cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated from Sky to Plusnet today

meens

Migrated from Sky to Plusnet today

Hello people and thanks for taking the time to read this.  Maybe I am being very very silly but can anyone explain why Sky Broadband is still showing as my internet provider?!  Today I have disconnected the Sky wireless router and connected the Plusnet Thomson one, all seems to be fine and obviously I am on the internet (cos I wouldn't be typing this!!).  Just don't want to still be using Sky (and paying for it), so earlier checked my internet usage (I am on the value 10GB a month package) and it showed 8.25GB, though now its saying my allowance is 13.4gb.
Maybe I am being really dumb??  But any advice would be much appreciated!!! Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Migrated from Sky to Plusnet today

Assuming you used a MAC to move inform Sky immediately in writing (I think they have some sort of contact system which doesn't involve phoning) as the BT system may have slipped up and they haven't been informed.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi meens, welcome to the forums.
Can you advise where you are seeing Sky to still be your provider?
You may wish to perform a speedtest on Thinkbroadband, which should automatically detect your provider when you complete the test.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
meens

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply.  I did (eventually!!!) get a MAC from Sky, they have written to me twice, identical letters saying they would cancel my broadband on 9 March, and in the second letter, 11 March!  I have of course given the code to Plusnet.
Phil - Where it says Sky is the provider is when I load Internet Explorer, along the blue bar at the top it will say, for example "www.yahoo.co.uk - Internet Explorer Provided by Sky Broadband"  I just ran the test as you kindly suggested and it came up as my ISP was Plusnet! 
I am a little confused but could it be its just taking a couple of days to sort itself out??!!
Thank you both so much again, this forum is fab!
prichardson
Grafter

Ah, this is good news.
What you are seeing is termed as "branding" and is nothing more than a text string that is added when you run the ISP installation process.
You don't actually need to do a thing as this is a harmless peice of text.
If you do wish to remove this, there are means to do this, though they are not always for the feint of heart. To be perfectly honest, I would advise to leave them.
For referance though, the Microsoft support document on this can be found in the following link.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=176497
meens

Thank you so much Phil - I might have a go at removing it as seeing is a constant reminder of how rubbish Sky were - I was with them nearly 3 years and they were terrible!  I am really pleased so far with Plusnet (though I seem to be eating up my 10GB a month a bit too quickly!!!!)
Really I am very grateful - thank you for all your help.
meens

Just removed it - phew!  Thanks a million!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear it, and welcome to Plusnet and the Community forums. Hope to see you around these parts more often, if there's anything we can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.