cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major fibre broadband installation fail - plusnet

bluegunk
Grafter

Major fibre broadband installation fail - plusnet

Maybe there's a member of PLUSNET staff on here? The engineer came today to install fibre Broadband. Only BT OpenReach has monumetally cocked up the entire process because someone in Openreach told everyone our house was connected through cabinet, when in fact our line goes through the ground direct to the exchange. So the engineer was stumped. He yelled at the idiot who made the mistake, and has gone off to rebook the job.
And then I get a cheery e-mail to tell me my upgrade is complete.
I need to open a support ticket with Plusnet but I CANNOT FIND an option to do so on the website - only that God-Awful Jess object. The support page doesn't work on my IE11 anyway. And I haven't time to sit on the phone for a day.
I need PLUSNET TO BE AWARE I DO NOT HAVE A SUCCESSFUL UPGRADE.
Please help.
60 REPLIES 60
alext05
Grafter

Re: Major fibre broadband installation fail - plusnet

They should be able to pick it here soon. But while you are waiting, I recommend this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Estragon
Rising Star

The worse news is that if you really are on an EO line you can't have FTTC.
If all the houses in your vicinity were EO then there is a chance a cabinet would be installed just outside the exchange to service them.
What does the BT Wholesale checker say for your number?
hapless
Grafter

Quote from: alext05
They should be able to pick it here soon. But while you are waiting, I recommend this:

I'd have thought this was more appropriate....
https://youtu.be/byEGjLU2egA
Good luck OP, welcome to the wonder of Plusnet
adie:red amended change of Plusnet name]
bluegunk
Grafter

Quote from: alext05

Hah! Too right!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just had a read over the engineer notes and they've confirmed that the line is an Exchange Only, I need to get this over to our provisioning team to chase up what's going on. They'll be in touch in the next 48 hours and you'll be able to see the ticket I create on your account at contactus.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bluegunk
Grafter

Quote from: Estragon
The worse news is that if you really are on an EO line you can't have FTTC.
If all the houses in your vicinity were EO then there is a chance a cabinet would be installed just outside the exchange to service them.
What does the BT Wholesale checker say for your number?

The checker has the line as fibre ready. Sadly, as I have now discovered, this is due to some nincompoop in Openreach who 'thought the line had been mislabled' and therefore flagged it as fibre capable. As the engineer discovered, all lines from the pole go direct (and underground) to the exchange and the nincompoop didn't understand the engineer can't just move a connection on the pole. Fortunately I can see the exchange from my front door and the engineer thinks it is resolvable. Sadly, I'll be paying for a product I don't have and I need PlusNet to be aware of this situation and on top of getting the service sorted.
Chris
Legend

Sadly, I'll be paying for a product I don't have and I need PlusNet to be aware of this situation and on top of getting the service sorted.

Yep, understand this. I want to see what our provisioning team find out and we can go from there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Estragon
Rising Star

Ah, I read it that yours was an exception and neighbouring houses were not EO. This often happens when the first house is built on a new estate and becomes the Show House, before a cabinet is routed or installed to supply the estate.
The engineer won't be able to rebook the job, but there is a chance that at some time in the future a cabinet may be installed near the exchange. How far away is it?
Edit: It isn't a major fail by Plusnet, (ref your thread header), despite the bad things they are currently doing.
bluegunk
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Sadly, I'll be paying for a product I don't have and I need PlusNet to be aware of this situation and on top of getting the service sorted.

Yep, understand this. I want to see what our provisioning team find out and we can go from there.

Grand - you're along thanks!  I can be e-mailed or mobile phoned. My PlusNet user name is ruffnet.
Thank you!
Chris
Legend

Already got your username, I've sent the request over to our provisioning team, specifically the ones that deal directly with our suppliers. They'll review what's happened and be in touch within 48 hours.
bluegunk
Grafter

Quote from: Estragon
Ah, I read it that yours was an exception and neighbouring houses were not EO. This often happens when the first house is built on a new estate and becomes the Show House, before a cabinet is routed or installed to supply the estate.
The engineer won't be able to rebook the job, but there is a chance that at some time in the future a cabinet may be installed near the exchange. How far away is it?
Edit: It isn't a major fail by Plusnet, (ref your thread header), despite the bad things they are currently doing.

Sorry PlusNet - no not PlusNet's fault (I only put the header there in case other provider names were on here). It's Openreach.  However, the engineer thinks he can sort it for us and WILL re-book the job. The exchange is almost close enough to throw a router at. So it's not a big job.
bluegunk
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Already got your username, I've sent the request over to our provisioning team, specifically the ones that deal directly with our suppliers. They'll review what's happened and be in touch within 48 hours.

Thanks a million!
Estragon
Rising Star

He can only rebook it if there now is a new phone cabinet and FTTC cabinet near the exchange that you are connected to, and he was simply sent to the wrong one. Does the BTW checker give a cabinet number, and where is that cabinet? It might be an idea to try all three options of the checker and see if they agree.
They cannot connect FTTC directly from inside the exchange.