cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental cost

Sestorka
Hooked

Line rental cost

I read a newspaper report that BT would be reducing its line rental charge from next April (2018) for landline-only customers by £7 to £11.99 a month. Quote from article: "Ofcom had been concerned that phone line rental prices had risen recently despite wholesale costs falling. It hopes that other providers will also lower their charges for landline customers."

I had to renew my annual line rental saver, but waited until the last moment to see if Plusnet reduced it charge. It did not.

Will it? When? Will I get a refund?

8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line rental cost

read the report again - only if there is no broadband on the line

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

The important bit in that report is 'land-line only' customers, so if you have broadband - with PN or anyone else, you are not eligible. In my opinion, this is a cop-out by Ofcom, as they know it will only affect a very small number of people. I suppose it is a good thing for those it will mainly affect - the really elderly who don't have new tech, but that number will reduce over time.

John
Sestorka
Hooked

I wondered what it meant - the phrase 'line rental for landline-only' is strange - is 'for landline-only' redundant? Or do they manage to claim line rental for some other type of connection? My broadband and landline phone come via landline only.

The article claimed it would benefit one million BT customers, I assume they have many millions who do not benefit.

What you call 'new tech' is not that new. I have been using internet access privately from my house since 1993 (all via my landline but originally not broadband), and quite a few years longer at work.

Sestorka
Hooked

Broadband was not mentioned in any way in the newspaper report.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Your broadband comes over your telephone line - always has done unless you have a satellite installation.

My reference to 'new technology' is referring to those born even before TV was available.Smiley

John
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Sestorka wrote:

Broadband was not mentioned in any way in the newspaper report.

Why should it be mentioned? This is for people that only have a landlne service.

Sestorka
Hooked

It appears that the change would affect only those who do not have broadband via their landline, but it was a newspaper article informing the general public what was happening. Mention of the relationship to broadband over landlines would have clarified what would be affected.

Sestorka
Hooked

I think the horse it truly flogged to death.