cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating away - heard nothing from plusnet

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migrating away - heard nothing from plusnet

A couple of weeks ago I arranged with an alternative provider to take over my phone and broadband. This is due to take place on Tuesday.
Plusnet knew about this on 7th July, as there's a closed ticket on my account. There's also an open ticket dated 9th July which says 'Your Response
5:20pm, Thursday 9 Jul 2015
A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account. This is due to complete on 21/07/2015.
Our Support Team will respond to your question soon. Please only add further comments when absolutely necessary.'
But I have heard nothing whatsoever from Plusnet - no check to find out whether the transfer is genuine or slamming, and nothing at all about early termination charges...
I thought they were meant to contact me under these circumstances?
17 REPLIES 17
johncov26
Dabbler

Re: Migrating away - heard nothing from plusnet

As you have requested it why should they check? if you were slammed they wouldn't know about it until you told them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

One reason is that as far as I'm aware I am transferring using the new gaining provider led process. Ofcom states ( http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/broadband-switching/switching-broadband-provider/ )

'Onceyou have contacted your new provider to begin the switching process, both your new provider and the provider you're leaving must both send you a notification letter to inform you of the switch.
The letter from the provider you are leaving must include details of:
the services which are affected,
the services which are unaffected, and
any applicable early termination charges that relate to the services you currently take.
The letters from the provider you are leaving and your new provider must also give details of the switch, including a reasonable estimate of the date it will happen.'

Seems like enough reason to me!
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: alanj
I thought they were meant to contact me under these circumstances?
Yes. As per your later quote from Ofcom.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes... Another plusnet failure... No doubt they're 'working on it' and will have their systems sorted 'soon'... At least it makes me feel a bit more sure that moving away was the right decision!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: alanj
At least it makes me feel a bit more sure that moving away was the right decision!

Well, that and the fact that this was their attempt at a retention offer:
Great speaking to you today, Below are the prices we discussed;
Unlimited broadband £5.50 per month for 24months
or
Unlimited broadband £8.99 per month for 12months
or
Unlimited fibre broadband £11.00 per month for 24months.
Kind regards,
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I also initiated a migrate away about the time.  I received a 'Sorry you're leaving email' and can see a closed service notice that contains the text of the email.  This was sent a day before cease ticket.
andy265
Grafter

I started a migration around then too, my connection moves Thursday. I got a "Moving your broadband service - what you need to know" email from PN a few days after placing the order with my new ISP.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well - I finally got my email - and it arrived 2 hours after I had migrated to my new supplier!
Amusingly(?) it tells me that my 'broadband and phone service is scheduled to transfer automatically on 22nd July 2015 and will result in the cancellation of all your Plusnet services' - stiil, only one day out...
More worryingly, although it was sent at 1140 today, 21 July, it tells me that 'If that's not right, or you'd like to speak to someone about your account, call us as soon as possible for free on 0800 073 3057 from a landline or, at UK landline rates on 0330 123 0178 from a mobile, before 4pm on 20th July 2015. The sooner you call the easier it is to change things.'
Do PlusNet provide time machines to assist with this?
Oh, and they also got the amount due as early termination charge wrong - in spite of me having had to raise a complaint to get them to confirm that they would stick by the amount ageed in response to an earlier complaint.
Anyone from PlusNet like to comment?
All4One
Grafter

£5.50 for 24 months, sounds good to me. Even if a new provider was giving cheaper, I almost couldn't give a rats for a few quid a month. I spend a few quid on a bag of sweets Crazy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm very happy for you, All4One - it must be very nice to have so much money that you can afford to spend that much on sweets...
For a variety of reasons, I certainly did not want to be tied into a 24 month contract - and the best offer they could make in return for me entering into another 12 month contract was a measly (in my opinion) £1 discount. Fortunately, I have found an alternative provider which does not tie me in to a contract.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi alanj,
Looks like an  anomaly, so I'm in the process of ensuring that we had the correct records on your account (e.g. phone number, broadband asset etc). I'm a bit more concerned that the termination charges as per the complaint that you have. I've put an internal note to ensure that what was agreed will still stand. Apologies that this wasn't actioned beforehand.
As for the offer; I suppose it's subjective, but I'm sorry it wasn't up to expectations.
Should you have any further problems, let me know. Either way, I honestly wish you all the best with your new provider.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Matty!
All4One
Grafter

I understand situations with longer contracts, and the luxury of non contract options. Smiley
So much money to afford on sweets? Just money, I'd hate to live in a world I can't afford a bag of sweets and enjoy them  Cheesy
Good luck with the new provider  Kiss
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks All4One!
The no-contract thing was what swung it in the end. I may well be out of the country for a large chunk of the coming year. If Plusnet had come up with a better offer for 12 months, I would have risked it and paid the early termination charges if it came to it. As it is, I now have line rental and Adsl broadband for £25 a month. If I'd stayed with Plusnet with no contract, it would have been £9.99 + £16.99 = £26.98 a month. I don't get any inclusive calls with my new provider, but calls to landlines are a maximum of 1p per minute, charged by the second and with no set up charge. All in all, I'm very happy with new deal - plus they answer the phone in seconds!
Now I need to start saving up for a bag of sweets  Cheesy