cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Joined

MrT
Grafter

Just Joined

Having recently received a letter from Talk Talk saying that they were transferring me to their next generation network for an additional £2 per month and at the same time attaching a download cap to my account, I thought it was time to change my ISP.
Plusnet offered the best value for money and was my eventual choice. I have moved to Plusnet Value. My usage is limited to Internet Banking, browsing, downloading updates to Windows, Norton, and various other programs plus downloading the occasional freeware program. I also watch the occasional program on the BBC iPlayer. The 10GB monthly cap will not be a problem.
The activation of my Plusnet Broadband was done on my requested date. Setup was so simple for both my laptop wireless connection and my desktop wired connection. The line speed has dropped to 1.7Mbs but I'm hopeful that the learning process over the next 10 days will sort this out and return me to my former speed of about 2.5Mbs.
Good news, so far!! Looking forward to a long and happy relationship. Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Just Joined

Welcome.
Just make sure that you actually cancel the old TT contract; the MAC process (if you used that) doesn't do that for you, though some ISP's will stop charging once they're aware that a MAC migration away has been actioned.
MrT
Grafter

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that first thing tomorrow.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If they were forcing a contract change you can almost certainly cancel without (significant) notice anyway.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Welcome to Plusnet and the Community Forums Smiley
You're assigned a default 2000kbps profile when the line is first activated so you would expect throughput around the 1800kbps mark. Leave everything powered up and plugged into the master socket and you might train in a little higher over the first seven days or so.
MrT
Grafter

I have been powering down overnight. My download speed has now dropped from 1462Kbs on 14Jul to 978Kbs this afternoon.  Shocked
I'll stay powered up for the next 7 to 10 days in the hope that speeds will return to those achieved with my Tiscali Service of about 2.5Mbs.
At my end the only change has been the substitution of the Thomson TG585 v7 Router for my Speedtouch 330 USB modem so I live in hope!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

MrT,
Although it can be sensible for saving on electricity bills powering down the router during the first 10 days can sometimes be a set back in terms of the line retraining to get up to the speeds you should be expecting.
We would definately advise leaving it on for now until at least the first 10 days are up.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Not applicable

Welcome to Plusnet and the forum MrT. hope that everything goes well and your connection is stable and good.
My usage is pretty much like yours and I also have Value.  It is more than enough so I reckon you should be just fine.
With regards to the router I leave mine on 24/7 and advise my friends to do the same - they all seem to be OK with this.