cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee? Why not something decent?

anthgood
Grafter

McAfee? Why not something decent?

I am in the process of being signed up for Plusnet Fibre. During the signup it offered me McAfee antivirus. Even though it was offered free I ticked, you can keep it.
Why do you offer such a poor Antivirus? McAfee used to be good back in 2004. But now in 2014 it is probably one of the worst antiviruses to use.
I am not stating this topic to ask you to defend McAfee - I expect you'd get 'its one of the most used antiviruses" as that defence, the reason for that though is everyone bundles it for free and then after a year its a pain to uninstall so customers are forced to continue with it.
My topic is to ask why can't plusnet be unique and offer something better such as Kaspersky, Bitdefender or NOD32 which are regarded as three fantastic antiviruses.
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/news/bitdefender-wins-top-spot-in-av-comparatives-most-rigorous-test-27...
6 REPLIES 6
TORPC
Grafter

Re: McAfee? Why not something decent?

It may be down to who is the most economical contender that PN can either afford, or who is paying PN the most to utilise their software
I am sure PN DCT will enlighten us further
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I agree that McAfee has been one of the worst antivirus (/antimalware) programs for several years.  BT Broadband switched from offering Norton to offering McAfee at just the time when Norton started to make leaps-and-bounds improvements and McAfee was drifting downhill.  Plusnet is just clinging-on to the coat tails of BT Broadband; I doubt very much that McAfee was chosen independently.  It's the same with 'Plusnet Assist'; just 'BT Broadband Desktop Help' under another name.   
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning folks,
The reason we went with McAfee was two fold, we already had a contract in place with them from the BT perspective so as part of the BT group, this gave us the benefit of being able to pick up and implement this solution quickly and effectively. In addition to this we always have to look at the costs involved when offering something free and keeping the price of the services as low as possible to remain attractive and competitive.
Ultimately we could have gone either way with the offerings and picked a really cheap or really expensive solution but these both carry their obvious risks and problems.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

and if it's 'free' on your package your free to use it or not.. there are reasonable free alternatives
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TORPC
Grafter

I am sure that BT / PlusNet
Could negotiate with others
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

personally, I'd rather they stick to being an ISP - they don't even off the Mac version.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'