cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Market 1 and 2 Telephone Exchanges

baldrick
Grafter

Market 1 and 2 Telephone Exchanges

I live in a Market 1 Telephone Exchange area. As a consequence I have to pay an extra £6 per month line rental. Presumably this is because BT Wholesale  have a monopoly where I live. I understand that market 3 areas pay £6 per month less because there is competition due to LLU and this applies to allegedly 80% of the country. This suggests to me that this is the fair price for this service, which apart from the competition angle is an identical service to that which is provided for me..
Why isn't there a fuss being made about this? Am I the only one feeling ripped off?
19 REPLIES 19
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Market 1 and 2 Telephone Exchanges

because OFCOM has said that BT have to charge high prices to induce LLU operators to offer there service.  And that is all
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
The reason we charge differently in different areas is because we pay different costs in these areas.
This is a result of Ofcom's strategy to maintain the retail broadband market through encouraging competition.
There's a help page explaining this here.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Couldnt you do it on a tiered system so that market 2 while not as discounted and cheap as 3 still get a discount? or is it the same costs for 1 & 2 ?
adie:quote
Mand
Grafter

It's the same cost to us. We only get a discount in Market 3.
Market 2 in realistic terms just means it may become Market 3 if there's a little more investment.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Not quite Mand!  My market 2 exchange just needs another 6000 premises to become a market 3 exchange  Cry
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

Building houses is investment! Wink
I feel for ya, I'm on a market 1 exchange Sad
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

It could be worse!  You could be one of the properties that can't get any broadband at all!  Undecided
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Or even worse - like my friend whose property lies between two exchange areas; BT have quoted him c. £10,000 for a phone line.  Shocked
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Mand
Grafter

Ouch!
I've seen some mad costs for lines outside cost limits, but 10k is pretty steep.
baldrick
Grafter

I can understand the logic of high prices to encourage other suppliers where there are thousands of lines connected to an exchange. I live in a rural village with a total of around 700 lines. How on earth can it be cost effective for several operators to unbundle so few lines?
Ho Hum, so that's it. I'm being ripped off on the orders of them who I thought were supposed to protect my interests!
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: baldrick
Ho Hum, so that's it. I'm being ripped off on the orders of them who I thought were supposed to protect my interests!
Fact of life living in the UK I'm afraid although I understand some things are cheaper in Scotland.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Isn't it the case that Ofcom's ruling means that it's cheaper in Market 3, rather than it being dearer in Markets 1 & 2?
Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Im stuck on a market 1 exchange, and it looks doubtful that that will change any time soon, as it only servers 3,025 residential customers and 225 non residential customers.
arent all LLU exchanges in the tens of thousands of customers bracket?
Apart from that it feels like plusnet are using our higher subscriptions to subsidise their low prices to the lucky ones who are on a market 3 exchange.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Obviously, LLU operators are only interested in the larger exchanges. Therefore, AIUI (I'm happy to be corrected) OFCOM's ruling allows BT Wholesale to cut prices to the IPStream ISPs in Market 3 areas, where competition is strong, allowing BT to retain a share of the market. If they didn't, IPStream ISPs such as Plusnet would be squeezed out of Market 3, and their prices would be even higher in Markets 1 & 2.
Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)