Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Le sigh

rowler
Grafter

Le sigh

Advance apologies for the wall of text!
I have been a Plus net customer for less than 2 weeks and I'm starting to regret my choice already.  Don't get me wrong when ever I talk to a customer service representative they are very nice and helpful, it's just they get me nowhere.
My Broadband service was supposed to go active last thursday which is 8 days after my line new was installed.  I even got my txt/email saying it should be up and running.  When I checked my router the DSL light is off.  I try to ring customer services and wait over 30mins and get nothing.  So Friday I go home from work at lunch time and try again, after waiting about 25mins I get to talk to someone who runs through the tests with me and says yes there is a problem, which is definitely the case as when I am on a phone call the DSL light comes on and I can hear noise like the old dial up modems hissing away in my ear as if it is trying to connect.  During the course of the call the light did go green, but this took about 40mins of phone line activity and there was still loads of noise on the line, and when checking my router status it says its connected at 160kbs.....not good.  I told him this connection had never happened before, and I expected it to go off when I hung up, which it did. 
I then got a note on my account of what had been passed on to the supplier, and when i read it says that I have a connection but its noisy.  This is not true, I have no connection it went green for 5mins once in the last 5 days.  At all other times it's dead...100% dead.  It also said it would take 42-72 hours for an update or resolution.  Its over 72 hours now and I have heard nothing at all?!  I am reluctant to ring up again and sit on the phone for over 30mins at my own cost to be told what I already know and not progress any further with this problem.
I am a doctor who uses my internet connection for work and contacting the clinics/hospitals I work in.  I have had to resort to buying a 3g dongle to be able to do this.  I'm annoyed with myself for not just going with BT again at my new property as then at least I am dealing with the people who go out to fix the lines directly and not having an middle man/woman passing my issues along.
Feels good to off load that, and thanks/sorry for reading this!  Any advice would be appreciated, even if it's just to move elsewhere if this is a common issue people have.
28 REPLIES 28
Mand
Grafter

Re: Le sigh

Hi there,
It's obvious there's a fault here, and I can appreciate from your point of view you have no service.
However, our logs show a few very short connections, so we have to raise it as an intermittent fault.
We've pushed the fault back to our supplier with some more information now, we should have a further update soon.
rowler
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
It's obvious there's a fault here, and I can appreciate from your point of view you have no service.
However, our logs show a few very short connections, so we have to raise it as an intermittent fault.
We've pushed the fault back to our supplier with some more information now, we should have a further update soon.

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I'm guessing those short connections are when I am on the phone, as its the only time the DSL light comes on,  but anyway look forward to hearing an update.
rowler
Grafter

Got the generic reply I was expecting...it's not us and we know there is a problem, but nothing anyone can do right now to fix it.
[SIC]"Our supplier has been unable to locate any external source of the problem that you are currently experiencing. However, I can see from your connection logs that the fault is still ongoing. As such, I have informed them of the continued problems and your fault has been passed back to our supplier's diagnostics team for further testing to be completed. As soon as we have any further information, we will be in touch."
How long now?  Another 72 hours?  The only reason I'm leaving it another couple days before I start the migration elsewhere because I expect I will get a similar fault with the next company too, but maybe they will resolve it faster. 
This is even pushing me towards going out and buying a new router, but I know this one was working fine 2 weeks ago so I'm reluctant to spend more money out just for the sake of it.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: rowler
Got the generic reply I was expecting...it's not us and we know there is a problem, but nothing anyone can do right now to fix it.

I think you are misinterpreting the message. Plusnet have passed on the information they will have been given by BT - to keep you informed of progress. The initial checks by BT often find 'no problem', and Plusnet are well aware of this. Quite rightly Plusnet have passed it back to BT for further investigation. I would interpret that as positive progress, though it might not appear that way.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rowler,
I've responded to the ticket, basically we've been asked to book an engineer appointment for you so the fault can be investigated from your premises. If you could reply to the ticket letting us know when you're available (weekdays in the morning from 8 till 1 or afternoons from 1 till 6) we'll get this booked for you as soon as we can.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: rowler
I'm annoyed with myself for not just going with BT again at my new property as then at least I am dealing with the people who go out to fix the lines directly and not having an middle man/woman passing my issues along.

Not true!
If you went with BT you would be buying the service from BT Retail who have to subcontract the service from BT Wholesale exactly the same as Plusnet and all the other BT based ISPs. Even if you went to a LLU ISP who has their own equipment in the exchange it is almost certain that you would still be dependent on the BT Openretch [sic] engineers. If OFCOM detected any sign that BT Wholesale were giving preferential treatment to BT Retail users they would be down on BT like a ton of bricks!
You might also note that Plusnet is owned by BT Retail.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rowler
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi rowler,
I've responded to the ticket, basically we've been asked to book an engineer appointment for you so the fault can be investigated from your premises. If you could reply to the ticket letting us know when you're available (weekdays in the morning from 8 till 1 or afternoons from 1 till 6) we'll get this booked for you as soon as we can.

Thanks and I phoned up at about 1pm today and spoke to a guy who was very helpful.  As I said previously the customer service representatives are great whenever i get to talk to one, and he even said he could get someone out to me tomorrow which is great as it is my day off.  Brilliant service by anyones account! 
He then told me I would be phoned by 2pm to be told a time the engineer would come, either morning or evening tomorrow...perfect!  However its now 4.40pm and I haven't been told a time by phone or by website message.  I am hoping I will still get booked in or have been booked in for tomorrow and the message has just been overlooked, as being self employed I will lose money any other times I have to book off to wait for the engineer.
Any updates on this would be very much appreciated!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rowler, sorry about that - as per the call the appointment is booked for tomorrow morning between 8 and 1. We'll let you know what we get from our side, please do update the ticket or this post though once the visit's over so we know what happened from your point of view.
rowler
Grafter

Thanks for the info Matt! You're a star.  Will post tomorrow after he/she has been to test the line.
rowler
Grafter

Well its's 12.50pm and no-one turned up.  After reading someone else's experience on this board I was kind of expecting it to happen, but was keeping my hopes up.
I have no phone calls to the land line or mobile from the engineer or anyone else to let me know what is going on.  I have just PM'd a PN representative on here because I saw him online, but I am posting here to in the vain hope someone can help.  I am willing to wait on if there is someone coming, but I have no way to find that out!  Any chance I could get an update please?  Is the engineer still heading to me?
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rowler,
Looking at the fault notes it seems the engineer appointment was rejected at about 7:30pm (which is why I didn't pick up on it and call you, sorry about that) - one of our faults agents is on the phone at the moment in order to find out what's going on. We suspect it's because the team that books the appointments found an issue when checking the fault that didn't require the engineer visit. We'll have more information on that shortly, as soon as we do I'll let you know.
rowler
Grafter

Ok ty Matt.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Matt's unfortunately gone for the day, however I believe that one of our faults agents has given you a call explaining the situation.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rowler
Grafter

Yes, I was informed that BT had cancelled the appointment for some reason, and that is why nobody came.  The guy on the phone then said he was talking to a complaints manager at BT and would get the next engineer come at a time I specified, so hopefully tomorrow morning between 8am and 10am someone will come and take a look at my line!
Fingers crossed.  Updates (good or bad) to follow tomorrow.