into the test socket, reset the router etc etc etc and nothing.
So... I had a pint of dutch courage... and with trembling hands I lifted the phone and dialed 150.
Over an hour later, and after being transfered 6 times, and BT blaming everything from a faulty router, to a mass outage in the exchange (all rubish) I requested my MAC code.
I then joined PN via the website.
This morning I rang BT again to ask why my broadband was still not working.
And get this.... BT said my broadband had been cancelled because I gave PN a mac code and they have taken over the service!!!
I laughed and asked if BT employed Mystic Meg, because they must have been able to see in the future because they disconnected me 7 hours before I even requested my MAC, and I only requested my MAC AFTER they disconected me!!!
BT hung up!!!
So, theres the story in all its glory... obviously Im bored lol...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jim:post I have removed a batch of off topic posts as this was developing into an acrimonious argument which is not acceptable mod:end
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hmm, an eventful journey for you. Roll_eyes
I think after you used the MAC BT Retail would have been unable to fix the problem because BT Wholesale's systems would reject any problem report from them. So what you were told is sort of correct - if you shuffle the words and time-scales about a bit.
Hopefully Plusnet's provisioning team will be able to get you connected without delays because the line/service is not in the state it should be.
David
Devonian
Grafter

I have been given a broadband change over date of 10/5, and aparantly the phoneline is done a few days later for some reason.
I had a welcome call from PlusNet also, which was unexpected, but a nice touch, well done for that!!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Your first proper bill wil be a full one for broadband, but a partial one for phone, all future bill will be on the same date as a combined bill