cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing phone calls getting out of hand

lemonbeetle

Marketing phone calls getting out of hand

We recently moved and chose Plusnet for new phone line and broad band. We are now getting 4 to 5 calls a day asking for someone who we do not know. We have told callers this and asked them to not call again but of course they do. Getting angry just makes them call more. Sometimes no one answers but I can hear talking in background.
Although we have given this new number to all our family and friends etc.we feel that to keep our sanity we would like a number that has not been used. Plusnet offered to stop calls for a month but now it's as bad as ever. has any one got a solution apart from paying Plusnet to stop the calls.
11 REPLIES 11
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Marketing phone calls getting out of hand

Hi lemonbeetle,
Really sorry to hear you're getting nuisance calls.
Please find a guide here to help: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/nuisance_calls.shtml
Let us know if any of this helps at all.
picbits
Rising Star

The problem is that many phone numbers have "run out" and are now being recycled. If you're really unlucky you'd get one from a local brothel or takeaway Sad
The best form of action I've found is to firstly register with the TPS. Secondly politely tell any marketing callers you're registered with the TPS and not to call again. Lastly subscribe to Caller ID and get a call blocking device or phone (BT and Amazon sell them for <£40)  and you can reject calls which are withheld or international.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

We normally politely ask who is calling and then tell we are with TPS they are breaking the law by cold calling you and you are going to report them. That normally works for us.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Most unwanted calls come from automated systems abroad that work through ranges of numbers and only connect answered calls to a person.
As such there's not a lot you can do other than acquire a clever call-blocking device for your home.
TPS is of limited use and seems to be largely ignored by UK-based callers that you wouldn't want to hear from anyway (in our experience). But register anyway.
I use caller display and only answer apparently genuine calls. Anything international or with no ID I let go to the answering machine and only pick up if it's a genuine caller leaving a genuine worthwhile message.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Quote from: Mayfly
We normally politely ask who is calling and then tell we are with TPS they are breaking the law by cold calling you and you are going to report them. That normally works for us.

TPS really has no teeth when you complain I have found; and often when you raise TPS membership, caller says "Oh we're not
trying to sell you anything, we're just doing a survey"
B******ks.
If I see suspicious numbers on Called Display, I switch on fax to answer calls, to dissuade them Undecided
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

There's a few other things you can try if you haven't already done so -
1 Opt out of the 'open' electoral register; you can only do this annually when you get the electoral roll communication from your local council :
https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/privacy-electoral-register.
2 Make sure your number is ex-directory.
3 Get withheld numbers blocked on your phone package.  Unfortunately Plusnet charge for this; I was previously with TalkTalk where it was free and it worked a treat!
Hope some of this helps  Smiley
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/WWP-W5769-Sound-Machine-18486/dp/B002ICWDIK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=140361037...; Having caller display is a good indication as to whether the device is going to be placed on stand by.
Although possibly a bit "childish" it does seem to put off further calls from the same pests. If not, it certainly makes you feel better. Smiley
avatastic
Grafter

Tell them that you're glad they called, you've disposed of the body but there's still an awful lot of blood. That should stop them calling back.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
JohnJ-B
Grafter

@lemonbeetle,
Not really a lot you can do!
Obviously PN could provide you with a new number, but that is a hassle for yourself (updating contacts etc) & there is no guarantee that the new number won't suffer from the same problems!
Certainly registering with "TPS" may help, but if these low-lifes have already got hold of the number, then it will take some time before it is really effective.
Just asking them to stop ringing very rarely works.
My only suggestion would be to make a nuisance back (making it difficult for them)!!
You could try stringing them along by pretending you are a doddery "old-fool" & keep asking them to repeat everything they say or, alternatively, just pretend that the person they have asked for is outside & you will get them - then just leave the phone on the side until they ring off!
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Gel

TPS really has no teeth when you complain I have found; and often when you raise TPS membership, caller says "Oh we're not
trying to sell you anything, we're just doing a survey"
B******ks.
If I see suspicious numbers on Called Display, I switch on fax to answer calls, to dissuade them Undecided

Never had that problem I know they have no teeth, like many of these type of organisations but we do find it's enough to put them off calling us again.
In fact some times they can't get off they line quick enough.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
<snip>
My only suggestion would be to make a nuisance back (making it difficult for them)!!
You could try stringing them along by pretending you are a doddery "old-fool" & keep asking them to repeat everything they say or, alternatively, just pretend that the person they have asked for is outside & you will get them - then just leave the phone on the side until they ring off!

One of my clients keeps a whistle by his phone for these occasions Tongue