Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental saver

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Line rental saver

Hi
Be a good idea if they had line rental saver to 6 12 or 18 months. Due to different contract lengths and if you wanted to make a one off payment to save bit of money from it or to pay it off.
Excellent!
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Line rental saver

Am I missing something about Plusnet Line Rental Saver ?

Why would ANYONE want it ?

First look at the cost -

Plusnet Line Rental Saver costs the equivalent of £16.49 per month paid as £197.88 lump sum at the start.

It is easy to get Line Rental elsewhere on 30 day contract for £13 (+calls), or £12 (broadband only).

So even taking into account the Plusnet £2.50 penalty for non-Plusnet landline, it is still cheaper elsewhere.

Then there is service -

From watching the posts in this forum, Plusnet are shockingly bad at answering the phone when a customer has a problem, and appear to take much longer than other landline providers to initiate the repair process.

Other landline providers also give the customer the option of different levels of service level agreement, so if your telephone is vital to you, then you can still pay less than Plusnet Line Rental Saver for higher priority repairs elsewhere.

The non-refundable contract -

Even if the price of Plusnet Rental Saver was competitive,  why would anyone trap themselves into a long term contract having paid a large sum of non-refundable money up front,  when nobody knows what their circumstances will be in six or nine months time.  If the customer had a problem that Plusnet couldn't resolve within the contract term, then the customer is either trapped until the end of contract, or would lose the remainder of their pre-paid line rental if they leave.  It also seems impossible to synchronize the contract period of the line rental saver, with the contract period of their broadband, therefore making leaving Plusnet difficult if this needed to be done coinciding with the end of the broadband contract (which may also have a different contract duration).

The cost of calls -

Just compare the cost of Plusnet calls when using Line Rental Saver, with what is available with other line rental providers.  Elsewhere calls cost less than a tenth of what Plusnet charge.

To summarize, Plusnet Line Rental Saver is -

- More expensive than elsewhere.

- Customer support is difficult to reach, and repair times are poor.

- Service level agreement is the lowest possible, with no option for priority repairs.

- Locks customers into long term contracts.

- The upfront cost is non-refundable.

- Call costs are vastly more expensive.

So is there ANYTHING worthwhile about Plusnet Line Rental Saver ?

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

USED to be a very good deal ie 5 years ago I paid the equivalent of £9.49pm ( inc weekend and evening calls ) - HOWEVER £197.88 represents an increase of ~74% ! at a time of low inflation.

I'll probably be moving my line rental/bband in June when the last LRS runs out -as you say its no longer competitive!! UNLESS PN come up with a good deal that is!!

newagetraveller
Pro

I'll probably be looking around in April 2018 too, when my minimum term expires. My LRS is due for renewal at the end of this month but I'm not going to. I'd rather take a hit of a couple of pounds/month on line rental until April then either go elsewhere or synchronise the bband and lr if I can achieve an acceptable "deal" for no more than 12 months.

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

@newagetraveller
Why are you going to leave. What problem are you facing?
Excellent!
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

We are just stating that the headline prices are no longer "market leading" - so without a decent renewal deal, other suppliers are looking attractive

newagetraveller
Pro

"Why are you going to leave. What problem are you facing? "

Other than my speeds halving every Saturday, none. PN don't wish to address that on here and I don't want to waste ages on the phone to them!

However, I could get a better deal by either moving provider or remaining with the same offer as a new customer. Long standing and loyal customers should not be subsidising new customers who probably leave after their initial introductory offer has expired.

Can't blame them really becuse I do the same for insurances, energy etc..