Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last straw after 15 years?

FIXED
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Last straw after 15 years?

I posted on another thread last night in support of another customer finding accessing customer service impossible. I thought it better to start my own query to see if anyone can convince me not to cancel my contract renewal in October after 15 years as a Plusnet customer.

I suspected that our Plusnet modem failed three nights ago. There appeared to be a blue flash in the corner of the room where the modem sits and when we checked, the light was orange and the BB light flashing red. Tried all the guidance but lights remained the same. Changed cables and microfilter, still no joy. We have a dialling tone, so I was fairly sure it was the modem, but not certain.

Tried to contact customer service via chat (not available), by phone (not taking calls) and messaged on both Twitter and Facebook. I explained I was a key worker, working from home and reliant on internet. It's now three days later and zero response. I've spent the last two days using up most of my month's data allowance on my mobile tethering for work and have now managed to borrow a modem from a colleague which has got me back up and running. But I am seriously unimpressed by this customer service experience. So much so that after over 15 (!) years with Plusnet, this is likely to be my last.

Last night, I managed to raise a ticket - we'll see how long that takes to get any response.

28 REPLIES 28
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Last straw after 15 years?

Wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. BT HH6 readily available on Gumtree or eBay for £10 to £25, fire it up using Baldrick's excellent guide on this forum, and off you go with 20% better wifi as well. In fairness to PN like all call centres they have Covid problems -- last rep I spoke to was working from home, a one-bedroom apartment, and wishes he was back in the office to be with his friends again.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Similar thing that happened to my niece @Longliner 

She's 6 now and when I asked my sister how she was the response was "Bored, she is missing her friends from school".

Her school got called back in just before the summer holidays which we have now.

I really feel for all the people who have been affected, if I were studying my A Levels now, as opposed to when I did (some years ago) it would definitely affect me.

pint
Aspiring Pro

two questions:
what router model is it?
and does it smell of burning/tcp disinfectant?
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Hi pint - it's the Plunet Hub One. No smell of burning and it still powers up, but cannot connect to broadband (light stays orange and BB light flashes red). I've replaced it temporarily with a TP-Link VDSL modem/router borrowed from a friend, so that works which confirms that the Plusnet Hub is faulty.

Alex
Community Veteran

Sounds like you've done what you can @Uncle_Tupelo 

How old is your Hub One? Just wondering if PlusNet can replace it under warranty.

Oherwise I would get another cheapo Hub One or BT HH.

pint
Aspiring Pro

I've been with plusnet for a while, one of the things ive learnt over the years is that plusnet are a basics/budget provider.

The routers they send out are not exactly cutting edge ( the hub one is based on the long obsolete BT home hub 5a)

They are designed to be cheap to send out, and cheap and easy to support, if you want to get the best out of your connection, you are better off supplying your own router, and leaving the plus net supplied router in its box

philipinleeds
Hooked

I'm also finding it impossible to get through to customer service. Tried lots of times at different times.

Alex
Community Veteran

As frustrating as I can understand it is, give them a chance as I can understand it will be a very busy time for them at the moment.

My sister is working from home, given the fun and games that's going on at the moment. That's on the PlusNet connection.

I am the IT person in the house, although I don't live there. I run the IT in the house (that's my job). Miraclely my sister hasn't complained about the internet there once. That is pretty unprecedented (my sister not complaing to me about anything I mean), and thanks PlusNet for giving me a quiet life so far.

My sister doesn't even know the username and password (as I do). Not that it is a secret (and all that), she has never asked me.  

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

With respect Alex, it doesn't sound like your sister has needed to contact support. I've been WFH since lockdown started and it's been fine as long as I haven't required support. (That's probably more credit to Openreach than Plusnet in fairness).
But I think I've given them more than a fair chance. Over 4 days with zero response after trying to get help via phone, chat, Facebook, Twitter and a ticket is simply unacceptable. There is no excuse.
Alex
Community Veteran

Pretty much right @Uncle_Tupelo 

We've been lucky that I have only ever needed support twice, and I've been a customer for a long time.

I'll be getting lots of complaints from my sister if there were any problems. Hmmm - don't tempt fate there Alex. I might regret saying that 😁

I've never really used Twitter, though I have an account. Facebook I use - I just moan about stuff and swear far too much.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Uncle_Tupelo 

I agree that the current lack of suport from Plusnet is not good and will cause many to be considering moving on. However what is it that you are expecting from Plusnet?

As I understand it Plusnet will give you a free Hub One if it is less than 12 months old or if you take out a new contract. If your contract  is up for renewal in October anyway then this might be an option. Try ringing Plusnet and select the 'I'm thinking of leaving' option and see if you can do a deal. Else they charge an outrageous £100 for one.

Alternatively as @Longliner says earlier you can pick up a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site for very little money and get improved performance. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Frankly, I'm not expecting anything from Plusnet now. It's hard to see what they could do to convince me to stay. The requests for help stated that I was a key worker, working from home and had no internet connection. I suspected the modem but wasn't certain. I needed help.
I subsequently borrowed a modem which confirmed that was the issue but (a) by then, they were already woefully late to have not responded and more worryingly (b) had it been a line fault rather than a modem fault, I'd now have been the best part of a week with no internet, no contact, no support and no work. That's unacceptable.
What was I looking for originally? Confirmation that my line wasn't faulty and possibly a free replacement modem. But the former was the important thing. Knowing support is there when I need it. I guess I'll need to look elsewhere.
pint
Aspiring Pro

you may need to pay a little more for your broadband and phone, one of the ISPs I've heard good stuff about re support is andrews and arnold, however their pricing is more than plusnet etc.
Another thing worth looking at is if you are relying on your connection for work would be a business level contract.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Uncle_Tupelo 

I agree that support is currently very thin on the ground. I would have expected Plusnet to be more proactive in improving this. one solution would be to have re-established the ticket system. if they could do a deal with their employees maybe a night shift could have been introduced to address these tickets and hence keep numbers in the office at any time to a minimum.

However we are where we are. This means that self help, possibly with advice from this forum, is the best way forward if possible. Trying a different hub was obviously the quickest way to find out if it was your hub that had failed. I accept that not everyone has a spare but there is plenty of advice here on how to proceed if one can be borrowed and help is required to set it up.

Moving on is always an option, The risk of course is that the new ISP will be struggling during this pandemic and is no better.

At the end of the day Plusnet is a budget provider and as such provides a budget hub and budget support which is currently degraded further by a considerable margin. As @pint points out A&A have a very good reputation. I would however disagree that their price is only a 'little more'. You pays your money and make your choice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'