cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My web was taken down without warning

PeterKahrel
Dabbler

My web was taken down without warning

Earlier this week I uploaded a file to my web site without noticing how big it was. As it happened, I overstepped my limit. I received an email from PlusNet saying that I had abused the site and that my web site had been archived. If I wanted to reactivate my site I had to submit a form stating that I understand what had happened and that I would never do it again.
I find it unacceptable that my site was taken down without any warning, and I take exception to the suggestion that the file I uploaded was inappropriate in content while it was just its size that was the problem. I submitted the (rather patronising) form, and was told that it would be 24 to 48 hours before the site was up again. What PlusNet should have done is to warn me what the problem was and given me the opportunity to rectify the situation. Now I spend hours explaining to people why they can't access my site. I am very disappointed.
Peter Kahrel
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: My web was taken down without warning

Sorry that this has caused such an inconvenience. I've now restored your site and it's up and running again.
Unfortunately the scripts that control the archiving of sites aren't built in a way that allows for warnings prior to reaching the allowance.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why not build in a space limit on the site so that your capacity is set at the product limit and you aren't able to exceed it
This data is from the portal so why can't a hard limit be built in
PeterKahrel
Dabbler

Thanks for restoring the site, Chris. I do think that PlusNet's methods are rather heavy handed here.
Peter
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'd be inclined to agree with you Peter, the systems that manage these are old and haven't been updated much over the years due to the relatively low usage of the service.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.