cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Speed Record?

damson

Low Speed Record?

Five days after leaving 3.1Mb with AOL (who kept having server breakdowns) I have found download speed drop from 1.2Mb to  0.18Mb.
Upload speed has stayed at 0.35Mb.
I have filled in two plusnet faults reports, changed my filter, checked speeds and checked BT.
So, what are you doing plusnet? 
26 REPLIES 26
James
Grafter

Re: Low Speed Record?

Hi Damson,
One of our CSC guys is currently testing your line, but I've just had a quick look myself.
From the various tests I'm able to run from this end, I can see that your connection had a "blip" and connected to the internet at 160Kbps.  This in turn resulted into BT applying an IP Profile of 135Kbps against your line.  Because you've since reconnected at 2976Kbps, you should be assigned an IP Profile of 2500Kbps if you manage to hold onto that connection for the next day or so.
I know this is a bit of a pain, but unfortunately it's how the BT system was designed to work.
damson

No James.
I have just done a speed test and it is still 0.2Mb.....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you been messing around plugging any other equipment in to any of your phone sockets anywhere in the house? (Different phones, Sky box, fax...) Have you got a filter in every socket that is in use?
Something must have caused the very low sync - you need to make sure it doesn't happen again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You won't see an increase in actual speed test results until BT increase your IP Profile. As James said that can take a couple of days. Sad
James
Grafter

Quote from: damson
No James.

Actually yes.  I'm referring to your "synchronisation speed", which is the speed that your router connects with the exchange.
This need to remain stable for upto 3 days before BT lift the IP Profile which is causing your poor speed.
damson

Jelv - there is nothing else plugged in, and, the filter has been changed without result.
damson

James - when did the 3 days start?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

For God's sake don't mess about changing things now or keep rebooting your router - unless you know there is a problem causing your current sync speed (NOT the result of a speed test) to be low.
As James indicated, what is needed now is for BT to see your line as stable.
Do you know how to get the sync speed, attenuation and noise margin out of your router (this page may help)? Can you post those please.
James
Grafter

Damson - It was on the 27th.
Hopefully it should be amended before the 3 days pass.
damson

Jelv and James.
Yes, I do know how to get the speed of my AOL router.
As I have only been a customer of plusnet for les than a week (and I never had a problem like this with AOL) I think something else is going on.
The speed has never been more than 1.2Mb wheras AOL (when AOL server were working) was always at 3.1Mb.
I think plusnet reduced speed on taking over the service to a level incompatible with being of merchantible quality and fit for the purpose.
I cannot refute what you say about reasons for speed now being further reduced except that I never that kind of problem with AOL (plenty of servers offline however).
Please provide address of OFTEL so I may make a complaint.
James
Grafter

With all due respect, OFTEL will throw out your complaint as soon as you make it.
You have suffered a low sync event, meaning that your router dropped the connection to the internet briefly and reconnected at a slow speed.
I've written about this in detail here: link:speed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think plusnet reduced speed on taking over the service

And I think you're being paranoid, but that doesn't make either of us right.  Cheesy  Crazy
You've been given a 100% correct explanation, if you're not prepared to believe it maybe you should move on to an ISP you can trust?  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The speed has never been more than 1.2Mb wheras AOL (when AOL server were working) was always at 3.1Mb.

Were you on LLU with AOL?
If you posted the router stats (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) as requested we would have a far better some idea of what is going on. Without those figures we haven't anything to go on.
damson

You have never supplied a service even half that of AOL (you have not explained that).
In respect of the further reduction I never had that with AOL (see my post) despite being with them for 18 months.
I would gladly move to another ISP if this were not the 8th day of my contract with you (a day too late).
I repeat my request for the address of OFTEL.