cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe its not their fault.

wheaten

Maybe its not their fault.

Plusnet support… surely they must get their fair share of users who overlook the obvious before ringing in for help.
I have been an Internet user for many years and although my present connection is okay, its not always the been the case.
I have suffered dropped connections, slow connections and no connections. Of course I rang the help lines and complained, only to be asked to follow a well rehearsed script, do this, do that, remove the master socket, plug router into socket, etc.  End result was no fault with broadband, it must be your phone line, ring your phone company, you may have a line fault.
Another call to phone provider, they started running tests, and guess what, all was okay; it must be your broadband.
I know what to do, ring for that migration code, change provider that will sort it.
How wrong was I, after changing to another provider I had the same dropouts, and same slow connection.
(If you are bored you can hit the back button, I wont be offended)
What can I do now I asked myself, well not a lot, all tests confirm nothing is wrong. I accepted the unreliable connection and that was that.
Wife decided to cut down a lavender bush, what’s this she asked pointing at a cable? Ah a joint box, low level and has been hidden behind that bush for years.
A quick look inside revealed my years of problems, a rusty failing joint on the telephone cable. A quick 5 min repair and hey presto, not one drop out since.
I guess the moral of the story is that faults are not always too technical.
I now own and run a computer shop, and on a daily basis I get calls about Internet and email problems. Most phone calls are polite, but a few start with a real attitude. I ask all the obvious questions before booking a call out. Site visit agreed, on my way, arrive to be greeted by ‘can you take off your shoes, we have just had a new carpet fitted’ (most of you reading this know where this is going) yes confirmed, extension cable impaled on the carpet gripper. Err didn’t they realise that the Internet went off after that nice new carpet was fitted? No.
After another customer had no Internet for six months via a well know grocery store, I recommended Plusnet, change completed and No Internet, poor Plusnet inherited the fault, Plusnet sent a frequent text to me as to the progress, and finally one to say all had been resolved. Well done Plusnet.. and I got a referral discount as well. Am I allowed two morals? 2nd moral. Migrating to another company dose not guarantee the fault will disappear.
I am not suggesting that everyone rushes out to check the lavender bush, lift the carpets or otherwise, but to look at the basics first.
I do accept there are and will be some real technical issues, but as we pay the wages of our suppliers  it is in their interest to resolve problems.
I could go on but the Kronenbourg 1664 is getting the better of me.
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Maybe its not their fault.

Well said, have a read of the two posts I've made in the last hour or so. If you can hear noise on the phone line when making a call it's a phone fault (usually, subject to the usual checks) and when reporting it, you don't mention the broadband otherwise you get the run around as you've discovered.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Really good post wheaten Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks very much wheaten Smiley
We understand the sentiments well, though asking people to test things is not always taken as well as it could be, perhaps.
Cracking post, cheers.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Next time we see a post moaning about being asked to try the test socket etc we should post a link to this topic!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
plscott
Dabbler

a VERY GOOD ARTICLE, AND WORTHY OF MUCH THOUGHT WHEN THINGS GO WRONG.  Debatable whether my connection`ll hold out `till I post this . . . I haven`t got any lavender bushes . . . ., ha ha will Kronenberg help  Huh