cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Awful!!

hateallthelies

Just Awful!!

I'm annoyed this morning, by yet another slap in the face by Plusnet! So I'm going to ramble on here for a bit. It probably won't be worth the read, but you take your chances.
So I looked around for internet on the 7th December for a place I was moving to on the 18th. I thought a couple of weeks is more than it's ever taken to set up my internet so I'll get ready early. I found the best deal to be with Plusnet. I wanted their fibre optic deal for a fiver. PLUS!!! It said that if I take a phone line with them too I save fifty quid. That'll do!! So I called them up. Unfortunately he told me that he couldn't get an engineer out until the 29th, but I'm an easy going chap and, as long as I have a date, I've got something to look forward to. I could manage 11 days without internet. EASY!
Then he said I needed to make my first payment. That's fine. I'm not made of money but I can afford £21.99! But NO!!!! It's EIGHTY BLOODY QUID!! WHAT??? He explained it's 21.99 for the first month. £6 for the most expensive small delivery system on earth! (which I think pretty much everyone charges so I guess that'll have to be ok, Plusnet.) And £49 activation! "WOOOOOAH" I said! I thought that was knocked off! NO! That's "Installation". They're different. I honestly can't remember that being mentioned anywhere nearly as clearly as "FIFTY POUNDS OFF WITH A PHONE LINE!". Kinda sneaky there! But, again, I guess everyone charges that, so it's more of an annoyance and the surprise than an all out complaint!
Anyway..... "Now that's all sorted and you bought our internet and phone package, there'll be an engineer round on the 29th to set it up."
The 29th arrived. I got an email followed by a text to say my home phone was ready. But I had no router! Oh no! So I called them up and politely enquired as to the whereabouts of said router and was told, "Oh, now your phone line is in we'll order it now." ORDER IT NOW?? I ORDERED IT BLOODY AGES AGO! It was then politely explained to me that the first person I spoke to COMPLETELY DIDN'T TELL ME THEY WERE DIFFERENT! Now I would have to wait ANOTHER 7-10 days for my internet! So over a month from my call! SO ANGRY!! If he had told me that on day one I could have accepted it, but now I have MORE waiting and MORE disappointment!!!
Then I got a message saying the 15th of January. THAT'S NOT SEVEN TO TEN DAYS! THAT WAS ANOTHER LIE! It was going to be 17 days! Without easy access to paying bills online, or work. Then I got a text message saying the 16th! Another day! This was REALLY getting to me so I called up and complained. For OVER A MONTH of disappointment they offered me a discount. He said, "We'll give you free internet for a month." Not bad. Apart from he ONLY meant the internet. Not the line rental. And not even the internet at normal price. The internet at special offer price! So a fiver. Now I'm not money grabbing. And I'm not desperate. But a fiver is just an insult! A fiver!
I pointed out that this seemed like a bit of a slap in the face considering the stress that they are putting on me with repeated incidents of utter disappointment, and he said it's fair, especially as there's also the "extra discount from the downtime between phone and broadband activation".
DISCOUNT???
HE SAID DISCOUNT!
He's taking the money I DON'T HAVE TO PAY because I DIDN'T ACTUALLY HAVE ANY SERVICE!!! and calling it a discount!! Like finding your grocery shopping is £20 more than you expected and being told they'll knock the £20 off because you DIDN'T actually buy any whiskey! I'm really grateful to Hyundai for knocking the £15995 off for the car I didn't drive away! DISCOUNT! Seriously! Was I supposed to be amazed and rush up and cuddle everyone for letting me off paying for something I DON'T HAVE? That was one of the most infuriating sentences I've ever encountered!
But now I'm stuck with them for 18 months, so what can you do? I hate it. With hindsight I should've just paid more and gone with someone better. I certainly will next time!
So...... just to finish off..... I checked my bank today. After the ridiculous fiver offer and my oh so generous "addition discount" guess how much of the £21.99 bill ACTUALLY came off???????Huh
NONE!!!!!!!!!
Hmmmmmm..... Couldn't have predicted that!!
There. I'm done. I don't know how this compares to other people's experiences of this company. But now I've got that off my chest I can go back to trying to have a good day before I go to work later.
I hope you are all happy and life is treating you well
Me. xx
(ps.... I might sound like a massive whinger here, but I just want to make one thing clear. I don't like lies, faffing about or hassle. IF they had just said from the beginning, "Oh, you have to have an engineer out on the 29th, but he only does the phone and then, when that's confirmed, we can go ahead and order the broadband. It's probably take a couple of weeks so I'm afraid it'll be a while but you'll get there." I would have accepted that. I would have planned for it. It wouldn't have been great, but it would have been the truth. It's the disappointment and the lack of open honesty that I find most upsetting. Thanks for reading. The end.)
dick:red All caps title edited as per forum rules.
2 REPLIES 2
scottjo
Dabbler

Re: Just Awful!!

I know exactly how you feel - they tell you one thing and do another. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. As for lies, I really not surprised.
However, their billing system works just fine. The only flipping thing that does!
Jon
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Just Awful!!

They seem to have a problem sending out routers.  I got my email notifying that my DSL was active and they hadn't even arranged to dispatch the router, so I needed to source something else. To be fair they didn't argue about cancelling the router and refunding the charge.  However I don't understand why they leave the router till the last minute.