Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a situation resolving please

GeneGenie
Grafter

Need a situation resolving please

Hi,
We switched to PlusNet from Sky at the end of March and helpfully PlusNet failed to communicate the migration of broadband to Sky. We were told that they would handle the migration and all we had to do was get the MAC from Sky. However Sky have been charging us for broadband due to them not knowing we'd switched.
Had PlusNet mentioned to us that we would need to contact Sky and cancel broadband with them rather than claiming that they would handle the migration this situation wouldn't of occured. This means we're now out of pocket.
So far our experience with PlusNet has been excellent and so it would be a shame for us to have to leave over this but I don't enjoy being fobbed off and treated like an idiot by customer services. I'd appreciate it greatly if someone could contact me in order to get this situation resolved.
Thanks,
Chris
Edit: I realise this was probably the wrong time to post this so I don't expect a reply until Monday Undecided
12 REPLIES 12
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Need a situation resolving please

Surely your argument is with Sky, not PlusNet?
If you migrated using a MAC code then Sky "should" have been aware, but it's always a good idea to check, confirm and make sure the bills are correct. It's not PN that do the notifying anyway, the MAC code is used to facilitate the transfer of the BT management and resources that Sky and PN both use. Sky would become "aware" because BT would terminate the connection, but that DOES NOT constitute notice under your contract.
Also, there may have been a minimum period or similar to pay off on Sky, check your contract terms and dates. Then point out that they knew you had left and ask Sky for a refund of any overpayment.
At the end of the day YOU had a contract with Sky and YOU should give notice to them as required in it. PN don't know your contract terms with Sky and don't/can't act on your behalf.
GeneGenie
Grafter

The main problem is that Sky claim that they heard nothing about the migration from PlusNet and so the fact that I'm out of pocket is down to communication errors at PlusNet. PlusNet have offered no assistance in the issue even though it is down to them. They have also lied by claiming that I was told to contact Sky to cancel broadband with them, if they could prove they did tell me then I'll accept that it was my fault and won't have to raise the problem with Ofcom.
The reason I didn't cancel with Sky in the first place is because I didn't want to have 2 weeks without Broadband. If PlusNet say they will handle the migration then surely they should of told me I need to cancel with Sky?
I'll have to ring Sky yet again to get it resolved with them, but they maintain it's down to PlusNet.
nadger
Rising Star

It's not normal for ones new ISP to notify the losing ISP that one has migrated.
On various forums I've always advised people to notify the ISP, that they are leaving, that migration has completed and also to stop ones DD so that no further payments can be taken.
Normally one has to give, and pay for, 30 days notice ( not with Plusnet) and that starts when one asks for MAC code.
As you can prove that you've migrated you have to get a refund from Sky but you may be able to use DD guarantee to get your bank to refund payments.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: GeneGenie
The main problem is that Sky claim that they heard nothing about the migration from PlusNet and so the fact that I'm out of pocket is down to communication errors at PlusNet. PlusNet have offered no assistance in the issue even though it is down to them. .

No it's not, it's down to you, as explained above.
mikko
Grafter

It didn't help that PlusNet's CS went and told GeneGenie that PN would handle the migration. This was false and misleading and no such assurance should have been given.
HPsauce
Pro

It depends on exactly what was said - are these calls taped so it can be checked?
And "handling the migration" (if that's what was said) could mean many things. Personally I wouldn't assume that included contractual issues as PN have no powers to do so nor do they have the information.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think that they are all on tickets
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

As I found out (almost to my cost!!) BT Wholesale are the ones who are responsible for informing the "losing" ISP that the MAC has been used and that the migration has completed successfully, NOT the "winning" ISP.
Thats why many forum replies stress the need to personally phone the old ISP once connected to the new, as BTW are a totally unreliable shambles!!!
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: brewerdave
BT Wholesale are the ones who are responsible ....
NOT the "winning" ISP.

Indeed, which is why our OP is banging on the wrong door and blaming the wrong party.
That said, any ISP ought, as a courtesy and good practice, to clearly advise "transferring in" customers that the MAC process is NOT guaranteed to terminate their old contract and that it is the customers responsibility to do so.
reserved
Grafter

From: http://www.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml#faq1 ; (my bold)
8. Should I cancel my current broadband service?
No - you'll need an active broadband account to switch to Plusnet. If you cancel your broadband account with your current provider your move will be delayed.
Once we've emailed you to tell you that your broadband has been switched to us you should check that your old provider has cancelled your service. This should stop any unnecessary payments being made.
HPsauce
Pro

I'd say that was pretty accurate.  Cool
Issuing a MAC is definitely NOT the start of a contract cancellation process.
Some people may wish to also give notice (if appropriate) to the existing provider before the transfer has completed, but this can be risky.
If you want a smooth transfer you will almost certainly ending up paying twice for a period; how long will depend on the contract with the "departing" ISP and also (probably more so) their business practice which may actually be quite generous in reality.
(When I left Tiscali for PN the regular service billing actually stopped on the day of the transfer, though there was also a dispute - the reason for leaving - that rumbled on for ages until I got a refund/compensation)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We have no authority to cancel any previous service from another provider. It's up to the losing ISP to monitor their provisioning system to identify when customers move their service away.
I've had a look through your account and can only find recent references to this query, both of which confirm that you need to contact Sky to close your account down.