Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from Sky to Plusnet

hadster
Dabbler

Migration from Sky to Plusnet

Hi
I was wondering if anyone is having the same level of confusion that I'm getting.  I am still able to use the internet using my Sky router even though my plusnet account is 'active'. 
I've not changed the sky netgear modem authentication settings to plusnet authentication setting and I cannot connect to plusnet using my thomson router.
Here is a calendar of events:
28/12/09 - Joined Plusnet and was told line would be migrated on 8/01/09
8/01/09 - It snowed so assumed that line wouldn't be migrated so left it a week
11/01/09 - Confirmation received from sky that my line has migrated.
15/01/09 - Still able to go online with sky router but not thomson router.
26/01/09 - Still able to go online with sky router but not thomson router and BT engineer booked to visit my house and I'm told this will cost £144 + vat if it's a problem with my equipment.
I thought that if I can still connect to the internet using my existing sky set up and not the plusnet gear that perhaps the line hasn't actually migrated at all but my account settings have.
Additionally I would think that there isn't anything wrong with my equipment if i can connect to the internet still. 
I'm just trying to avoid Sky charges for another month when they discover I haven't actually migrated!
13 REPLIES 13
paulby
Grafter

Re: Migration from Sky to Plusnet

Sorry if this is a daft question but you *have* entered your PN credentials into the new router including the bit after the @ for your username (username@plusdsl.net) and password. (IIRC Sky provide routers with your credentials pre-installed and you just need to plug it in - with most other ISPs - PN included - you need to enter the details yourself).  Again, my apologies if you've already done this.
It is possible to have both Sky and PN on the same line for a short time if Sky used BT equipment at the exchange rather than LLU.  
If you were on Sky's LLU service however then it sounds as though BT Openreach haven't moved you back to BT's equipment at the exchange (which the engineer should be able to detect!!!).
hadster
Dabbler

Hi
That sounds feasible, thank you for the advice it would've been nice if someone at PN could explain that possibility to me.  I don't like the way PN make it feel like it's my fault saying that it's £144 + vat if it does turn out to be my fault.  
I've definitely got the login credentials correct though! Smiley
I'm now sitting at home with the main bt socket hanging out the wall as I've plugged into the engineers socket as described in PN documentation and SKY router works fine but still no joy with thomson (double checked username and password!).  I've also unplugged all phone devices from all other sockets.  I know that I don't really need to do this (I'm a software engineer) but when someone tells you that it could cost that much you have to jump through the hoops.  
I just hope when Mr BT comes he can get this sorted.  
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Interestingly we've got this recorded as a 'no sync' fault which indicates that no broadband signal is actually getting down the router.
What lights come on when the Plusnet router is plugged in? In particular the 'broadband' light (second from the right).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hadster
Dabbler

Hi
I don't know why you've got it as a no sync fault, the broadband light is constantly on (green) but the internet light goes green then turns red and then turns off and this cycle repeats.  See excerpt from my 'Question' attached.  The router shows that the problem is an authentication failure, I asked how I check if it's in Sync or not and no one explained.  A BT engineer is supposed to visit tomorrow or go to the exchange but I refuse to pay £144 for this privilege, maybe I should just keep quiet and remained on the SKY service!

Chris
Legend

Thanks, I've been and spoken to the faults team as we need to make sure the fault type is raised correctly as if we tell the engineer that it's a 'no sync' fault, and they visit and find you in sync they can say no fault found.
Our faults team are calling BT to get to the bottom of this as our testing tools are showing that your line is not in sync, so there is definitely a problem somewhere. They'll be in touch when we have some more info.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hadster
Dabbler

Chris I appreciate you and your colleagues efforts, thank you.
Chris
Legend

No problem.
We're thinking it's a jumpering issue at the exchange, all the systems show that the line has been moved to us but I'm guessing that the exchange work wasn't completed correctly.
hadster
Dabbler

Yep, I had a similar issue when I migrated from Orange to Sky a few years ago I had to go to OFCOM to get it resolved. That time I was without BB for 6 weeks at least this time I still have a service, but for how long?.  This is why I am so keen to get this sorted, when I signed up to PN I had a funny feeling that this might occur again.  I don't know what it is with the migration system and BT vs ISPs, BT seem to have the monopoly in non-cable areas and they get to call the shots and let the ISPs deal with the flack.  You have my sympathy and my money!  Sad
Chris
Legend

We have a couple of options on how to resolve this, the faults agent working on it has just been speaking to me about them. He's back on the phone to BT at the moment as they want us to go ahead with the engineers appointment but just modify the notes on the fault to say that you can connect on your Sky login. There is another option, but it may take a few days longer to get the issue resolved that way (or it might be just as fast).
I'll let you know when we have more details.
hadster
Dabbler

Thank you, I've just received a phone call from your technical team who has informed me that the exchange is at fault and a BT engineer should be visiting the exchange within 20 hours rather than my house as originally intended.
Chris
Legend

That's the second option, he will have requested a 'frames task' to get an engineer to check the jumpering. Hopefully they'll fix it first time, if not we'll push the fault back through straight away.
hadster
Dabbler

Hi
Got connected at about 11pm this evening - the phone made a strange ring and I thought it was too late for it to mean anything but someone has done something and I can no longer connect using my sky modem, just my thomson one!
Thanks for your help.
Chris
Legend

Good to hear Smiley
Welcome to Plusnet, slightly later than expected but welcome anyway.