Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More usage Allowance please

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: More usage Allowance please

So you'd prefer what the other ISPs with allowances do (once you've reached your limit cut you off entirely)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PembsPanther
Grafter

Not all ISP's do that Jelv, I have contract phone with T Mobile and one of the perks on mine is unlimited internet, once the phone is tethered and made into a wifi hotspot it is a good fastish connection achieving anythig upto a 6mb download speed. They do have one of these ridiculous fair use policies though, 5gb a month on contract or 1gb a month on pay as you go but they are quite realistic with it, if you go over your allowance they similar to the way plusnet do it cap your speed but only between 4pm and midnight, outside of these hours you can still achieve upto a 6mb connection. We were using anything upto 200gb a month and never even noticed a slow down, I am not sure how they did it but they aim tostop you streaming and downloading big apps between these time but I would download anything I needed via a download manager and even within those time I would have a fast connection.
T Mobile or everything everywhere as they now seem to be the front runners in the race to get 4g live so it is nice to see they are relaxing regarding download allowances, a super quick 4g connection with a pants 10GB a month download allowance would be more than annoying! Just like a super quick fibre connection with a not so great download allowance, times are a changing ISP's need to change with them...............
xxtrickzxx
Grafter

Smiley Smiley Smiley :)Thanks Plusnet for increasing the usage limit from 120 to 250 gb and for making it cheaper,you've made our data munching house hold happy ; Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
kdoug007
Grafter

emmm..  i  have a  10gb  allowance  and  find  its more than  enough,,
  i have to assume to reach 120gb+  your  pc  is  on most of the day,!
RichardWest
Grafter

I have at least three PCs running 24/7, running torrents, uploading and downloading ISOs etc. I have to be very careful not to go over my 60GB (120 from next billing period). But then, I use my computer for a bit more than just browsing and email  Grin
[richard@EeeBox ~]$ uptime
10:12:09 up 31 days, 17:29,  3 users,  load average: 1.21, 1.38, 1.36
[richard@EeeBox ~]$
xxtrickzxx
Grafter

Quote from: kdoug007
emmm..   i  have a  10gb  allowance   and  find  its more than  enough,,
  i have to assume to reach 120gb+  your  pc  is  on most of the day,!
No but we dont watch live tv,(cant stand adverts)so bbc iplayer,netflix,ps3,streams like falling skies etc,FaceTime to nearly all my family in america,canada(instead of expensive phone calls)and the odd bit of internet browsing Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Depending on what you use the Internet for your usage can soon all add up, especially when you have a house full!
I'm glad you're enjoying the new package xxtrickzxx  Cheesy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

You all have choices, to consume resources or not.  The total consumption has to be paid for, aggregated across all users.  Unlimited use has to be paid for out of the costs of basic packages, thus frugal users pay for excessive user's usage.  If you choose to use more, then be prepared to pay more.  I see no good reason why the aggregate cost of heavy users should be spread across the whole of the customer base.
If YOU use it then YOU must pay for it... Or choose not to use it, if you do not want to pay for it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joncooper
Grafter

townman, no-one said they didn't want to pay for it
I need more than 120Gb, I have 3x kids online and my disabled wife uses the net to keep in touch with the world
We average about 100Gb - 120Gb a month on ordinary copper based broadband (thankfully on legacy 'unlimited')
I have always paid for the highest usage allowed by plus.net and am quite willing to pay for what I/we use
I am VERY pleased to see in this thread, that the allowance is now 250Gb, my CAB is due for FTTP in Dec
and I can see our usage increasing once netflix / lovefilm / etc becomes a viable option
brianweir63

I have been with PN for over 7 yrs and have never had any issues with my BB. A few weeks ago I cancelled my Sky as like xxtrickzxx I don't watch regular TV  now as I find all the online tv streaming plus Netflix is more than adequate. I did however contact PN to up my usage from 10GB to 60GB and then a few days later emailed them to extend it even further to 120GB, which they have done for me at no extra cost. My question is this, given that I don't live in a fibre optic area, and can't see it here in the near future, would I,if the need arises be able to increase my usage even further and if so, how much and for what cost?  Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think 120GB per month is the maximum allowance for non-fibre products at the moment though in some cases a call to the Customer Options Team results in transfer to a legacy unlimited usage product that costs around £6 more per month.
However the point you and others make about additional allowance needs from increased use of online TV streaming services won't be lost on Plusnet. We shall have to wait and see if and how they respond.
David