cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Horrendous Experience With Plusnet

mjaydm

My Horrendous Experience With Plusnet

After exhausting countless time and energy on calls to Plusnet's 'support' staff to simply be put on hold, rerouted to other staff to tell my grievance all over again, then just blatantly lied to, I thought I'd share my story on here with the hope this can finally be resolved by someone with a bit of sense. 

I had been a Plusnet customer for several years, my original deal had expired and for some time I had not yet got around to renewing my service so was paying over the odds for basic speeds on what I assume was a rolling contract. This was entirely my fault. Eventually I decided I would leave Plusnet as another highly rated ISP was servicing my area which offered great value in comparison. So in September 2017 I called Plusnet to cancel my account but during the process was offered a new price for their Unlimited Fibre Extra package. Now although it did not offer the same speeds as elsewhere it was enough to entice me to stay on due to the convenience of not having to move provider. The new deal would see my service upgrade speeds of  "between 49Mbps and 64Mbps" with a "minimum guaranteed access line speed is 43.4Mbps". After 5 months, many support tickets, several calls, and a ghost engineer, I did not see my speeds ever get above 15mb/s. 

Eventually after yet another call I was able to get Plusnet to admit they mis-sold me the service and were not capable of providing the speeds I had payed for, totalling £149.95 by this point in time. I was promised the contract would be immediately cancelled and I would be refunded the full amount I had payed on this contract within the next day (I also have this promised on a chat transcript attached). This was around 3 months ago, and not only have they not refunded the amount due to me, they have since took a further £149.98 out of my account! 

I called Plusnet on Saturday yet again spending countless time on hold and being switched about staff to eventually go through to a man who was as condescending a character as you could imagine. Even though my situation is clearly black and white with recorded calls and transcripts that prove the promise that was made regarding the refund as well as the obvious nature of the money quite frankly stolen from my account after the contract had already been cancelled the support person refused to even put me through to a supervisor. More than that he even argued the point that because I received a discount on my deal I shouldn't even be annoyed I was getting 15 mb/s instead of 65. After several back and fourths he eventually agreed that I should be refunded the past  £149.98 immediately and his team leader would review my call in which I was promised the refund and call me back later that day. Once again nothing, no refund at all not even the undisputed amount taken after I cancelled, and no call back.

So here I am once again left having to call in, be put through to someone who knows nothing about what's been going on, say every part of this all over again, to be told the exact same promises, and have nothing come of it. 

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: My Horrendous Experience With Plusnet

Moderators Note.
Moved from fibre to feedback
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @mjaydm

Thanks so much for taking the time to inform us of your experience.

Obviously this isn't what we'd expect in terms of the customer service aspect or the billing aspect of your complaint.

Before I look into this further for you, I can see that you spoke to my colleague [CSA Removed] yesterday at around 1:30pm - did [CSA Removed] address any of the concerns that you've raised regarding this forum post? Obviously I'm happy to help, I just don't want to duplicate what may have already been done and therefore take up more time than you've already invested!

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) CSA name removed as per Forum rules

mjaydm

Hi @RandallFlagg

Of the £350 taken from my account I was told I would only be refunded around £50. The following was relayed to me:

- £65 was a fine for a missed appointment from an engineer (was in all day and never got a call)

- Because I was still getting speeds of 12 mb/s despite paying for 65 - 75 mb/s I wouldn't be refunded the full amount but instead the difference in services. This was apparently less than £1 a month. Laughable really. Your website is clearly offering this 'basic service' for a difference of at least £10 per month to what I was paying but when highlighting this I was told this is a 'new customer price' only. Once again laughable as the service I was paying for but not receiving was a new customer offer. So the logic that I should be charged for a non new customer offer when the product I was paying for was a new customer offer is baffling and quite frankly dishonest on Plusnet's part.

- Of the £38.98 and £103.98 (£65 to said ghost engineer) taken out of my account after I already cancelled the service I was told again only the difference in service would be refunded resulting in only £17.98 being payed back to me which is even more baffling than the previous ridiculousness. I cancelled the service 3 months ago and I should not have to pay for anything stolen from my account since then. The router was completely unplugged and the line inactive as I had moved to hyperoptic who operate on a different line.

But again, nothing has been done and not a single penny has been refunded to my account.

PS During the call I also requested to be emailed the full breakdown of the refunds and rationale. I never received the email and even went as far as raising another ticket about this through the online chat, I was again ensured this would be emailed to me, but again received nothing.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

This sounds like an absolute nightmare, have you raised an official complaint to PlusNet, you can do this using the link below.

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/?_ga=2.194687727.373164612.1521961842-79...

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @mjaydm

Thanks for the comprehensive update - that's been really useful.

Give me some time to investigate this further and I'll communicate directly with you via your account.

Regards,

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @mjaydm

Thanks for your patience. I've raised a ticket on your account here in response to your complaint.

I will check this when I arrive in the office tomorrow morning and action accordingly.

Best Wishes,

Dave