cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed

Asterix187
Grafter

Line Speed

I am HIGHLY upset by my speed currently. I was with Nildram for around 7 years and moved to Plusnet in the past few months. With nildram i never had one problem and gerneally got around 6mb but with Plusnet i am currently running at around 780k and quite frankly I am deeply upset with the provision.
My Thompson router says;
Uptime: 0 days, 0:02:52

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,272

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 40.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 6.5

And nothing looks too bad there. I work from home and the line speed is just appalling for anything! My username is daniellewis is anyone can help!
10 REPLIES 10
Asterix187
Grafter

Re: Line Speed

I am deeply disappointed with the speed of the service i am currently getting. I was with Nildram up until a few months ago and always got at least 5mb but recently after switching to plusnet I am only getting around 1mb.
Nothing has changed on my system, router is the same in the same socket etc etc but the line speed is awful.
I use my internet to work from home but its unworkable at present. Moving to plusnet is quite possible the worse decision I have made with my internet line since signing up for freeserve in the early nineties. If i could go back to Nildram i would like a shot!
itsme
Grafter

You are syncing at 6272kbps so should have a BT Profile of 5500kbps so speed tests should return with 5000kbps.
What checks have you done? Have you checked the BT Profile and PN Current Line speed?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have moved this post to Rants and Raves as it is in the wrong board
I have left this as a separate post for better visibility although you have also raised the problem here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78726.msg638924.html#msg638924
I am HIGHLY upset by my speed currently. I was with Nildram for around 7 years and moved to Plusnet in the past few months. With nildram i never had one problem and gerneally got around 6mb but with Plusnet i am currently running at around 780k and quite frankly I am deeply upset with the provision.
My Thompson router says;

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,272

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 40.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 6.5

And nothing looks too bad there. I work from home and the line speed is just appalling for anything! My username is daniellewis is anyone can help!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do the BT speedtest and see what it says your profile rate is.
Ignore BT as a measure of your data rate - it's rubbish.
Do an "official" speedtest such as the PN one to get a truer measure of your data rate.
Don't switch your router on/off too often.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

also when you took those stats your router hadnt been on long

i.e less than 3 minutes  How long have you been on Plus Net?
Edit just looked at your profile quite a long time
25/05/2009, 16:32
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't like this Sync at 6200kbps so we'll knock of 700kbps for a profile of 5500bps
You have a profile of 5500kbps so we'll knock of another 500kbps for traffic overhead... Angry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Asterix187, everything about your router statistics looks good except for the fact that you have only beem connected for two minutes and 52 seconds.  Okay, the 40 dB of attenuation would imply that there is about 3km of line between you and the telephone exchange but for that attenuation the sync rate is good (slightly better than I achieve in very similar circumstnaces) and the downstream SNR is just as you would expect on a trouble-free line. Now, to be on the sage side, try not to disconnect your router for the next 5 days.
If you want to find out if you are currently "being restricted by BT" run the BT speed test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ and see what the IP profile for your line is.     
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

James
Grafter

Hi,
I'll reply with the same message in the other thread.
Your line is currently being profiled at 5500Kbps, which is correct for your line.
Can you confirm that you have rebooted your router and that we're talking about speeds when connected by a wired connection and not wireless?
There is nothing obviously wrong with your line from what I can see (although appreciate speeds are slow!).
jim:blue edited after topic merge mod:end
Asterix187
Grafter

Hi, Sorry for the delay in reply, i have been working away.
Your correct in that i am 3km from the exchange. The short uptime is  due to me rebooting the router to check is it had an issue of some sort that a reboot could fix before i posted my topic. Prior to that it was not turned off for months as its constantly left on.
The speed has picked up slighty but stil lisnt close to the speeds i was previously getting with nildram although it is workable at the moment.
Thanks for all your comments.