Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less than impressed with Community News about Netflix

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Less than impressed with Community News about Netflix

http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/01/19/netflix-launches-in-the-uk-%E2%80%A6-time-to-get-fibre/
Specially as I am on Value and don't have Fibre available and it is unlikely to be available in the foreseeable future
One this which is useful in the article is
With Netflix, you can pick from three video quality settings – good (0.3 GB/hour), better (0.7 GB/hour) and best (1 GB/hour). Though, if you’re streaming HD content, your data usage could jump up to as much as 2.3 GB/hour. If you stop / start viewing content frequently, your data use could also go a little higher as Netflix streams some data as a buffer each time you start viewing.

EDIT - Title changed to reflect what actually happened  Embarrassed
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Less than impressed to receive a marketing email about Netflix

I can imagine a proliferation of online streaming creating an increased demand for unlimited / unmetered broadband, Fibre is only particularly advantageous here for those able to upgrade from significantly longer/slower than average (sorry Jim) ADSL (except for the increased data allowance).  If you have several net users in the household then these streaming sites could use even the Fibre Extra allowance up rather quickly as Fibre easily has the capacity for several simultaneous streams.  I expect to see average usage increase significantly, hopefully allowances will follow.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Oldjim
Marketing email? It was a blog post on Community not sent as an email, I'm guessing you've set something up to receive new blog posts as emails?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Embarrassed Embarrassed It was from the RSS Feed to Outlook of Community News - goes off to change the title a bit sharpish
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Less than impressed with Community News about Netflix

1 GB/hour is about 2 Mbit/s
The "Are people using it?" section states a total of 60 Mbps - which could be put as "over 30" people are using it. Grin
rodtrotter
Grafter

All this Netflix stuff is just pie in the sky for me even if I had the bandwidth which I don't 60gb a month is just not up it the uk is a third world country when it comes to broadband Infastructure  and pricing
I have a friend in romania who I play on line games with when my broadband can cope which is not that often
And he laughs at me when I tell him the speeds I get and what we pay for it
How can the uk ever hope to be a big player in the world if we cant even sort out the telecommunications industry
Rant over I feel better after that lol
bobboulby
Grafter

More evidence that those of us who don’t have fibre available need some higher usage products.
Bob