cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Account Query

Miles

New Account Query

Hello All
I would very much appreciate your opinion on the following issue ..
Over the weekend we moved into a flat in London
The line has a dial tone but we cannot dial out
Today I signed up for plusnet (Phone and broadband)
Just had a call (to my mobile) with reference to the PSTN number at the flat (which was not known)
Apparently the old number needs to be re-used and there is a cost to changing the number of £38 and a delay
14-21 days to move the number to Plusnet
Further 3-5 days to change to a new number at a cost of £38
Surely a new contract in an old address should be given a fresh number ?
(Why would anyone want to receive calls for the old occupant)
A cost of £38 and 17 to 26 days seems very excessive for this keyboard change ?
Unbelievable as BT Wholesale (old PSTN vendor) and Plusnet are part of the BT Group
Thank you very much for your time and opinions on this matter
Miles
6 REPLIES 6
gswindale
Grafter

Re: New Account Query

Does seem a little excessive - when we moved into our property; I contacted BT as it was a house move - gave them the address.  They asked "Do you want a new number or to keep your existing one or to keep the one at the property".  Due to the number of cold-callers we were getting and the fact that we wanted nothing to do with the previous owners of the property we opted for a brand new number. This was Free of Charge.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Miles,
When a customer places an order for broadband and phone on an active line with another provider the process is always the same. We place the order for broadband and then the transfer of the phone follows. This means that we can get the broadband up and running asap. As you have requested a renumber of the line it then becomes not quite as straightforward.
The charge of £38 is a standard charge which is only ever given free if a customer has suffered nuisance calls which have been reported to the police.
The only time a property is given a new number is when the old one is kept by the previous customer or due to nuisance calls. Many, many people every day move into a new property and take on the number they are allocated. I think we all receive calls for the old tenant/owner for a while but they don't normally last too long.
Services such as broadband and phone require certain processes and the timescales involved are the same for every customer and unfortunately it takes a lot more than just flicking a switch; if that was the case, then believe me, as a business we would want to get you subscribed as quick as possible.
Jojo Smiley
Miles

Hello geofftswin
Yes I agree just been offered the same by BT...
Thank you

Hello Joanne Pilson
I think you may like to reconsider your interestingly verbose and condescending response
We have just started renting the property, I have no idea the meaning of active line
This is a free of charge service offered by BT wholesale.
Why should the new owner of a property put up with those calls?
This entirely electronic process can be and has been completed in hours ..
How do I cancel the contract ?
Thank you very much for your due consideration in this matter
Miles
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Dear Miles,
I'm sorry if you found my reply to be condescending, there was no intention to be, I can assure you. BT are our suppliers and we are not in a postition to offer free renumbers aside from the reasons I outlined previously. I understand your reasons behind not wanting the previous occupants number but having recently moved into a property and inherited the number also, I have yet to receive any call that was not meant for me and merely tried to allay any concerns you may have had regarding this.
We place orders to our suppliers for phone and broadband services and are unfortunately constrained to the timescales given to us, so regret that we can't process your order quicker for you.
Joanne Pilson
Miles

Hello
Thank you very much for replying to my issue at this late hour
Please address the final matter - How do I cancel the agreement with PlusNet ?
The £38 is simply too much, this is a new contract rather than a transfer between providers.
Miles
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear you are thinking of cancelling your order. To do this you will have to call our customer options team on 0845 140 6002 from Monday-Friday 0900-1730hrs
regards,
Joanne.