cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like P2P file sharing well avoid plusnet!

phaigherty

Like P2P file sharing well avoid plusnet!

Angry  broadband just got turned on a week later than it shouls have been, going of what some people have had to wait not bad ( hours of shouting and screaming down the phone, and refusing to end the call paid off ) . so hooked laptop up, download what i needed to, download Bit Torrent, selected film, 10kb/s download speed!!!!wtf . googled plusnet and torrent download speed, they cap it to 100 kb/s between 4pm - 12pm!! the time when most normall working people are at home!! they do not like P2P file sharing, if you are a big p2p uploader AVOID Plusnet at all costs. will be ringing bt up tomorrow and see about switching over to them! thats why plusnet is so cheap! operator said you should of read the terms and conditions, what all that fine print thats 100 pages long. hmmm ye, what dont plusnet put it in big letters on your main page. see how many customers you get then! will be posting this on as many forums as i can so people like me are more aware!
7 REPLIES 7
gswindale
Grafter

Re: Like P2P file sharing well avoid plusnet!

Just a few points
1) downloading films is normally illegal in this country
2) which Bit Torrent client are you using - most have scheduling abilities (I downloaded 2.6Gig quite easily over the weekend due to this functionality
3) at the bottom of each page on the main plusnet site is a link entitled "how we manage our network" which gives links to the relevant speeds & limits.  What package are you on; as it is only "value" that is speed limited from 4pm according to the links I've just browsed.  If you're on "extra" then it is only limited from 6pm? (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml

One further point - blaming PN for BT's inability to perform a task doesn't really work & shouting & screaming is not beneficial to either party.  As somebody who deals in a "customer facing" role from time to time; those who scream & shout get the worst service - those who deal calmly with any issues get a better service from me.
I'd be wary of switching over to BT -  you'll  be somewhat more limited with what you can download (10gig/month on BT basic v 10gig/month between 8am&midnight & reasonable between midnight&8am on PN Value).
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The traffic limits are well documented, as is the fact you have line speed between midnight and 8am and it doesn't count towards your usage.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

You probably need a service like this one; 25Mbs, unlimited and uncontended service with low latency: http://www.easynetconnect.net/products/100mb-fibre.aspx ; It should deal with your P2P speed problems though it is a little bit more expensive.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: geofftswin
What package are you on; as it is only "value" that is speed limited from 4pm according to the links I've just browsed.  If you're on "extra" then it is only limited from 6pm? (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml

Also worth mentioning is the fact that you can remove the rate limiting entirely by paying an extra £5pcm for the Pro Add-on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mikeyriot
Grafter

Haha, file sharing films is ILLEGAL! And as stated above theres two work-arounds!
And if you think switching to BT will make a difference you are sorely mistaken! As said above, they dont have a free period and more importantly for you, their network is managed MORE! BT wont even tell you what and to what extent that its managed but believe me, it is. A few friends of mine are with BT and p2p takes a loooong time, a quick google search brings up loads of forum rants to confirm this.
Like MOST ISP's, BT dont want you to know before you buy how bad it is, so they simply state file sharing is managed - nothing more, unlike PN who are open and honest, offer a free period and the option to turn rate limiting off for £5.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Also worth noting the FUP on BT.
Plusnet has no "Fair Usage Policy" - its very easy to rack up many many many gigabytes of transferred data monthly.
see how many customers you get then! will be posting this on as many forums as i can so people like me are more aware!

Most people actually read about the product before clicking purchase...  Cheesy Wink
mikko
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
You probably need a service like this one; 25Mbs, unlimited and uncontended service with low latency: http://www.easynetconnect.net/products/100mb-fibre.aspx ; It should deal with your P2P speed problems though it is a little bit more expensive.

A bit more expensive indeed.  From their website:  From just under £20 a day, £1,500 set up fee