Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacklustre Plusnet

FIXED
Resto
Hooked

Lacklustre Plusnet

Is BT leaving Plusnet 'dead in the water'? I recently changed to fibre broadband and the service seems worse than before. When I go to the Plusnet website, it sometimes takes so long that it times out, and when I do get through, the page is often in plain text, when other companies are 'bells and whistles'. I looked at Uswitch a little while ago, did a speed test which showed my broadband was slower than ohers, slower than it should be. When I clicked on Plusnet's advertised offer, I got a white screen. When I clicked on any of the other providers, I got through to their home page immediately.

I have been through the problem with a couple of chaps at Plusnet, on the phone. They have been helpful, one taking me through the process of changing frequency to 2.4GHz. It has made no difference. I use Philips Hue and BBC iPlayer via ethernet. The Philps controller is on all the time, but not active. The iPlayer signal goes via the Mains to the TV. I don't think gthey are the culprits slowing things down.

The other thing which is so damned infuriating is that Pusnet provides pointless obstacles In the form of FAQs and unrequested videos in the way of direct enquiry. And there is no way to ask a simple question via standard email. The FAQs never answer the question you want to put.

Honestly guys, is Plusnet on the verge of closing down? I am a very disappointed customer.

5 REPLIES 5
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Lacklustre Plusnet

Fix

Hi @ Resto,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear of the connection issues you have had and can see you have contacted us about this here.

I appreciate you have followed some troubleshooting steps with us and apologise if this has not resolved the issue to your satisfaction. I would suggest also ensuring your Philips Hue bridge is not too close to the router, even if you are using an Ethernet cable. There's a lot of information online discussing the Philips Hue and Wi-Fi interference, so you may find something that is relevant to your situation by having a look at some of the online discussions about this. If you're unsure what is causing the issue, I'd also suggest completing removing the bridge for a couple of hours with the power off to see whether this makes a difference. You may need to do this for other devices too.

If the issue is a case of Wi-Fi interference then choosing a different channel should allow you to avoid interference, this is a process of trial and error so may take a few adjustments before you find the optimum channel. A good Wi-Fi analyser app may allow you to identify conflicting signals from other routers.

If problems persist and you have followed the Wi-Fi troubleshooting steps and connected to the test socket, please do not hesitate to raise a fault here.

Thanks - LF

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Is it likely that a WiFi interference issue would impact only connectivity to Plusnet sites?

"When I clicked on Plusnet's advertised offer, I got a white screen. When I clicked on any of the other providers, I got through to their home page immediately."

This sounds more like a routing issue ... similar to those which can be experienced when there has been failed payment events on an account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Resto
Hooked

I've never failed to pay! But it is a deradful website!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

We have seen some odd gremlins in times past - for example where user A has been in failed payments and then the dynamic IP address they were using has been picked up by user B, then user B has encountered odd issues ... IIRC akin to having difficulty accessing Plusnet sites.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Resto
Hooked

I stand by my overall criticism of the website. Example: I received an email inviting me to renew my line rental saver. Clicking on : www.plus.net/rentalsaver/

simply produced a blank page, most of the time - and then for a reason I know not, after several attempts, it delivered the renewal page. But that was not the end of it. I went through the procedure of renewal and completed the formalities. An error occurred and I was invited to try again later!